pixeltracker

Musicals without Dancing- Page 2

Musicals without Dancing

asmith0307
#25Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/21/15 at 8:39pm

Next to Normal had a little choreography. I'm Alive and My Psychopharmacologist and I both had dancing (given it was very basic, but it existed none the less). 

AEA AGMA SM
#26Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/22/15 at 11:16pm

Choreography does not necessarily have to have a line of chorus girls come out and start tapping in unison to be great. Some of the shows listed definitely have choreographic needs (imagine A Little Night Music with nobody waltzing, or people waltzing badly). 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#27Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/23/15 at 8:03am

True, but I have seen musical staging by directors with a certain adroitness with movement and patterns, who would never call themselves choreographers. Such a director could easily handle the movement needs of Night Music and other such musicals.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#28Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/23/15 at 8:31am

In addition to Contact, RENT also has dancing in Tango: Maureen, when Mark and Joanne dance the tango. 

MegInManhattan
#29Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/23/15 at 1:00pm

The Last Five Years maybe?

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#30Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/24/15 at 8:52pm

Yeah, originally Pat Birch certainly had a lot of waltzing in Night Music (not just during the opening but in some scene transitions, etc.)  I think that counts.

Was South Pacific mentioned?  Josh Logan purposefully didn't hire a choreographer and apparently largely let actors created their own dances for things like Was That Man because he wanted it to seem spontaneous and natural--the video of the 1950s London production shows this clearly (even Honey Bun is barely what I'd call choreographed, though I suppose the original point was about dancing and I suppose, as well, that it is dancing.)

mamaleh
#31Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/25/15 at 8:42am

If I recall correctly, COMPANY's choreography was fairly scant, more like moving or musical staging.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#32Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/25/15 at 10:26am

^ Well, Side by Side by Side featured thoroughly choreographed tap-dancing, and Tick-Tock was a 3-minute solo dance number alone onstage. Michael Bennet's fans would be disappointed to hear COMPANY called a show without dancing.

serene_embers
#33Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/25/15 at 12:11pm

If I recall, Bonnie & Clyde had very little dancing choreography. Aside from Bonnie/Laura's movements in "How about a dance?" and the dancing in "God's Arms Are Always Open".

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#34Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/25/15 at 3:06pm

I believe Camelot had very little dancing in it. I think spinning hoops in The Lusty Month of May was about it?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#35Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/25/15 at 3:20pm

Lizzie will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the original production of Les Mis didn't even have a choreographer or someone billed for musical staging (a term that didn't exist back then!).

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#36Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/25/15 at 3:31pm

Sweeney Todd had minimal choreography. 

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#37Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/25/15 at 3:49pm

Lizzie will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the original production of Les Mis didn't even have a choreographer or someone billed for musical staging (a term that didn't exist back then!).

The billing of "Musical Staging" absolutely was in use well before Les Mis.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#38Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/25/15 at 3:56pm

Interesting, I thought it was a more modern term.  Or maybe I've just noticed more popular usage lately.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#39Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/25/15 at 4:11pm

I couldn't say when the term "musical staging" came into being, but it was used in 1970 by Michael Bennett for Company. So the term has been around for at least 45 years.

FBay
#40Musicals without Dancing
Posted: 9/25/15 at 4:40pm

Gypsy