pixeltracker

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement - Page 5

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement

Dave19
#100Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 6:18pm

Actually, every character in a film or play should have a race by default. It is kind of important for the history of the character, his/her looks, characteristics and his/her family etc.

So if Hermione was supposed to be black that's fine, but  then I wonder why they cast a white girl in the films.

Turning a blind eye and asking the audience to do the same, without any explanation is like saying "black people can exist, as long as we don't mention them or anything about it", is that really respectful? No. Color blind casting and pretending race does not exist is rude.

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 06:18 PM

DigificWriter
#101Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 6:24pm

Dave19 said: "Actually, every character in a film or play should have a race by default. It is kind of important for the history of the character, his/her looks, characteristics and his/her family etc.

So if Hermione was supposed to be black that's fine, but  then I wonder why they cast a white girl in the films.

Completely ignoring skin color or race and turning a blind eye and asking the audience to do the same, without any explanation is like saying "black people can exist, as long as we don't mention them or anything about it", is that really respectful? No. Color blind casting and pretending race does not exist is rude.

"

Are you really being serious here?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#102Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 6:26pm

Anyone who is able to debate this with Dave 19 deserves some credit, as I can't make head nor tails out of what he says. His mind sounds like it's spinning out of control. For someone who says ad nauseum that he doesn't care about race, he can't stop talking about it.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Dave19
#103Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 6:40pm

You do realize we are talking about a character here, right? Not about egos of people who would like to see their own age/gender/color represented more.

Every scene, piece of backstory, characteristic, skincolor, look, sound, history of the character, family member needs explanation, that goes for every character in every film or play in history. And now, suddenly nothing can be mentioned? Because the actress is black? We need to act blind? Get out of here.

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 06:40 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#104Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 6:46pm

The only thing you can be at this point in my mind is a troll. You can't be serious about the drivel that leaks out of your mouth. 

btw, it's "egos" and not "ego's."

Dave19
#105Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 6:55pm

Have fun sticking your head in the sand.

Have fun being rude by pretending race does not exist. 

Have fun with your double agenda, because I have a feeling your "acting colorblind attitude" could change per subject.

Thanks for pointing out the grammar error. I changed it.

Edit: By the way, I think the producers and casting directors are way ahead of you, and that they fully embrace every piece of backstory, characteristic, skincolor, look, sound, history of the character, family members, etc. So I have no doubt we will get a well developed character that we don't have to view with color blind glasses.

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 06:55 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#106Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 7:19pm

I'm not a fan of the term "colorblind" when it comes to casting or to race in general.

I don't "turn a blind eye" to a person's color any more than I ignore gender, height, or hair color.

It just doesn't matter to me. I'm more concerned with other characteristics that aren't as superficial. If the character is supposed to be mean or funny or scary or charismatic or mysterious or shy or scatterbrained ... that's what I look for, and that's what matters to me. Not the color of their skin or the length of their thumb or the size of their elbow. Do they capture the essence of that character? The rest is unimportant. It's not invisible, and it shouldn't be "overlooked." It's just inconsequential.

If you can't get past a person's skin color to evaluate the rest, then you have a problem. Correction: you ARE the problem.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Dave19
#107Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 7:27pm

best12bars said: "If you can't get past a person's skin color to evaluate the rest, then you have a problem. Correction: you ARE the problem."

Well, a character is a character including the length of their thumb and color of their skin. And character essence of course. There is no need to get past anything, I just like to embrace everything.

That also means that if any of those subjects come to light in any scene or text or situation in the play, it should make sense. I like well developed characters.

But well said, I don't like the term "colorblind" either. We are not and we shouldn't have to be.

Also, when a person is happier when a black person gets a role than when a white person gets it, He/she is the problem too.

Updated On: 12/23/15 at 07:27 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#108Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 7:36pm

Dave said "Have fun sticking your head in the sand."

I don't  know what you mean by that.

"Have fun being rude by pretending race does not exist."

You're the only one who is pretending race does not exist . In this thread and the other one. the rest of us acknowledge race exists, you don't. So you must be who's rude.

"Have fun with your double agenda, because I have a feeling your "acting colorblind attitude" could change per subject."

I don't have an agenda, let alone a double one.

I wish I knew what you were talking about . I probably should ignore you, but I'm bored tonight.

Dave19
#109Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 7:40pm

You just don't get it Jane. Read back and you might.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#110Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 7:43pm

No, I don't get you. I've said that several times. And I don't care enough to read back, but thank you for actually typing my name, Dave. I don't remember you referring to me by name up to now.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#111Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 7:44pm

Jane, you know when you see an insane person on the subway and you sit at the other end, desperate not to make eye contact? That's Dave19.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#112Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 7:49pm

Yeah, Jay, that's the impression I get from Dave re: this topic.

Dave19
#113Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 7:53pm

Haha well, normally I never reply to such childish remarks, but just to let you know, I'm very grounded and professional, I work in showbusiness and 9 times out of 10 it's other people in the subway trying to make eye contact with me.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#114Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 7:59pm

Happy Holidays!

