#50Cats allegedly headed for big screen
Posted: 2/8/16 at 8:18pm

Yeah!  What was it?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#51Cats allegedly headed for big screen
Posted: 2/8/16 at 8:28pm

The only way I'll see a film of CATS is if it is live action, using real cats, and composed entirely of YouTube videos cleverly stitched together. How could T.S. Eliot possibly object?

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#52Cats allegedly headed for big screen
Posted: 2/8/16 at 8:34pm

Split the difference and do stop motion. Coraline adapted brilliantly and even had a musicale

number in it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOp1wRImIxY  

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#53Cats allegedly headed for big screen
Posted: 2/9/16 at 12:58pm

Surprised this hasn't been brought up yet: concept art for an attempt at an animated film adaptation from the early 90s by Amblimation, Spielberg's animation studio that shut down in 1997. 

http://io9.gizmodo.com/stunning-concept-art-for-spielbergs-animated-cats-movie-1599739506

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#54Cats allegedly headed for big screen
Posted: 2/9/16 at 1:21pm

I actually think a film version could work very well. The whole show is spectacle. A film can go so much further with special effects and locations and just commit to presenting these songs as wild as the original production. It could even have an anthology feel to it, presenting the different songs as self contained short films about the cats singing them, tying them to the junkyard as a framing device. 

Now, I don't think Tom Hooper is the director to go with, but I don't particularly care for any of his work that I've seen (The King's Speech, Les Miserables, The Danish Girl). Who knows? Directors surprise you sometimes. 

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#55Cats allegedly headed for big screen
Posted: 2/9/16 at 2:19pm

What is it about this particular musical that brings out the most melodramatically over the top hostile reactions in some of you on this board?

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Dave19
#56Cats allegedly headed for big screen
Posted: 2/9/16 at 2:25pm

trentsketch said: "A film can go so much further with special effects and locations and just commit to presenting these songs as wild as the original production."

I agree, but as long as directors don't understand the non-literal purpose of the material, it is not going to work.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#57Cats allegedly headed for big screen
Posted: 2/9/16 at 5:44pm

We should ask Sidney Poitier how to make a movie of Cats.

EDIT: Aw, someone beat me to the joke.

Updated On: 2/9/16 at 05:44 PM

BobbyBubbi  Profile Photo
BobbyBubbi
#58Cats allegedly headed for big screen
Posted: 2/9/16 at 6:42pm

Kad, thanks for posting. I remember when that was brought up in the 'off topic section.' Some stunning renderings. 

Am I crazy in thinking Guillermo del Toro could direct this? 

Can Cate Blanchett sing? 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#59Cats allegedly headed for big screen
Posted: 2/9/16 at 7:55pm

You'd certainly need someone visionary like Del Toro. 

Certainly not Tom Hooper, who sorely lacks imagination and real vision as a director.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

hork Profile Photo
hork
#60Cats allegedly headed for big screen
Posted: 2/9/16 at 8:16pm

David Lynch's Cats. I'd be all over that.

Dave19
#61Cats allegedly headed for big screen
Posted: 2/10/16 at 1:41pm

Kad said: "You'd certainly need someone visionary like Del Toro. 

Certainly not Tom Hooper, who sorely lacks imagination and real vision as a director.

"

Well said Kad.