pixeltracker

Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?- Page 2

Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#25Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 7/15/15 at 12:44pm

Her music is not in poor taste according to these definitions of the word kitsch.

kitsch

noun: kitsch

1. 1.

art, objects, or design considered to be in poor taste because of excessive garishness or sentimentality, but sometimes appreciated in an ironic or knowing way.

"the lava lamp is an example of sixties kitsch"

adjective

adjective: kitsch

1. 1.

considered to be in poor taste but appreciated in an ironic or knowing way.

"the front room is stuffed with kitsch knickknacks, little glass and gilt ornaments"

Updated On: 7/15/15 at 12:44 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#26Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 7/15/15 at 12:53pm

I'm not talking about your opinion, Carlos.  I'm not even saying it's my opinion.  If you don't comprehend my meaning, I might get why you're being so defensive, but I think you actually do and still want to get rankled because you're a fan.  It's not necessary.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#27Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 7/15/15 at 1:09pm

I don’t think it will be a hit right from the get-go, but I think it may do well enough to make it to the spring, where I think it may then receive a bit of a bump through summer for the tourist season.

I don’t think it will run for years and years, but I think it certainly has the potential to have a decent run.

I think its biggest challenge will be opening in the fall, which can be such a dicey, post-tourist, pre-Award season time. I think it will come down to whether they can initially get people in the seats in the beginning of the run. If they do, I imagine it will have a good word of mouth as being a fun time at the theatre and that could keep them afloat to the holidays and then again until the spring/summer. The show is so damn fun and I think it’s a show both theatre fans and those who don’t frequent the theatre often can easily enjoy. That, with the built-in fan base of anyone who is a fan of Gloria’s music or Latino music in general, may give them enough momentum to have a respectable (if not a “hit” status) run.

CarlosAlberto
#28Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 7/15/15 at 1:49pm

I'm not getting rankled. What I am doing is making my point to Kad that the definition of kitsch and your use of it is perjorative.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#29Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 7/15/15 at 2:01pm

As long as we're being literal, I was not expressing contempt or disapproval.  And the term "kitsch" can be looked on as an affection for or appreciation of, just as described in the definition your provided: but sometimes appreciated in an ironic or knowing way.  If you think my use of the term is pejorative, then I guess that's how you want to feel.  If you think I intended to be insulting, you are wrong and I explained that.  If you need to defend or prove something, I hope you have gotten whatever it is out of your system.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 7/15/15 at 02:01 PM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#30Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 7/15/15 at 2:28pm

Next time a show had the word "Feet in its title it didn't go over so well.

see: Hot Feet. Lol. 

CarlosAlberto
#31Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 7/15/15 at 4:22pm

"As long as we're being literal, I was not expressing contempt or disapproval.  And the term "kitsch" can be looked on as an affection for or appreciation of, just as described in the definition your provided: but sometimes appreciated in an ironic or knowing way.  If you think my use of the term is pejorative, then I guess that's how you want to feel.  If you think I intended to be insulting, you are wrong and I explained that.  If you need to defend or prove something, I hope you have gotten whatever it is out of your system.
 "

Okay MisterMatt fair enough. I don't want to "fight" with anyone else on this board. I apologize for misconstruing/misinterpreting your original post.

Trish2
#32Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 7/15/15 at 5:14pm

Interesting observations. I think it could go either way, as being a critical hit and/or a financial hit are two different animals. But however it goes down, the reality is that it's a 17-18 million dollar musical. One of the biggest caps ever considering they are factoring in the cost of the Chicago run and transfer. That plus the Estefan clan producing along with their fees and even the use of some of the Miami Sound Machine. It's a huge number to recoup unless they fill most of those seats at the Marquis at top dollar. My guess it that it will sell well (reviews aside) during holidays and eventually make its way to tdf and tkts where those prices will not really help with overall costs (unless it runs for three or more years ). Even if their weekly nut is average, recouping that high a figure is a big chore.

I'm personally a fan of her music ,but will most likely see it at discount prices. That Marquis is a barn to fill.

