pixeltracker

The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording) - Page 2

The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#25The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/12/16 at 3:31pm

Does anyone know if this is going to be released on iTunes or Apple Music on the 19th?!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#26The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/12/16 at 5:31pm

I would assume it will at least be on iTunes. Is anyone trying the theatre tonight?

cuz-i-can
#27The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/12/16 at 6:08pm

I went to amazon and listened to sample audios of the soundtrack, and they all sound so heavenly

PerfidiousRaoul
#28The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 12:58am

I also listened to the Amazon samples, and I'm just wondering is that going to be the audio quality of the cast recording? Thanks so much, can't wait to hear peoples thoughts!

EDIT: removed the link cause y'all get offended easily

Updated On: 2/13/16 at 12:58 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 1:09am

Yeah! Can someone PLEASE upload it there so a$$holes like that can steal it?? PLEASE?!?!?!

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#30The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 1:19am

To be honest, I would like to listen to it before I buy it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#31The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 1:21am

Uh yeah, please no free upload links in this thread. Stream it on legal services next week. 

Listen to the Amazon samples if you cannot wait until it officially streams.

CATSNYrevival
#32The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 1:22am

This one sounds completely unremarkable. I'm usually a fan of revival cast recordings and I'm sure the production is great but the recording sounds so lifeless compared to the original cast album.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#33The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 1:25am

Maybe you aren't a fan of the smaller orchestrations? They sound great in the theater. This is the sound the composers originally wanted, not the grand Tunick orchestrations. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#34The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 1:25am

LOL. Yeah, if someone could give me a copy that I could download before I buy it, that would be great. Because I'm totally going to buy it once I already have a copy. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#35The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 1:28am

Jordan Catalano said: "LOL. Yeah, if someone could give me a copy that I could download before I buy it, that would be great. Because I'm totally going to buy it once I already have a copy. 

yep. I hope the mods delete that ridiculous Reddit link. With affordable streaming services available, there's no need to illegally download cast albums, which harms this small industry. And of course it doesn't hurt to buy the actual album!

Updated On: 2/13/16 at 01:28 AM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#36The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 1:29am

I would actually buy it because I would like to add it to my physical collection.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#37The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 11:26am

My CD just arrived!!

maxkko Profile Photo
maxkko
#38The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 11:51am

Could you post some pictures of it? Can't wait to (hopefully) see this in July!

CATSNYrevival
#39The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 12:40pm

The omission of the act one finale still puzzles me and I don't understand why they felt the need to include the "Reunion" track as just an instrumental track. The reduced orchestrations don't really bother me but the cast sounds as if they were instructed to just sing pretty and not show any emotion in their voices. This is a weird one for me. It's a rare instance where I think I still prefer the original cast album over the new one.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#40The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 12:46pm

My CD arrived yesterday and its a vast improvement over the first production. This one is compulsively listenable where the other one felt bloated and I rarely listened to it. The voices are glorious and the stripped down approach is very intimate. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#41The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 3:17pm

I am in complete agreement with Bettyboy. I have an appreciation for the OBCR now, but it definitely has a bloated quality to it. 

Cats, I am also so disappointed by the omission of the Act 1 Finale, especially because it's one of Erivo's best moments. If you haven't seen this production yet, I think you are picking up on the detached vibe that Erivo has for act one. It's not a lack of emotion, but she was very clearly directed to act detached from the other characters and story until she finds love with Shug and especially finding the letters from Nettie. In Act two she finds her confidence and voice, and becomes a self-assured woman who has no issue standing up to Mister. She creates such a beautiful and powerful journey. Also, her interpretation of the music and lyrics is very different from LaChanze's, definitely more quiet and introspective. 

Updated On: 2/13/16 at 03:17 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#42The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 3:45pm

It's nice to hear that they recorded some music and dialogue not heard on the OBCR, but I'm also surprised that they cut Celie's "I Curse You Mister" in addition to the cut act 1 finale. 

CATSNYrevival
#43The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/13/16 at 3:57pm

I'll never understand what goes through their heads in the recording studio when they decide that the act one finale isn't all that important for the listener at home. Even when it's a scene and not an actual song it's an important part of the structure and affords the person listening a better understanding of that structure. The upcoming American Psycho London cast album has done the exact same thing and there are other examples as well and even shows that will leave out the act two finale which is even more frustrating.

PerfidiousRaoul
#44The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/14/16 at 12:01am

After first listen-through, I gotta say I'm not a fan. The cast sounded absolutely incredible live when I saw it, I just don't get why this doesn't sound as good. There are parts I love, Danielle in particular sounds amazing, but it really lacks emotion, and in my opinion, the instrumentation is far too quiet- especially in I'm Here.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#45The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/14/16 at 12:37am

You can discuss your illegal download elsewhere. 

Updated On: 2/14/16 at 12:37 AM

PerfidiousRaoul
#46The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/14/16 at 12:44am

There is literally no way to buy the album in Australia, as soon as it's made available I will purchase it. Why don't you quit being a self-entitled arse and stick to the discussion? 

helvizz Profile Photo
helvizz
#47The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/14/16 at 1:55am

I love the orchestrations, the singing is great but I too think it lacks a little heart, the actors prioritized singing well rather than showing emotions.

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#48The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/14/16 at 10:13am

Listening now and it is absolutely gorgeous.

cuz-i-can
#49The Color Purple (New Broadway Cast Recording)
Posted: 2/15/16 at 12:56am

It's killing me that I have to wait until the 19th to listen to the soundtrack, and I can only hope its available o itunes or digitally, Im jealous of everyone on here who has already heard it