Wanna be in a show?

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2Wanna be in a show?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 9:02pm

Does anyone ever say yes?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Wanna be in a show?
Posted: 10/27/15 at 10:29pm

Considering they've been doing this over a year now...maybe two, people are obviously saying yes...even if not on the boards for all to see.  

This poster has never pretended to be anything other than what he is, so why continuously **** all over him?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AfterWorkTheater
#4Wanna be in a show?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 1:53pm

Hey DramaMama611 - I appreciate the positive vibes.  Some background:  AfterWork Theater has been going strong for more than three years now.  We've done fourteen productions (including Urinetown, which opens in two weeks!) and since you asked, ClydeBarrow, more than 300 people have said yes.  Isn't that awesome?!  In fact, 74% of those people have returned for multiple productions.  It's a wonderful feeling to give non-professional performers the opportunity to live their dreams too.  #theater4all #noauditionrequired

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#5Wanna be in a show?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 2:24pm

Wow this is the first time I have heard of this organization.  Best wishes.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#6Wanna be in a show?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 2:29pm

It's just like community theatre, which I support whole-heartedly. I might look askance at the pay-to-be-involved aspect, but if it's worth it to someone who wants to perform - go for it.

dramamama611
#7Wanna be in a show?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 3:19pm

I'm not for that either...but it likely helps pay for rehearsal & performance space, costumes, building set, rights and royalties. Ain't cheap putting up theater, even for amateurs.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Liza's Headband
#8Wanna be in a show?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 3:25pm

And yet there are thousands of community theatre companies that miraculously do that every day of every week of every month of every year! I think it's absolutely ridiculous to charge people for participating in amateur theatre... It's not even educational (like youth theatre). Folks, skip on this "pay for play" idea and go get involved with a real, legitimate community theatre that covers its production costs with donations/grants & ticket sales. Don't fall victim to this ridiculous scheme. 

dramamama611
#9Wanna be in a show?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 4:34pm

Good lord, just because its not to YOUR liking doesn't make it a scheme.   

I know plenty of theaters that do this.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#10Wanna be in a show?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 5:15pm

Nothing in life is free. 

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

theminutepast
#11Wanna be in a show?
Posted: 10/28/15 at 6:38pm

I'm in their production of Urinetown right now. Honestly, I'm someone with a full-time job that I absolutely love and don't want to give up, but I do enjoy performing. AWT fits in my life and is flexible with scheduling. It can be exhausting to trek out to community theaters on Long Island, Queens, New Jersey, or Yonkers for auditions and rehearsals. The last callback I did prior to AWT involved a two hour commute each way to Queens and the cost to get there for all the rehearsals and performances would have equaled the cost of paying to perform in Urinetown with AWT, and then to add insult to injury, they only cast familiar faces including a few teenagers who had absolutely no dance training in dance roles. It's not easy to perform for fun in New York, so I'm happy to be in AWT and the people I've met so far have been talented, funny, and good people. 

Updated On: 10/28/15 at 06:38 PM

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#12Wanna be in a show?
Posted: 10/29/15 at 8:00am

"Nothing in life is free. "

Oh, Patti LuPone FANatic, you couldn't be more wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JVx3KMH6Q

Videos