pixeltracker

Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?- Page 2

Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?

BobPopa Profile Photo
BobPopa
#25Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/6/15 at 1:10pm

For those who actually know the play, they may realize that naivete of Anne's character is one of the hallmarks of the piece, and if you have had time to reflect on that age, you are going to be hard pressed to show that trait, acting talent or not.

For those talking community and high school casting....it's not valid, the comparison of the Broadway casting IS valid, and those mentioning far away should know that the theatre at which this is being performed is a 650 seat thrust stage. Most of the audience will be quite close and Remy does not look 13 or 16. 

It also depends on the type of show, for this non fiction drama, it would be more appropriate and to cast closer to the age, then in other shows.

"He wants to know who cares. I care you stupid fool we all care..." John Wilkes Booth (Assassins)

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#26Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/6/15 at 1:19pm

I played Anne in eighth grade in a community production.The girl playing Margot was in high school and the boy playing Peter was my age but looked older. My English teacher at the time played Miep. To this day it was my hardest role and also my favorite. But I can understand not wanting to cast a minor if it can be avoided. 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#27Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/6/15 at 4:35pm

There was no way they'd cast an actress under the age of 18. A regional theater doesn't want to deal with the hassle and expense of a child actor if they can avoid it. 

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#28Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/7/15 at 10:15am

And she's not even Dutch, how appalling.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

jemjeb2
#29Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/7/15 at 10:50am

FishermanBob said: "Jeffrey Karasarides said: "I actually saw Natalie Portman play her on Broadway back in the late '90s and she was great. I think she was 46 at the time so it may work out in the 

She was actually 16 at the time.

Um, Fish, we got it. Your sarcasm on this one was slightly lame.

It's very a very common thing to see actors in their late 20's-early 30's play teenagers on stage because it's all from a distance. In film where the camera never lies, you know the actors have to be much more age specific to the character.

Wow, thanks for the correction Jeffrey. I could have sworn she was 46 at the time which made it amazing that she was able to convincingly play a 13 year old. I just thought she worked out a lot. Now that you so kindly confirmed she was only 16, I'm not nearly so impressed. Always wondered what ever happened to her after she did that play?

"

"

Updated On: 9/7/15 at 10:50 AM

jemjeb2
#30Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/7/15 at 10:53am

dramamama611 said: "Most people in the audience won't know or care about her real age. Lots of those that DO, still won't care..as king as her acting and look are "right".8

You're VERY well informed. Was a survey taken to determine how "most" feel?

"

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/7/15 at 11:01am

Yes.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#32Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/7/15 at 12:37pm

@jemjeb2 I wasn't the one who said she was actually 16 at the time. That was a quote from someone else. Please try harder to keep up.

jemjeb2
#33Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/7/15 at 1:29pm

FishermanBob said: "@jemjeb2 I wasn't the one who said she was actually 16 at the time. That was a quote from someone else. Please try harder to keep up.

"

Yes - I got that. I was referring to your, "wow, Jeffrey thanks for the correction....etc" and my point is the same.  My comment was placed at the wrong place in the quoted message.

Updated On: 9/7/15 at 01:29 PM

jemjeb2
#34Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/7/15 at 1:33pm

dramamama611 said: "Yes.

Lol.  Liar, liar pants on fire!

BobPopa Profile Photo
BobPopa
#35Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:09am

adamgreer said: "There was no way they'd cast an actress under the age of 18. A regional theater doesn't want to deal with the hassle and expense of a child actor if they can avoid it. 

What in the world would make you say something like that. Regional Theatre hire children ALL that time. My son is 11 years old, here has appeared in 7 professional regional theatre productions at 4 different regional theatres in 2 states, and has been on auditions for 7 to 10 other "Regional" theatres in 4 other states. Have you never heard of Mary Poppins, Les Miserables, A Christmas Story...etc. Not to mention as I said in my post I saw a regional production of The Diary of Anne Frank in 2014 for 3 actors under the age of 18. Plus consider the fact that in many states it is easy to hire students/children non-union, the laws are very relaxed in many states for Child Entertainers and if you hire non-union kids, the cost is very..very affordable.

"

"He wants to know who cares. I care you stupid fool we all care..." John Wilkes Booth (Assassins)
Updated On: 9/9/15 at 12:09 AM

dramamama611
#36Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/9/15 at 2:56am

Did you miss the part where he said if they can avoid it?  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dave19
#37Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/9/15 at 4:30am

Jordan Catalano said: "Jennifer Holliday would be the definitive Anne. 

"

Yes, that would definitely earn her a Black Reel award.

If that means a 50 year old Anne Frank who is by no means the right type, so be it. If that means a 20 year old Valjean who is by no means the right type, so be it.

Updated On: 9/9/15 at 04:30 AM

dramamama611
#38Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/9/15 at 5:18am

Do you really think that comment was sincere?

Dave19
#39Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/9/15 at 8:18am

dramamama611 said: "Do you really think that comment was sincere?

"

Nope.

I think he meant it as a joke. Which is weird, because it is the reality of the business.

