pixeltracker

Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit- Page 3

Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit

Dollypop
#50Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:23pm

The show is doing such good business that the Roundabout Theatre Company is thinking of extending it perhaps just for a few weeks or throughout the summer.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BroadwayFanatic454 Profile Photo
BroadwayFanatic454
#51Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:25pm

Is there any chance of extension? I noticed it's only set through June 12th? 

10086sunset
#52Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 4:48pm

I'm surprised it hasn't already been extended.

Dollypop
#53Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 5:06pm

Extending a show isn't as easy as you may think. Actors have other commitments coming up both professional and personal. The staff may also have similar commitments. All of these things are being worked out at the present time.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 4/9/16 at 05:06 PM

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#54Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 5:07pm

I also hate the title honestly. "Dear Friend" maybe could have been a better one if they wanted one from a song.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#55Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 5:15pm

Why couldn't they have just called it "The Shop Around the Corner" or "In The Good Ol' Summertime" or even "You've Got Mail"!

Oh....wait...

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#56Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 10:26pm

After Eight said: " "Because my use of the conditional "might" inherently allowed that others "might not"."

And equally implied that those others would be "wrong," as your subsequent statements unfortunately bore out.

I contend that those statements are flat-out wrong, no quotation marks necessary.

"

Actually, no. Conditional tense does not imply that alternatives are wrong, merely that they exist. Check your English composition book.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#57Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 10:28pm

Dollypop said: "Gaveston dares to criticize "Hello,Dolly!" ???

May he suffer with constipation for the next week!

"

Where were you the day before when I was defending "Sunday Clothes" in another thread?

I just don't think DOLLY has Herman's best ballads. MACK AND MABEL does.

KODALY
#58Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 10:37pm

Mr. Nowack said: "I also hate the title honestly. "Dear Friend" maybe could have been a better one if they wanted one from a song.

Somehow it's ironic that Mr. Nowack "hate(s) the title" - it being also the song through which his character  expresses his realization and joy in Amalia's love for him.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#59Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 10:43pm

So I think PalJoey pretty much rendered the existence of this thread useless as it should be. The show's a hit. To compare a Roundabout musical revival of a 1960s small show at Studio 54 to HAMILTON is a pretty ridiculous comparison.

Though "Here's a tip for you, for producing theater and for life: NEVER expect 100%" is one of my favorite posts on my 10 years in the board, especially in the context of such a baseless thread. 

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#60Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 10:52pm

Ironic indeed Mr. Kodaly, ironic indeed. A great song yes but a great title no.

Think if they called it "Ice Cream" ...

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

CarlosAlberto
#61Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:00pm

I've just learned Rita Moreno did this in London. I must get that cast album.

KODALY
#62Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/5/16 at 11:02pm

Mr. Nowack said: "Ironic indeed Mr. Kodaly, ironic indeed. A great song yes but a great title no.

Think if they called it "Ice Cream" ...

or "Come with me Ilona"

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#63Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/6/16 at 12:10am

The truth is, "She Loves Me" is really the only song title that makes a somewhat appropriate name for the whole show. (I don't think calling it "Where's My Shoe? would have audiences exactly storming the box office.) And I guess it's better than some clumsy formulation like "The Shop Around the Corner: The Musical." Can anybody think of a completely new title that might work?

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#64Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/6/16 at 8:02am

Since some refer to it as "the perfect musical"  why not use that as the title.  Who wouldn't want to see "The Perfect Musical"?  

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#65Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/6/16 at 8:05am

^ It worked for Perfect Crime! 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#66Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/6/16 at 8:19am

She Loves Me is a very good musical, but for some strange reason, this and the last Roundabout production were missing something that would make it a magical experience... Well, I think I finally figured it out - Bartlett Sher. He would have turned this into the glorious musical it is meant to be.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#67Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/6/16 at 10:22am

The show has never been a "monster hit." But it's an enduring classic, which is far better. Tobacco Road was a monster hit and who today cares about Tobacco Road? There are different measures of success than how long a production runs.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

CarlosAlberto
#68Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/8/16 at 12:57pm

I just came across this autographed Playbill title page from a concert version of "She Loves Me" that was performed at Town Hall in New York City circa 1977. Look at that cast! 

Wayman_Wong
#69Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/9/16 at 1:45am

Hooray! I just saw a BroadwayWorld story about Laura Benanti that says ''She Loves Me'' is now playing through July 10.

Updated On: 4/9/16 at 01:45 AM

Jiam
#70Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/9/16 at 6:45am

Because its not avenue q

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#71Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/9/16 at 2:27pm

Wayman_Wong said: "Hooray! I just saw a BroadwayWorld story about Laura Benanti that says ''She Loves Me'' is now playing through July 10."

I think all articles about She Loves Me erroneously say that; the IBDB page for the production also listed that date until recently. But if you go to roundabout's website tickets aren't on sale past the previously announced closing unfortunately Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#72Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/9/16 at 3:14pm

Very selfishly, I don't want the show to be a Monster Hit. If it were, it would be less "mine, and mine alone". I've always thought of this show as a gem, which is also why I particularly love this production's jewel box stage design concept.

I want this particular production to succeed only to the extent that its investors recoup a satisfactory return, and its cast be employed only until they're ready to move on to something new. Beyond that, its success would inappropriately be cluttered by parasitic patrons suckling for "I saw it" status. If that were to happen, no one would take me seriously when I said, "You have to see this show!" (uh-huh... everybody says that.)

Everyone sees the magnificence of a sparkling diamond, but overexposure is like tarnish, or that crusty fermentation of sloughed skin cells in-between the links on a watch band, or the prongs of a ring setting. When there's too much of it, the beauty is obscured.

Updated On: 4/9/16 at 03:14 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#73Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/10/16 at 7:37pm

I think it's because the costumes aren't period enough.

funhamilton_rent
#74Why Isn't She Loves Me a Monster Hit
Posted: 4/10/16 at 7:59pm

Some alternate titles that I've seen that I love for SLM are:

Dear Friend

Parfumerie (I think this is perfect)

Lonely Hearts Club

The Shop Around the Corner

Parfumerie Love Story