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#33Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 7/17/15 at 10:57am

While i have no doubt that the Mitchell/Trujillo team will make this a colorful and splashy-looking production, something about it just screams Las Vegas. I'd bet it would do better for a run there based on her music alone. According to the reviews from Chicago the book is uneventful, sans her bus accident, and since Gloria & Emilio are producing, they've chosen to leave out some key details of their relationship which may have added more color to the story. So we may just have a sanitized, white-washed simple story with some of her great hits. I imagine it will attract tourists for awhile, but "hit status" ( mama mia, jersey boys) just doesn't enter my mind.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#34Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 7/17/15 at 11:01am

It does indeed seem better suited for Vegas. If it gets respectable reviews , it runs for awhile and than goes to Vegas which may have been their target all along.Broadway is no longer the be all and end all as it used to be.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 7/17/15 at 11:01 AM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#35Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 7/17/15 at 6:18pm

I can't help thinking that many on here seem to be underestimating the popularity of Gloria and her music. Im from the UK where we don't really have a big Latin community yet she was big here and very well loved. I think this could well and honestly I think in terms of an audience in their 30s 40s and even older this would appeal more than say Jersey Boys. It's gonna come down to marketing I think. 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

CarlosAlberto
#36Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 8/25/15 at 4:02pm

The advertisements for this show are atrocious. One of the most butt-ugly campaigns I've seen since Footloose: The Musical

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#37Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 8/25/15 at 4:05pm

That...that is just not a flattering look.

PatrickDennis92
#38Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 8/25/15 at 5:23pm

I tend to think it won't be a hit, and I mean no disrespect to Gloria-- I love her music. The fact is, it doesn't seem to me that it will achieve the very difficult goal of attracting full price ticket buyers in the current market, which is very competitive. I don't think it has the legs on its own to sell at top prices, and I don't think it has the producing team that would be effective in tricking the public into those prices against their will. Either will work, but not neither. That's my opinion. We shall see, or course.

Howard Shore
#39Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 8/25/15 at 5:42pm

of course it will be . its an excellent show I saw 5 times said no one ever

"

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#40Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 8/25/15 at 8:52pm

The ad makes it look like a Vegas impersonation. 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#41Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 8/25/15 at 8:58pm

Love or hate 'em, ABBA songs are still played quite alot on classics stations, as are the 4 Seasons, Carole King, classic 70's rock from ROCK OF AGES, etc.  They are even "retro cool" with younger crowds, so the MAMA MIA success shouldn't be all that shocking as far as the music's appeal.

ON YOUR FEET has a shot, but I think alot depends on the book, which from what I've read, is fairly weak.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#42Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 9/3/15 at 5:34pm

Well, the marquee art is a misfire, but the photo spreads in the breezeway make it a bit more enticing. I guess.

Updated On: 9/3/15 at 05:34 PM

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#43Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 9/3/15 at 6:40pm

I sadly bought 2 $89 orch seats for my dad's birthday in Nov. They aren't close to sold out, maybe 1/2 sold and I'm guessing at $89. I don't know why this show is happening. 

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#44Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 9/3/15 at 6:58pm

Why didn't you just wait for TDF? That theatre is a barn and will most likely be offering them at TKTS as well. Though $89 is not bad for a musical nowadays. At least you'll get to hear "some" of her hits.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#45Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 9/3/15 at 7:01pm

That pic of Emilio looks just  like the pic of Ricky Martin in evita. The theatre isn't THAT big and reviews will probably be important for this show like it was for beautiful 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#46Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 9/3/15 at 7:08pm

Doubt it will equal  Beautiful's  success

Poster Emeritus

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#47Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 9/3/15 at 7:11pm

CukorLover said: "Why didn't you just wait for TDF? That theatre is a barn and will most likely be offering them at TKTS as well. Though $89 is not bad for a musical nowadays. At least you'll get to hear "some" of her hits.

The $89 is a discount code. They're either $149 or more regular price. I can't remember 

"

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#48Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 9/4/15 at 12:05pm

Hellob, I figured you used a discount code to get that $89 price. The TDF price will be around 50, and the TKTS will ask for more around what you paid, possibly a little less. So ideally, you did ok.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#49Will ON YOUR FEET be the next hit?
Posted: 9/4/15 at 12:26pm

CukorLover said: "Hellob, I figured you used a discount code to get that $89 price. The TDF price will be around 50, and the TKTS will ask for more around what you paid, possibly a little less. So ideally, you did ok.

Idk if I qualify for a TDF account. The only category that might apply is non-exempt. My dad is retired but not sure if I can buy under his name. It's ok, bc I only sit on aisle otherwise I get claustrophobic.The date I bought didn't have aisle until M so I'd probably have issues if I waited it out but thanks so much for the tips! :)

"