That's why I like to think he thought it was funny, because there is truth in it.

BobPopa Profile Photo
BobPopa
#40Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/9/15 at 8:50am

dramamama611 said: "Did you miss the part where he said if they can avoid it? " 

Didn't miss a thing, my post stands as written. 

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#41Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/9/15 at 12:14pm

Been checking to see if the theater has seen this thread, realized the error of their ways and recast. Unfortunately, looks like they're going ahead as planned. Well Bob, you fought the good fight. Bummer.

Updated On: 9/9/15 at 12:14 PM

BobPopa Profile Photo
BobPopa
#42Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/9/15 at 8:38pm

FishermanBob said: "Been checking to see if the theater has seen this thread, realized the error of their ways and recast. Unfortunately, looks like they're going ahead as planned. Well Bob, you fought the good fight. Bummer.

Right...because that was totally my intention by posting on a topic with a ? mark on a open chat board, in which I gave my opinion and then replied to some questions on my opinion or  a comment that no basis in fact. Next week I am going to petition Broadway World Boise to nominate me for a 2015 Broadway World Award and submit my #SIP sneaking backstage of the national tour of Beautiful

"

mailhandler777
#43Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 9/10/15 at 5:21am

Alison Luff played Jo March in Little Women and she is 15 when it starts out. She ages throughout the show though to 25 which is actually Alison's age. 

There is a 24yr old in Matilda that understudies all the kids except for Matilda herself. Also the first 2 Miss Honeys were in their 40's or close to it and she is supposed to be 22. 

If Remy is convincing in the role her age shouldn't matter nor should we look at her and say wow she's way too old to be playing this part.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

#44Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 10/5/15 at 1:36pm

Reviews:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/theater-dance/2015/10/02/Stage-review-Pittsburgh-Public-Theater-adds-a-moving-chapter-to-Anne-Frank-s-legacy/stories/201510020244

As the title character, Remy Zaken (“Spring Awakening” on Broadway) is perfect in her imperfections. The petite actress who looks the part also embodies a budding teen through and through — her adoration of her father at her mother’s expense, busting a ballet move during one of her nonstop rants, cruel and annoying one minute, caring and entertaining the next.  We know Ms. Zaken’s Anna. She is a sister, a daughter, a friend in our sphere. She makes knowing what’s to come is all the more devastating.

Pittsburgh Tribune

http://triblive.com/aande/theaterarts/9102244-74/anne-frank-theater#axzz3ni0W5HOm

Playing young Anne Frank is no easy task. But 26-year-old Remy Zaken handles Anne's transition from outspoken, self-involved child to a more sensitive, thoughtful but still-lively 15-year-old with seamless plausibility.

Local Pittsburgh Magazine

http://local-pittsburgh.com/culture/the-diary-of-anne-frank-is-pure-tragic-brilliance/

Remy Zaken as Anne Frank rips the soul. Her snarky, yet exuberant demeanor makes you fall in love with joyful thoughts, and for one moment, we all believed that everyone was good.  Zaken’s strength, wit, and fragility all combined for a relevant performance that truly touched the audience. Her broken sense of self, thirst for understanding and unconventional thought process pulled at the heart strings as she navigates life, love, hope, anger, and regret.  Zaken, a graduate of Columbia University, embodied Frank with purity and intent. Through the darkened door in which Frank lives, Zaken characterizes the journey with elegance and spunk. Laughing in the face of a fundamental dissection of the human race, the audience fell hard for Frank, and were truly saddened that they never knew her.  As I was surrounded by tears of men and women at the closing of the show, I realized the mastery that Zaken had achieved. A true audience envelopment.  And while Zaken was fabulous, so was her supporting cast, each adding relevancy and depth to the soul crushing dynamic.

dramamama611
#45Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 10/5/15 at 1:55pm

See?

(THanks for posting.)

#46Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 10/5/15 at 6:05pm

You're welcome.  Since people seem interested in this discussion, here's another review.

Pittsburgh Stage Online Magazine

http://pghstage.com/drupal_old/node/653

Because the play is told intimately through Anne’s perspective, it allows the audience to lose their consciousness to the horrid reality of the world outside the annex and into her own poignant balance of naivety and maturity, fear and hope. Remy Zaken luminously controls this dichotomy through Anne’s formative years spent in hiding. She starts off jovial, oblivious almost but finds herself dealing with a search for identity and sense of sympathy without ever losing her radiant core.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#47Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:02pm

Saw this tonight and with this thread in mind, I could have laughed when she stepped on stage.

She can completely pass for mid teens, probably more than a lot of younger people I've seen. She can't be more than around five foot and acted perfectly fine as an adolescent.

If you all hadn't had a crap attack over it I never would have known she was almost 30. 

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

dramamama611
#48Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 10/7/15 at 3:34pm

Well, not everyone, there were SOME of us that thought it would work out!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#49Remy Zaken too Old for Anne Frank?
Posted: 10/7/15 at 5:00pm

I'm seeing this soon, and boy do these reviews have me excited!