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$
Updated On: 12/23/15 at 07:59 PM

Dave19
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#116Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/23/15 at 9:20pm

They have a subway in your town in Europe?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#117Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/24/15 at 1:37am

Somehow, this group always starts hurling insults when talk turns to race. In my opinion, at least here in the United States, which has a shameful history regarding race, we need to discuss it, and continue discussing it until it stops being such a hot potato.

People (such as certain members of the U.S. Supreme Court) who pretend that everything is solved now that discrimination is illegal, or who yell about reverse racism are either bigots or naive. As recently as the 50's and 60's, the U.S. government mortgage guarantee agencies didn't approve loans in mixed-race neighborhoods, instead steering black people to less desirable neighborhoods. Many people in the post-war generation accumulated a great deal of wealth from appreciation of their houses. Those who did were largely white because of the government's redlining practices. Do we really think that a generation later, all is equal?

People of color still appear to have difficulty finding jobs in musical theatre. I'm amazed by the number of musical productions that still have largely white choruses, with one or two token black faces. Some roles in a production must be played by people who appear to be white for purposes of realism (such as the second twin in "Side Show," once a white performer is cast as one twin, or a show that differs from "Hamilton" in that it tries to make characters look similar to actual historical figures). In others, it just doesn't matter in terms of ethnicity who plays the role. Yet in many such cases, white performers have been the default. Until a production with characters who can be any ethnicity gives people of color equal shots at those roles, there HAS to be extra effort to ensure minority performers get a fair chance. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, "Side Show" is based on a particular set of conjoined twins who were African-American. If so, changing the story to make them white is a missed opportunity to open up roles for people of color.

Yet, no matter how much people protest that this new HP story is NOT a movie sequel, most people will see it as such. That's why I favor the middle ground between casting older actors who look just like Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson and just putting the new crew out there without some sort of notice that this is not a sequel to the Warner Brothers movies. (Even the Yeston & Kopit "Phantom" often provides notice in advertising or programs that this is NOT you-know-who's show.) A statement that this is an independent work, unrelated to the movies, takes away casting expectations without being disrespectful to the new performers.

Audrey

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

WickedGinger Profile Photo
WickedGinger
#118Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/24/15 at 5:50am

Some people are ecstatic about the casting and some people are not. 

The last point I would like to make is I am not disappointed because the actress that will play Hermione is black, I am disappointed because she doesn't look like how I imagined. Just like the actor who will be playing Ron doesn't look like how I imagined. But the actor playing Harry matches my expectation. 

At this stage of a production all we can comment on is how the actor looks and how that does or does not match our expectation of the character.

Physicality is a huge part of theatre. A tall person brings something different to a short person. A female brings something different to a male. A person of colour brings something different. People can use these practicalities to their advantage to bring something to their character. Its called acting. 

I am so excited about this play! I think it will be great. As I have said countless times before the casting isn't how I imagined it would. But I will get over. So I think it's time for us all to get over this thread and move on!

Happy Christmas Eve everyone!

Dave19
#119Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/24/15 at 6:40am

Kad said: "They have a subway in your town in Europe?"

I'm well travelled.

Dave19
#120Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/24/15 at 6:46am

AHLiebross said: " I'm amazed by the number of musical productions that still have largely white choruses, with one or two token black faces."

I'm amazed by comments like this.

12% of the USA population is black. That is about 2 out of every 20 persons.

2 black people in a chorus of 20 persons is therefore fully representative. 

Now, the amount of black people in a chorus can be higher or lower at any time, and that does not matter either. But to be "amazed" is quite strange. Are you saying that the number of black people in anything MUST be higher than the actual population? Why is that?

Updated On: 12/24/15 at 06:46 AM

Dave19
#121Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/24/15 at 6:48am

WickedGinger said: "Some people are ecstatic about the casting and some people are not. "

Being ecstatic about your favorite color getting a role is the epitome of racism.

Updated On: 12/24/15 at 06:48 AM

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#122Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/24/15 at 7:07am

And who exactly is excited about that?! Most of the commentators on here said they were ecstatic that Noma was cast as Hermione because they have seen her work and know she is a great actress, The Majority of the posters were ecstatic that they went with who was the best actress and not who may have fit the part physically (since it doesn't matter what any of these characters races are). Absolutely no one was making a big deal about this until YOU and Wickedginger started posting. Just stop.

Updated On: 12/24/15 at 07:07 AM

WickedGinger Profile Photo
WickedGinger
#123Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/24/15 at 7:17am

Hamilton22 said: "And who exactly is excited about that?! Most of the commentators on here said they were ecstatic that Noma was cast as hermione because they have seen her work and know she is a great actress, The Majority of the posters were ecstatic that they went with who was the best actress and not who may have fit the part physically (since it doesn't matter what any of these characters races are).  Only YOU and Wickedginger are the ones talking about her race. And only YOU are the one continuing to act like a bufoon about it. Just stop.

Why bring me into this when I have already made a final statement on the matter!

If another actress had been cast in the part and I did not think she suited it physically I would have commented regardless, since it is the only thing we can comment on as we have not seen the actress play this particular.

You are making this an argument about race. Please no longer include me your statements. 

Updated On: 12/24/15 at 07:17 AM

Dave19
#124Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Casting Announcement
Posted: 12/24/15 at 7:22am

FindingNamo said: "YAY for the black Hermione!!!!"

Comments like this.