Ear Piece For Lines

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#50Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/8/15 at 12:57am

Even Dame Cecily Tyson? 

VintageSnarker
#51Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/8/15 at 2:12am

Zach's "Listen, now listen. Larry has exactly the style I'm looking for, very thirties. Everyone keep your eye on him. Let's do it again. A five six seven eight"

became, with Mario: "Ok, everybody check out Larry. Five six seven eight".

This is the first thing I've heard that's made me feel excited about Grease Live.

ghostlight2
#52Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/8/15 at 2:48am

Ick. He's in that? What role is he playing?

AEA AGMA SM
#53Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/8/15 at 2:51am

Vince Fontaine

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#54Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/8/15 at 2:52am

The title role. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#55Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/8/15 at 6:54am

"Even Dame Cecily Tyson? "

Sad but maybe the answer should be yes. Maybe when you get to a certain age and can't remember the amount of lines required for a live stage performance it is time to retire from the stage. Older actors can still do movies and TV where there is not as much dialogue to learn and you can do it over if necessary. As for roles that require a person to be older, making a  younger actor look older with makeup/wigs etc is not that hard to do.

Updated On: 11/8/15 at 06:54 AM

peapod41
#56Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/9/15 at 12:17am

Reading this makes me wonder if Bruce Willis also has trouble memorizing lines for a movie. Or is he just freaking out about acting In front of an audience for two hours?

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#57Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/9/15 at 12:29am

"I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star"

Alan Swann (Peter O'Toole)- My Favorite Year by Dennis Palumbo

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#58Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/9/15 at 1:17am

Acting for the stage and acting for a movie are two different things. Willis could easily learn a scene a day or two before shooting, and shoot the scene. He forgets a line, they stop, then restart. On stage, he's just out there for 90mins. There's no stopping and starting and if he flubs a line then he has to improv his way back to the script. I'm sure that's proving to be a challenge for him. And Pacino doing a 2 hr monologue? That's tough. 

Tom Sawyer2
#59Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/9/15 at 3:45am

Its laziness. I do not feel that the actors should wear an earpiece/ Having said that if anyone can justify it is Angela  she is almost 80. I doubt if anyone here would be able to carry a show let alone at 80 like her.

"

LarryD2
#60Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/9/15 at 8:25am

I'm guessing no one complaining about prompting in this thread ever goes to the opera. Opera singers are prompted constantly throughout a performance, in most cases from an on-stage prompter who sits in a box downstage. It's a tradition almost as old as the art form itself. Are Birgit Nilsson, Leontyne Price, or Franco Corelli any less legends because they were prompted?

Updated On: 11/9/15 at 08:25 AM

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#61Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/9/15 at 8:29am

peapod41 said: "Reading this makes me wonder if Bruce Willis also has trouble memorizing lines for a movie. Or is he just freaking out about acting In front of an audience for two hours?"

I'd say he's got some sort of problem going on. Ask Woody Allen.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#62Ear Pieces for lines
Posted: 11/9/15 at 8:43am

I saw Cicely Tyson in Trip to Bountiful and I thought she gave a beautiful, funny, and devastating performance. Did I notice she was wearing an ear piece? No. Do I care or feel cheated now that I know she was using an ear piece? Not in the slightest. Whether or not she remembered every one of her lines without any aid crutch didn't make any difference when she was so entirely tapped into the role emotionally. I absolutely don't diminish what she accomplished on that stage because her memory isn't what it once was.