Dear Evan Hansen

Liza's Headband
#100Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 8/26/15 at 9:22am

You are in the extreme minority in that you're trying to look for things to be offended by ("all-white cast"Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter' or to deem wrong/out of place (the mother storming out). It's musical theatre. You have to suspend disbelief. Yeah, most times a person in a difficult or embarrassing situation is not going to "storm out." But they obviously had to propel the story forward and give her emotional justification for a poignant musical number. If we were to hold this kind of storytelling to your standard, we'd have no WEST SIDE STORY (gang members dancing around?) or THE MUSIC MAN (a swindler con man really sticks around just to sing a song?). Give me a break. 

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#101Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 8/26/15 at 12:53pm

I was not the first person to point out the all-white cast; at least 2 people brought it up in this thread before me.

And thank you, I'm aware musical theatre is people playing pretend. Suspending belief does not mean ignoring jokes that don't land, or disruptive scenic designs, or songs that go on for too long or don't fit with the tone of the show. And the mom didn't have emotional justification for the poignant musical number. That was my point. The scene is lacking.

The show is in an out-of-town tryout; the whole point of which is to make changes. Otherwise, Ben Brantley would have posted a NY Times review based on the first preview. The show has the potential to be really good, but the aspects I mentioned stuck out to me as needing improvement.

You're apparently in the extreme minority who thinks the show is so great that it's beyond any criticism. It's definitely not. Nothing is.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#102Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 8/26/15 at 1:03pm

double post

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 8/26/15 at 01:03 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#103Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 8/26/15 at 1:49pm

orangeskittles said: "They can acknowledge the Hansens are in a lower socioeconomic class than the Murphys, I have no problem with that biographic content, but the scene with the mom storming out of the Murphys' house over the college fund offer felt very inauthentic. Someone in her position wouldn't have let the Murphys know she was embarrassed and offended by their offer in such a dramatic manner. To me, it came across as "We need an excuse for her to confront Evan so she can sing this song" and not as an authentic  character moment."

OK, that makes sense. The transition from the Murphys' to the Hansens' was rushed and kind of awkward to me (FWIW I saw it in previews). I do want the song to be there -- maybe it just needs a better way of getting there.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

LizzieCurry
#104Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 2/2/16 at 11:06am

Cast announced! (Minus standbys.) Looks like the only new additions are Alana and Larry.

http://www.theatermania.com/off-broadway/news/ben-platt-dear-evan-hansen-role-second-stage_75809.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=02feb2016

JM226
#105Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 2/2/16 at 11:16am

correct. Michael Park had another commitment and was replaced. the girl who played Alana was recast with an african-american actress from the soap opera Bold And The Beautiful. looking forward to this production. never got down to DC to see it. 

Shrek3
#106Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 2/2/16 at 11:21am

Liza loves Headbands.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#107Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 2/2/16 at 1:44pm

On the 2econd Stage website, they list out the understudies:

http://2st.com/shows/current-production/dear-evan-hansen#cast

Becca Ayers (u/s Cynthia, Heidi), Gerard Canonico (u/s Evan, Connor), Asa Somers (u/s Larry), Remy Zaken ((u/s Alana, Zoe)

LizzieCurry
#108Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 2/2/16 at 1:46pm

Cool, thanks!

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#109Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 2/2/16 at 1:50pm

That's a pretty rad understudy list alone . Happy to see Rachel Bay Jones and Jennifer Laura Thompson still with this. Those two always impress me.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#110Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 2/2/16 at 1:57pm

What's the best way to go about getting 30 under 30 tickets for this?

JM226
#111Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 2/2/16 at 2:23pm

new show artwork. just released. 

Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#112Dear Evan Hansen Review & 'A Love Letter'
Posted: 2/2/16 at 10:17pm

By choosing the "Youth" ticket option at checkout on their website??? 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#113Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/3/16 at 8:15am

What time do tickets go on sale for the Second Stage run online today?

HSky
#114Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/3/16 at 12:20pm

The public sale started at noon.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#115Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/3/16 at 12:26pm

Gotcha, HSky! Dear Evan Hansen Just snagged a couple tix for May. Can't wait!

HSky
#116Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 2/3/16 at 12:57pm

I subscribed to 2ST just to get several tickets to the run (and still may buy another one)...I loved it in DC.

Alessio2
#117Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 3/15/16 at 5:05pm

Going to NYC next month and really looking forward to checking this out...anyone have a discount code for this they would like to share? Much appreciated...

JM226
#118Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 3/15/16 at 5:27pm

previews begin next week and will be there. and also after opening. can't wait. loved it in DC 

laugard
#119Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 3/16/16 at 1:14pm

Very disappointed I won't be back home before this is scheduled to close. Anyone think there's any chance they may extend a bit if the run goes well? Or is that not typical for a show at Second Stage? I was really hoping to catch this, but won't be back in NY until early June, and it's set to close May 22. I realize it's impossible for anyone to know for sure...just asking for speculation or if there's any precedent of it happening before. Thanks! 

JM226
#120Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 3/16/16 at 1:47pm

no plans of extensions. will be surprised if it did that.  but if all goes well, you'll see it soon enough on broadway... don't worry

laugard
#121Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 3/16/16 at 1:49pm

JM226 said: "no plans of extensions. will be surprised if it did that.  but if all goes well, you'll see it soon enough on broadway... don't worry

Since it seems to be on track, that's definitely what I'm hoping for!

JM226
#122Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 3/16/16 at 3:18pm

you and me both.  cant wait! 

Dear Evan Hansen

Alessio2
#123Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 3/16/16 at 3:59pm

anyone at all? discount code?

freewilma
#124Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 3/16/16 at 4:04pm

I saw something on their website about a student and/or senior price....but that was all i saw online.  Coming the weekend of April 2 and debated long and hard about whether to see this a second time; after having enjoyed it at Arena Stage in DC.  Ended up going with Waitress instead and gambling that it may go on to Broadway next.