pixeltracker

Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?

Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?

roxannex
#1Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 4:06pm

Hello!

I'm heading to NYC on Easter weekend with my 70 something mom and 10 year old son for a theater/food weekend..plus some viewing of Easter bonnets. We're Jewish, so don't care much about the holiday. :)

We have tickets on Friday for Curious Incident and tickets on Saturday for Matilida. I was looking for something a little different than a big Broadway production for Sunday, and I'm having a hard time deciding. I almost picked something like Accomplice because it was fun and interactive, but there was no show on Sunday. I also considered Fuerza Bruta (saw the first one some 20 years ago), but I think that will be too much standing and noise for my mom and maybe for my son too.

I was looking at the Bedlam production of Sense and Sensibility. Plus is that it's in the west village so I can show my son my old college stomping groups. I've seen it compared a little Clueless in its sense of humor. For those who've seen it, would be it for good for older kids? Is it funny? 

If not that, any suggestions? We've done Blue Man and Stomp before. I'd like to see Then She Fell, but that's only 21 and over. 

Thanks for any suggestions!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 4:15pm

I'd agree with you about your mum and Fuerza.  My son loved it, but was a little older when he first saw it....maybe at 12?  When he was shorter and younger, I didn't think he'd like it -- but I certainly have seen younger kids there.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

neonlightsxo
#3Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 4:18pm

I haven't seen S&S, but I think Old Hats would be a great pick.

mpkie
#4Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 4:55pm

I would definitely recommend Daddy Long Legs for sure; it's sweet and funny and a total gem of a show.

If you're looking for something different, try The Woodsman. It is a little dark but just a beautiful production.

And if you're looking for something fun/interactive "for the whole family", maybe look into That Physics Show? (Disclaimer: I haven't seen it)

Hard to say... depends on what you think your family might like!

roxannex
#5Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 5:15pm

Thanks! I did consider all of those! :) The Woodsman looked cool, but I saw that there were few words and it was more performance art. My mom tends to like over the top spectacles, so I wasn't sure how that would go over. I've read about Daddy Longlegs..I'll have to look at it again.

I have never heard of Old Hats. I'll check that out right now.

roxannex
#6Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 5:19pm

That looks adorable!

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#7Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 5:30pm

Sense and Sensibility is amazing.

"In memory, everything happens to music"

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#8Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 5:51pm

I'll add to the recommendations for Daddy Long Legs - it is a sweet and charming show with lovely melodies. 

I also saw That Physics Show off-off-Broadway last fall and found it very enjoyable/entertaining.  I think they also have non-traditional performance times (11am) as options on weekends, so it could be an 'and' and not just an 'or' situation with that one.

Both are great choices.

roolin
#9Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 5:54pm

I second this; I would strongly recommend Sense & Sensibility. My daughter & I loved it and it really held its own in the middle of a week that also included She Loves Me, The Robber Bridegroom and incredibly, Hamilton, via the cancellation line (all great), Yes, much of it is very funny indeed. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

roxannex
#10Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 6:14pm

Thank you! Old Hats looks really cute, but I'm looking for an evening show.

For those who have seen Sense and Sensibility, the website says seating in the third row has a back and cushioned seats. Does that mean the other rows do not? 

afterthesun
#11Help me pick a third show-Sense and Sensibility?
Posted: 3/18/16 at 7:25pm

I saw Sense and Sensibility in early February and really enjoyed it. It was engaging and funny (at times, laugh out loud funny), and I would definitely recommend it. I think I only saw one teenager there, maybe two, but that's not to say your son wouldn't enjoy it.

As for the seats, I can't recall whether or not they were all cushioned (I don't think ours were, actually, in the second row), but I'm pretty sure they all had backs. Perhaps Bedlam lists a number on its website you could call?

Videos