Phyllis Rogers Stone
#25How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 2:17pm

I would heckle them.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#26How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 2:19pm

I've often wondered, what if she (or he) wished to decline? It would be really embarrassing to do so in front of a full house.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 2:20pm

I just hope she says yes and doesn't throw away her shot. 

Broadway_Boy
#28How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 2:25pm

Namo, I personally would never want to propose in front of anybody but I can see why it would be appealing to someone else.  Having witnessed it personally, I don't understand why anyone would feel personally offended by it happening and no one here has really stated any good reason other than bad analogies and unexplained insults.  If it happened often it would be super annoying for a regular theater goer, but the chances of you being in an audience when this happens are super slim.

dramamama, I don't think anyone would have the ability to stop you from exiting if you so wished.  My point is that the proposal and the Broadway cares speech are both completely unrelated to the actual theatre piece the audience just witnessed, so why do you feel one is ok and one is not?

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#29How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 2:32pm

Broadway Boy, yes, Cinderella is actually a musical about a girl who gets married in the final scene.  When the box office fell below 60% management arranged  ..  or agreed to ...  or made up a wedding on the stage for free publicity and many agencies picked the story up.  As you have noted, the entire cast participated in this publicity stunt which fit in so nicely with the plot.

This in no way condones an actual assassination taking place after Hamilton when their numbers fall below 60%

Your earlier post oddly compared having to sit thru a strangers marriage proposal after paying for Hamilton to gay marriage.  This analogy does not make sense since no one is forced to attend to gay marriage however theater audiences are pretty much stuck politely sitting there when someone comes onstage to talk about getting married or Little Finster's Birthday after a show.

Your post also mentions a wedding proposal at a book signing.....my heart currently bleeds for that bride.

In response to taking away thunder at the 675th performance of Hamilton I will remind you that for a few in the audience it will be only their second or third time viewing The Hamilton and the production still will have some thunder on its own.  They may not need to witness a strangers proposal to help prop up the plot.

Your analogy about Broadway Cares is close since few in the audience want to have people come onstage to say, "Before you leave, let's talk about AIDS" after a musical, museum visit or even buying a tank of gas, but  the work Broadway Cares does helps thousands and a marriage proposal helps only two people. 

Wait, given the 50% divorce rate... one person.

Updated On: 2/8/16 at 02:32 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#30How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 2:34pm

Because one is related to BROADWAY and the other is nothing but "me, me, me!" trying to be important.

I don't get the need to have every moment of one's life documented by strangers.  Period.   It's self centered and obnoxious.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#31How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 2:35pm

I showed my BF the video of the other proposal and he said he would never ruin my backstage moment with that crap. I love him! 

Broadway_Boy
#32How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 2:55pm

"Broadway Boy, yes, Cinderella is actually a musical about a girl who gets married in the final scene.  When the box office fell below 60% management arranged  ..  or agreed to ...  or made up a wedding on the stage for free publicity and many agencies picked the story up.  As you have noted, the entire cast participated in this publicity stunt which fit in so nicely with the plot.

This in no way condones an actual assassination should take place after Hamilton when their numbers fall below 60%"

Yes, because somehow I've implied that a murder after curtain call is the same thing as a proposal.

"Your earlier post oddly compared having to sit thru a strangers marriage proposal after paying for Hamilton to gay marriage.  This analogy does not make sense since no one is forced to attend to gay marriage however theater audiences are pretty much stuck politely sitting there when someone comes onstage to talk about getting married or Little Finster's Birthday after a show."

The analogy was if you don't want a gay marriage, don't get one.  If you don't want a public proposal, don't have one.  In both instances, why do you feel that either one would affect your life in any way?  Once the curtain call is over, no one is going to judge you for having to run out, whether it is for BCEFA or a propsal or to say goodbye to a cast member.  The show had an ending time and people understand that sometimes in NYC other people have places to be.  

"In response to taking away thunder at the 675th performance of Hamilton I will remind you that for a few in the audience it will be only their second or third time viewing The Hamilton and the production still will have some thunder on its own.  They may not need to witness a strangers proposal to help prop up the plot."

At the 675th performance of Hamilton, 80-90% of the audience will be seeing it for their first time and it will still be selling at !00% capacity months in advance.  I never implied they needed a proposal to prop up anything.  I just don't understand why if it did happen at any show at all, how someone would feel entitled to be upset or angry about it.  

"Your analogy about Broadway Cares is close since few in the audience want to have people come onstage to say, "Before you leave, let's talk about AIDS" after a musical, museum visit or even buying a tank of gas, but  the work Broadway Cares does helps thousands and a marriage proposal helps only two people. 

Wait, given the 50% divorce rate... one person."

Both instances involve asking the audience to stay a moment longer and both instances take you out of the show. How is it that one personally affects you more than the other?  I agree with what you're saying here, but what I am not understanding is how one entitles the audience member to be upset and the other doesn't.  

