pixeltracker

Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16- Page 2

Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#25Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 10:17am

George Takei will not be getting a nomination. He is a featured actor, with no songs. He is there because it is his story, his passion project, and his character is cute and sweet, but when you have a possible?

Bob Martin says hi.

woeisme3
#26Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:02am

BEST MUSICAL

Hamilton- wins

American Psycho

Waitress

School of Rock

(Shuflle Along depending on what they're calling it)

BEST PLAY

The Humans-wins

Eclipsed

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL

The Color Purple- wins

Fiddler on the Rood

She Loves Me

(Spring Awakening- it might get side show'd(

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY

A View From The Bridge- wins

The Crucible

Fool For Love

(Sylvia- maybe)

theatreguy12
#27Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:36am

I have tickets for Hamilton and American Psycho for the end of March, so hoping that American Psycho lives up to its hype, as well.  

It already has Benjamin Walker and Alice Ripley lined up, right?  And, I think, Helene Yorke, who I loved in Bullets Over Broadway.  Are they all confirmed?  Or just names floating around still?

DramaTeach said: "I really think American Psycho is being underestimated.  Will it win against Hamilton?  No.  Will it be an entertaining night of theater with dynamic performances and music?  Yes.  I'm looking forward to that one and am hoping it lives up to my expectations.  Wonder when the full cast will be announced.

Having seen Disaster off-Broadway, I cannot see it getting any nominations other than a supporting one for Jennifer Simard.  That's the reason she's being brought over from the original (everyone else has been replaced by bigger names).  However, the supporting actress in a musical category is looking pretty fierce, so I don't see it happening."

Updated On: 12/29/15 at 11:36 AM

RingOfKeys2 Profile Photo
RingOfKeys2
#28Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 2:43pm

We don't know where Brian Stokes Mitchell and/or Billy Porter will be eligible (featured vs leading) but I imagine both of them have the potential to be strong contenders at least for nominations. Renee Elise Goldsberry seems to be a lock for Featured Actress, and while I think Daveed Diggs is absolutely deserving of winning Featured Actor (his performance was honestly my favorite) it is too soon to say. I would love to see Daveed Diggs and Christopher Jackson nominated here, with Jonathon Groff as a third contender if there's room. And as far as leading actor goes, part of me does feel like it is Danny Burstein's year and would love to see him take home his long deserved Tony, but after seeing his performance and Hamilton, I can't help but feeling like Leslie Odom Jr's performance blew my mind way more. Leslie winning Leading Actor would be well deserved, but then again I saw Fiddler in previews and would love to go back to see how Danny's performance has evolved. And as someone pointed out there is always the possibility of Lin and Leslie splitting the vote giving Danny an edge. I really believe it will be Danny or Leslie though, I can't think of anyone else. Lin will be just fine, going home with Best Musical, Book, and Score, not to mention several other awards for his show. 

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#29Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 2:48pm

Honestly, Leslie deserves it more than Danny. Danny gives a good performance but just like Kelli last year, Danny is  riding the overdue factor like no tomorrow. Danny's Tevye is good but his performance wasn't a revelation or anything. Leslie's performance is much more inspired  in my opinion. But as we know from last year's tonys, overdue factor is the be all and end all....

Updated On: 12/29/15 at 02:48 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#30Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 3:33pm

^Not just the fact that Burstein's overdue, but also the fact that he's been working on Broadway for over 20 years. First starting off in ensemble/understudy roles before getting his first principal role in The Drowsy Chaperone in 2006, and is now spending his first time ever leading a Broadway show especially in a role he never would've imagined himself playing. So if you ask me, I think Danny Burstein has a lot more going for him this year than Kelli O'Hara did last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceT97-RiEAU&index=10&list=FLWaIC0i0TlBXruiAwh_SgPw

If Tony voters would want to acknowledge this revival of Fiddler on the Roof in any way, shape, or form, I think Danny Burstein would be a great way to do so.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#31Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 3:42pm

Honestly, I'm not interested in Danny's past work (which is exceptional) but none of that should be a factor when deciding who is the best actor of THIS year. If people want to give Danny an award for his body of work then give him a lifetime achievement award. His past credits shouldn't matter to the the  committee. 

Personally I think Danny should have won years ago. Leslie in my opinion is giving the performance of the year. 

Updated On: 12/29/15 at 03:42 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#32Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 3:53pm

Danny is such a Kelli situation. Kelli should have won for bridges and piazza and not for king and I while Danny should have won for pacific.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#33Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 4:11pm

I'm predicting the following for Lead Actor in a Musical:

1. Leslie Odom, Jr. (win)

2. Lin-Manuel Miranda

3. Danny Burstein

4. Alex Brightman

Can't decide who the fifth spot will go to (almost certainly a spring performance), but I feel like the four I've listed are total locks for that category. Thoughts?

