pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Previews- Page 11

THE COLOR PURPLE Previews

Broadwaystar2
#250THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/3/15 at 8:27am

RippedMan said: "Of the three leads, I think she's the weakest, yes. I'm not changing my mind, I just was on a high after seeing the show when I wrote the initial review. 

Right after Celie tells Harpo that he needs to beat his wife, Brooks does this like diagonal march towards her. It was very basic Acting 101. She was emoting instead of just being. I was just surprised since she went to Julliard. She does the same thing on Orange is the New Black, but people lover her, so whatever. I thought by the end of the show she did a commendable job. Her Act 2 duet is a lot of fun. 

"

And like I said you obviously haven't been back recently to know there has been changing. And also how ALL of the actors are now more grounded in the roles. Compared to what you saw in the first few days of previews. 

sparklemotion Profile Photo
sparklemotion
#251THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/6/15 at 9:17am

First of all, Jennifer Hudson is a goddess. She can literally sing anything and it will be perfect and there will be tears. Ervio's Celie made my heart ache. The show: I was so invested the whole time-there was an intimacy and bare bones kind of feel to me that made me hang on every word and note. I feel like the people around me were doing the same. I loved it.

Copperfield2
#252THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/6/15 at 10:49am

I saw The Color Purple the Saturday after Thanksgiving and thought the singing was marvelous and moving. This was the least awkwardly directed production directed by John Doyle in a while and the pacing of the show was very good. I do agree about the book being weak but I didn't care because the whole cast was so committed. Many of the numbers are staged close to the edge of the stage and that enables the actors to reach out to the audience in a powerful way.

I got tired of the chairs as the main stage props but not to the extent that it hurt the show. I didn't see the original Broadway production but I'm glad I saw this one.

Updated On: 12/6/15 at 10:49 AM

Broadwaystar2
#253THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/6/15 at 5:42pm

Anyone attending opening night?

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#254THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/7/15 at 8:04am

How has the rush line been on Mondays?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#255THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/8/15 at 12:35am

Jennifer Hudson just performed "Push Da Button" on The Late Show and she was FABULOUS. 

Updated On: 12/8/15 at 12:35 AM

TerrenceIsTheMann
#256THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/8/15 at 1:47am

^agreed.

musicaltheatreman2
#257THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/8/15 at 2:24pm

How have the rush lines been and whats the best day to rush this show? 

Whats the best time to get there to stand in line and where are the seats usually located. Thank you

Updated On: 12/9/15 at 02:24 PM

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#258THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/8/15 at 3:39pm

Brantley lists The Color Purple as #9 on his Top 10 Theatre listing, so I guess we will see a good review from him come opening night. 

OperaGhost2
#259THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/9/15 at 4:52am

Will Jennifer get the Tony. Outstanding Performance. 

Broadwaystar2
#260THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/9/15 at 7:22am

OperaGhost2 said: "Will Jennifer get the Tony. Outstanding Performance. 

"

What does this even mean?

gimlet2
#261THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/9/15 at 7:26am

Broadwaystar2 said: "What does this even mean?"

The passion is back?

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#262THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/9/15 at 4:46pm

Just saw the show clips... It looks absolutely magnificent. Wish I could see this. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#263THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/9/15 at 4:49pm

OperaGhost2 said: "Will Jennifer get the Tony. Outstanding Performance."

*cough* ...Renée Elise Goldsberry tho... *cough*

Updated On: 12/9/15 at 04:49 PM

Broadwaystar2
#264THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/9/15 at 6:12pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "OperaGhost2 said: "Will Jennifer get the Tony. Outstanding Performance."

*cough* ...Renée Elise Goldsberry tho... *cough*

stranger things have happened!

"

musicaltheatreman2
#265THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/9/15 at 10:16pm

How have the rush lines been and whats the best day to rush this show? 

Whats the best time to get there to stand in line and where are the seats usually located. Thank you

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#266THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/9/15 at 11:53pm

Wow, the highlights video is amazing. I cannot wait to see the production later this month. 

rob136
#267THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 12/12/15 at 3:23pm

Regarding the issue with the ushers not taking care of disruptive behaviors, it appears the producers have addressed the issue thoroughly. At today's matinee, the people around me couldn't get through one text without being yelled at. The ushers noticed it before I did! I'm glad to see the producers took the issue seriously and stepped things up. I can't imagine the incident described earlier in the thread playing out in the same way now, based on what I've seen today.

BROADWAY: The Cripple of Inishmaan, This is Our Youth, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (x3), Cabaret (x2), The Real Thing, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Chicago, Les Miserables (x2) Disgraced, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century, Wolf Hall Part I, On the Town, Fun Home; TOURING: Jekyll and Hyde, The Book of Mormon; LOCAL: The Twilight Zone, Anne Boleyn, Death and the Maiden, The Lying Kind, Chorus Line, Stupid F**king Bird

QueenTwinnied
#268THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 8/25/17 at 1:42pm

This is a random thread to bump, but does anyone have an idea of when the Tour cast will be released? Tickets for the Tour are on sale in my city but I'm hesitant to buy a ticket without knowing the cast.

I saw the show in NYC last summer and I know it will be a great show regardless, but I would love to know who will be in it!

non-stop26 Profile Photo
non-stop26
#269THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 8/25/17 at 5:57pm

QueenTwinnied said: "This is a random thread to bump, but does anyone have an idea of when the Tour cast will be released? Tickets for the Tour are on sale in my city but I'm hesitant to buy a ticket without knowing the cast.

I saw the show in NYC last summer and I know it will be a great show regardless, but I would love to know who will be in it!

"

Nothing's been announced yet

Visceral_Fella
#270THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 8/25/17 at 8:17pm

Apparently Adrianna Hicks is Celie, Carla Stewart is Shug Avery, Carrie Compere is Sophia. I'm hearing Pheonix Best was Nettie, but left for DEH and Les Mis. That's all that I've heard.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#271THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 8/25/17 at 10:12pm

What I wouldn't give to see Cynthia Erivo one more time as Celie.  

Not to be confused with Dave19.