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

dramamama611
#33How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 2:57pm

Whoever said people are or aren't entitled to be upset?     Many of us are saying we don't like THIS.  Period.  There are folks that do become bothered with the BC pitch. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Broadway_Boy
#34How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:08pm

"Because one is related to BROADWAY and the other is nothing but "me, me, me!" trying to be important.

I don't get the need to have every moment of one's life documented by strangers.  Period.   It's self centered and obnoxious."

This is your opinion, it is not a fact.  A proposal could be just as related to Broadway as collecting money for Aids patients.  

"Whoever said people are or aren't entitled to be upset?     Many of us are saying we don't like THIS.  Period.  There are folks that do become bothered with the BC pitch. "

Everyone is entitled to be upset about whatever they want.  I'm well aware that a lot of people don't like it.  But if you just saw Hamilton and there was a proposal after the curtain call and you were walking out thinking nothing but how stupid and obnoxious and self centered those people were, then it would be my opinion that you're mentally ill.

Updated On: 2/8/16 at 03:08 PM

Brian07663NJ
#35How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:10pm

dramamama611 said: "Whoever said people are or aren't entitled to be upset?     Many of us are saying we don't like THIS.  Period.  There are folks that do become bothered with the BC pitch."

OMG YES - every time the BC pitch goes out to collect money - every time - I hear sighs around me and once in a while "I paid enough to see this show" People want to go out to be entertained not be held hostage by other people's lives. How about the guy sticks an "understudy" slip into her Playbill and wait for her to merely be disappointed by who is possibly out of the show but the slip actually has their names and "Will you marry me" on it? That would be at the theater and not be intrusive to the entire theater!

dramamama611
#36How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:12pm

You asked ME a question.  I answered your question with what I thought.  OF COURSE IT'S MY OPINION.

How does that equate mental illness?  In any way.   Look, you don't have to agree, but why do you feel the need to prove something to those of those that do no agree with this practice?  Can't we just have different opinions?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#37How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:13pm

LOL. This is the internet. You know good and well that if you disagree with someone, that means you have either a mental illness or you need anger management. 

dramamama611
#38How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:18pm

I am ashamed for forgetting that, JC.  I will turn in my Internet Explorer's card immediately. wink

jwsel
#39How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:19pm

Brian07663NJ said: "dramamama611 said: "Whoever said people are or aren't entitled to be upset?     Many of us are saying we don't like THIS.  Period.  There are folks that do become bothered with the BC pitch."

OMG YES - every time the BC pitch goes out to collect money - every time - I hear sighs around me and once in a while "I paid enough to see this show" People want to go out to be entertained not be held hostage by other people's lives. How about the guy sticks an "understudy" slip into her Playbill and wait for her to merely be disappointed by who is possibly out of the show but the slip actually has their names and "Will you marry me" on it? That would be at the theater and not be intrusive to the entire theater!

"

I love the idea, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong with those types of proposals.  A friend of mine proposed at a professional baseball game.  He doctored a box of Cracker Jacks, so the toy was a diamond ring and arranged with the vendor to "buy" the box during the game.  Everything was going as planned until his girlfriend got the toy in its wrapper and asked the little boy sitting next to her if he wanted it.

Could you imagine if the wrong person got that Playbill?

Broadway_Boy
#40How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:22pm

Yes, we can have different opinions. I'm not trying to change your mind about the topic.  I would like to understand how one finds it totally acceptable for one thing to distract an audience after the show with, but another thing to be an obnoxious nuisance.  I can see why one would be annoyed by both, or not annoyed with either, as I am.  But being ok with one and not the other, I find hypocritical, which I guess you're entitled to be too.  

Broadway_Boy
#41How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:26pm

"LOL. This is the internet. You know good and well that if you disagree with someone, that means you have either a mental illness or you need anger management. "

My point was that if you just sat through the brilliance that is Hamilton and witnessing a little proposal completely ruined that for you, you may want to try meds. 

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#42How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:29pm

You can do this at any game at Yankee Stadium

dramamama611
#43How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:30pm

Oy.

Margo319
#44How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:32pm

Why mention that you've seen it seven times?  Just to be obnoxious.  Those proposals are embarrassing and or awkward for everyone and annoying to the cast, so I would say.....don't?

FindingNamo
#45How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:33pm

Why shouldn't an entire audience applaud me if I pick up a new anonymous FB in the gentleman's lounge at intermission?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Margo319
#46How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:39pm

THAT is worth applauding though......

rjm516
#47How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:43pm

Please don't do it in a way that makes the audience watch. It's not fair to take over this night that most people have been waiting so long for, this unbelievably special experience to each theatregoer, and make it about you instead.

Also, public proposals are lame and if you feel you need strangers to cheer for you instead of just enjoying your love with your significant other by yourselves or with people who actually give a crap then maybe rethink your life.

Shrek3
#48How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 3:57pm

"I'd love to propose to someone at the next Presidential inauguration.

Hillary supported DOMA so don't expect her to let you do it.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#49How to propose at the Hamilton
Posted: 2/8/16 at 4:14pm

There are easier ways to get backstage.