Updated On: 12/29/15 at 04:11 PM

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#34Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 4:17pm

I actually don't think Lin is that much of a lock.

RingOfKeys2
#35Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 4:22pm

Of course Lin is a lock - you kidding me?

RingOfKeys2
#36Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 4:30pm

What seems most uncertain to me is which shows will be nominated for Best Musical. I'd say the two locks right now are Hamilton and School of Rock. Which leaves 2-3 other spaces, and you have American Psycho, Allegiance, On Your Feet, Bright Star, Tuck Everlasting, and Waitress. I may even be forgetting some extra. This is a massive year for new musicals and it seems some shows will have to be shut out that would most certainly have been nominated in less dense years. This is a great season. 

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#37Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 4:36pm

How funny that you people are talking about locks in December. NO ONE is a lock at this point. And no Lin is not a lock for Best Actor. He most likely will be a lock for his behind the scenes work, but there are many performances coming in the spring that could upset Lin's chances at a best actor nomination. 

It's obvious that Lin has almost no shot at a Best Actor Win, and while the reviews praised Lin's music and lyrics, the reviews for his ACTING performance certainly did not rival Burstein's, Brightman's, or Leslie. So again, NO he isn't a lock.

He certainly COULD get in, but there are certainly no REAL locks at this point except probably Burstein.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#38Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 4:38pm

I think with a juggernaut as big as Hamilton, Lin is likely going to be nominated for Lead Actor in a Musical. A win in that category will be a long shot, especially since he's likely already going to be acknowledged for Book and/or Score.

I agree that four of the likely nominees for Lead Actor in a Musical will be:
Alex Brightman-School of Rock
Danny Burstein-Fiddler on the Roof
Lin-Manuel Miranda-Hamilton
Leslie Odom, Jr.-Hamilton

Whoever ends up getting the fifth (or if there is a tie, sixth) slot will probably be ether...
Andrew Keenan-Bolger-Tuck Everlasting
Zachary Levi-She Loves Me
Benjamin Walker-American Psycho

Objectively speaking, I think a reason why voters take sentiment into account is because if they were voting on the performances alone, they'd probably have such a hard time deciding what was the best performance since each of the nominees give great performances in their own unique ways.

Updated On: 12/29/15 at 04:38 PM

funhamilton_rent
#39Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 4:40pm

I actually think that Hamilton and American Psycho are the two locks. Waitress and School of Rock are both very likely. On Your Feet! is also a contender. Everything else is pretty much screwed. I LOVE Disaster and Bright Star, but neither of them are getting noms/wins.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#40Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 4:43pm

" I think a reason why voters take sentiment into account is because if they were voting on the performances alone, they'd probably have such a hard time deciding what was the best performance since each of the nominees give great performances in their own unique ways."

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#41Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 4:46pm

Anyhow, The only person in Hamilton that has a great shot at winning is Renee. But even she isn't a lock to win with the Color Purple girls getting incredible reviews. Hamilton could very well go home empty handed in all the acting categories. 

BroadwayConcierge
#42Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 6:23pm

Hamilton22 said: "Hamilton could very well go home empty handed in all the acting categories."

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#43Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 6:32pm

I mean, are you really that incapable of thought that you have to do gifs at every post?  A college student with a Wicked profile picture....You're sure showin me. 

lulz.

BroadwayConcierge
#44Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 6:40pm

Demonstrating thought to somebody who has written such ridiculously asinine things isn't exactly on my to-do list, bud.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#45Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 6:43pm

Yet you write such asinine comments and then when you get  called out you go into gif mode like the skeeze you are.

Actually I've changed my mind, I'd rather see funny gifs than have to read your crap comments. You should definitely be seen and not heard. OMG that was a line from WICKED. EL OH EL. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#46Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 6:44pm

Hamilton22 said: "The only person in Hamilton that has a great shot at winning is Renee. But even she isn't a lock to win with the Color Purple girls getting incredible reviews. Hamilton could very well go home empty handed in all the acting categories. "

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

BroadwayConcierge
#47Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 6:47pm

Hamilton22 said: "...when you get  called out..."

This is what's funny; nobody on these boards has ever once "called me out" except for you, because you clearly have an intense vendetta against anybody who questions you. You need to calm down.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#48Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 6:49pm

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#49Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 12/29/15 at 6:50pm

you're so incapable of thought you posted a gif!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."