pixeltracker

Move Theaters instead of Close- Page 2

Move Theaters instead of Close

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#25Move Theaters instead of Close
Posted: 9/1/15 at 10:55am

What was the reason for August: Osage County's move from the Imperial to the Music Box?

Was it because of Billy Elliot or other reasons?

BroadMagTech
#26Move Theaters instead of Close
Posted: 9/1/15 at 11:00am

That would be awesome

nasty_khakis
#27Move Theaters instead of Close
Posted: 9/1/15 at 11:00am

August was only scheduled to run for a certain time period and they wanted to make it an open run, but Billy Elliot was already scheduled to start MAJOR renovation work on the subbasement of the Imperial because of the two-leveled set that needed to rise up from the stage. August was doing very well at the time and it was economically wise to switch theatres.

neonlightsxo
#28Move Theaters instead of Close
Posted: 9/1/15 at 11:01am

Billy Elliot was the reason for the move to the Music Box, yes.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#29Move Theaters instead of Close
Posted: 9/1/15 at 11:02am

Chicago had to vacate the Richard Rodgers to make way for... Steel Pier!  That didn't work out so well.  

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

InnerMonologue Profile Photo
InnerMonologue
#30Move Theaters instead of Close
Posted: 9/1/15 at 11:04am

[delete]

Updated On: 9/1/15 at 11:04 AM

AEA AGMA SM
#31Move Theaters instead of Close
Posted: 9/1/15 at 11:13am

Chicago and Steel Pier did share a producer (PACE Theatrical Group, who seem to have been a pretty big producing force in the 90s, with Tommy, the revival of Grease, and the Dennehy revival of Death of a Salesman amongst their credits). I would hazard a guess that whether they went into this revival with the Weisslers already knowing that Steel Pier was coming in or whether that happened after the fact the discussions to move Chicago over to the Shubert were very amicable.

(Side note: even though Big flopped in there pretty quickly, I forgot just how long of a run Crazy for You really had there)

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#32Move Theaters instead of Close
Posted: 9/1/15 at 11:17am

Shows used to move more often because the laborerers who would take down sets could be paid very little. That's why out of town tryouts used to be more common. A famous example is with Annie Get Your Gun, in which the sets were too heavy for the Imperial walls, so within two days they were starting a third out of town tryout while the Imperial was being reinforced.

rsaleh
#33Move Theaters instead of Close
Posted: 9/1/15 at 3:21pm

I wish Spring Awakening would move theatres instead of just ending its run.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#34Move Theaters instead of Close
Posted: 9/1/15 at 3:24pm

I hope it ends up moving too

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY