pixeltracker

Academy takes historic action to increase diversity- Page 22

Academy takes historic action to increase diversity

Dave19
#525Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 2/28/16 at 6:05am

Steve C. said: "I never thought I would do anything to this thread other than laugh. but any number of shows come to mind and they are not considered racist. Just like Hamilton has an African American and Latino cast, it's because it was written that way. Grease is supposed to be in the 50's, therefore an almost totally white cast.

"

Exactly. It's just a pity that some people have double agenda's.

For example, they don't consider Hamilton racist, but they do consider Grease almost totally white racist.

So when you give into that, and start casting deliberately on race (for example demanding a white Hamilton, or a white Porgy or Bess or demanding a black Marty or Doody), you are actually guilty of racist casting.

But aside from that racist attitude, the biggest problem of this double agenda is that ik keeps racism intact.

Updated On: 2/28/16 at 06:05 AM

Dave19
#526Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 2/28/16 at 6:18am

FindingNamo said: "Steve, there's a huge gigantic difference between "racist casting" and lack of diversity. "

Where is the diversity in Porgy and Bess and all those other countless all black shows?

FindingNamo
#527Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 2/28/16 at 12:37pm

One of my agenda's is to eradicate erroneous apostrophe's once and for all.

ETA  "Countless all black shows."   They are absolutely countable.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#528Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 2/28/16 at 1:24pm

Showface said: "I'm not sure if this has been posted, but this is a MUST READ, and it should be an eye-opener for some people: 

What It's Really Like Working in Hollywood (*If you're not a straight white man.)

Really interesting article. I remembered a story told to be by Canadian actor Bruce Gray.  He'd been cast w/out being seen for a role in a film in the U.S. and like any actor - duh- he took it. But he was perturbed because the script referred to his character as "latino". When he met the director he looked at Bruce and said "Hey your not Mexican looking- and Bruce  smiled and said" No I'm not."   So why had he been cast?

Yah see , Bruce was BORN in Puerto Rico so natch he MUST be of Latin extraction right? THAT'S all it takes folks- a presumption of what you are from where you come from.

Oh and he did finish the film w/out "playing Latin". They recast him into a "white" role.

"

Updated On: 2/28/16 at 01:24 PM

FindingNamo
#529Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 2/28/16 at 1:55pm

At this post, the role usually played by Dave19 will be played by FindingNamo:

See that's how it should be.  There should not be casting for roles with race as a criteria.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#530Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 3/1/16 at 10:42am

I don't wish to create more of a "kerfuffle" however. I hope explaining myself a little more I can express my intention. 

All I meant to express was if and when the Academy votes on "the so-called best performances" the members probably don't vote all white only. There have been many many African American actors and performances that have honored black actors. This was done as far back as Hattie McDaniels and many others since then. Whoopi won because she was great and unforgettable, same thing about Jennifer Holiday, and other men and women actors.

What I'm saying is I don't think whoever votes doesn't usually do it based on race only.However, awards like the BET awards, or Essence for best black actor or any others do only accept black actors as the basis for their nominations.No white people sceram because that is mentioned as race is the requirement. And that is absolutely fine. They can give out awards for 'best black whatever" if that is their criteria. However, when it happens at the Oscars, and I'm not saying it's fair" people start to admonish them as racist. That doesn't go over so well. But if and when the Oscar nominations happen to be white, there are screams of racism and boycotts.

I hope that explains my point of view a little better. Everyone in here says, I'm not a racist and that is okay, but most laws read as "being treated as equal" not "equal but separate and special". Just ask any LTGB person if they are treated "equally but separate" by a lot of backward thinking. Just IMO, and hope that this helps to explain my POV. and you don't have to mention reparations or separate schools. 

I'm not trying to bicker and call names, just wanted to try and explain.

Academy takes steps to encourage positive change        

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

FindingNamo
#531Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 3/1/16 at 11:07am

"Everyone in here says, I'm not a racist and that is okay..."

Wait.  What?  What do you mean by this?  Are you saying that everyone in this thread says they're not racist?

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#532Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 3/1/16 at 11:12am

It's also worth noting that there was a 50-year gap between Hattie McDaniel's win and Whoopi Goldberg's.

Dave19
#533Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 3/1/16 at 2:36pm

FindingNamo said: "

See that's how it should be.  There should not be casting for roles with race as a criteria.

"

Then why are you so against a cast that happens to be all white, like you said last week?

Dave19
#534Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 3/1/16 at 2:41pm

Steve C. said: "They can give out awards for 'best black whatever" if that is their criteria. However, when it happens at the Oscars, and I'm not saying it's fair" people start to admonish them as racist. That doesn't go over so well. But if and when the Oscar nominations happen to be white, there are screams of racism and boycotts."

Exactly. That is their criteria. And that race criteria is what this problem is about.

FindingNamo
#535Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 3/1/16 at 4:36pm

Oh Dave. I never accused you of being smart enough to know when I'm using your words to make fun of you. 

Wilmingtom
#536Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 3/2/16 at 12:25am

Thanks Dave and Namo for highjacking this thread for your petty squabble. Take it to PM.

BeadleDeedle Profile Photo
BeadleDeedle
#537Academy takes steps to encourage positive change
Posted: 3/2/16 at 3:44am

Did you even read this thread? Its been nothing but "squabbling" between Dave's dumb racist bull**** and Namo and pretty much every other poster here trying to shut it down for the last 20 pages.