Demanding "Star" Roles

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#25Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 8:10pm

"The Leading Player and Berthe in Pippin"

I'm sorry but how is Berthe a star role? Have you even seen the show, she's in one scene?... Do you mean Pippin from Pippin, who's in almost every scene???

David2 Profile Photo
David2
#26Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/16/15 at 8:22pm

Berthe is a featured role 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#27Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 1:36am

RE: Berthe: She's not a starring role, but she is often played by a starry actress, which is what I think that poster meant. Also the acrobatics make it somewhat "demanding," as the thread title asks for. However, I agree with posters above, I don't really think she qualifies. 

To what degree was Scandalous written FOR Carolee? I'm sure she was on board for a while, but I'm not sure how early in the writing process she became attached. Does anyone know? Either way, based on what I've heard, that role could definitely be considered a demanding "star" role. 

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#28Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 2:01am

I would argue that Elphaba is a very demanding star role, being one of the most difficult parts to sing on Broadway right now.

Hedwig is an obvious choice.

Jekyll and Hyde in...well, Jekyll & Hyde is another good example of a starring role that's demanding. Without a good actor playing the leading roles, the entire show falls apart; not even a well-sung Lucy could save it.

If we're going by roles written particularly for someone to star in, both If/Then and Phantom come to mind, with Elizabeth for Idina Menzel and Christine for Sarah Brightman, respectively.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#29Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 6:17am

Elle Woods

ChiTheaterFan
#30Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 7:09am

The lead in hand to God would be extremely demanding since you basically play two parts and have to switch between them at the drop of a hat. 

Also curious incident is very physically demanding. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 8:25am

Berthe only has acrobatics in Paulus' revival.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#32Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 10:55am

Evita, Diana, Matilda and miss trunchbull, Carole King. My last one maybe a bad example because it isn't the star, but I feel it's a very demanding role and an emotional journey. Sylvia Davies.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#33Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 10:56am

Evita, Diana, Matilda and miss trunchbull, Carole King. My last one maybe a bad example because it isn't the star, but I feel it's a very demanding role and an emotional journey. Sylvia Davies.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Pootie2
#34Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 11:24am

"The lead in hand to God would be extremely demanding since you basically play two parts and have to switch between them at the drop of a hat. "

"If we're going by roles written particularly for someone to star in, both If/Then and Phantom come to mind, with Elizabeth for Idina Menzel and Christine for Sarah Brightman, respectively.

"

Elizabeth of IF/THEN covers both (or all) definitions going on in this thread.

It was written around Menzel, and it's an extremely demanding role where she's on stage the entire time except for a couple songs, playing two roles where she has to "switch between them at the drop of a hat" (or glasses). One can even argue that the show needs a star to carry it, precisely because it was written around Menzel as the headliner to begin with. (Whether the show can stand on its own while on tour remains to be seen.)

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

eelw
#35Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 11:40am

With the exception of the single mention, but goes to show why Kristin didn't win Tony for Lily Garland.  Total lack of acknowledgement of easily a far more difficult role than 90% of the ones mentioned in this topic.

mailhandler777
#36Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 12:47pm

Jenna in Waitress. Jessie is onstage 99% of the time. 

Evan Hansen in Dear Evan Hansen. 

Elle Woods in Legally Blonde 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#37Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 2:47pm

Hello, Dolly! - Dolly Levi

Mame - Mame Dennis

My Fair Lady - Henry Higgins

How to Succeed - J. Pierpont Finch

The Producers - Max Bialystock

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#38Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 2:58pm

King Lear.

Re: Berthe in Pippin; even in the Paulus revival, the heavy work was being done by her partner. In the normal version of the show, the role is not remotely demanding - 1 scene and song, with the option of being in the opening and the finale as an ensemble member (I don't believe the original Berthe was in either).

Outoftowner2
#39Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 7:45pm

Billy Elliot, Pippin, Jesus and Judas in Superstar.  

Updated On: 8/17/15 at 07:45 PM

David2 Profile Photo
David2
#40Demanding Star Vehicles
Posted: 8/17/15 at 8:09pm

I have to second that for Waitress. Jenna is an extremely demanding role and is onstage nearly the whole show.