Kinky Boots tour lately

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#50Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 2/25/17 at 10:59pm

Timothy Ware to star as "Lola" in Kinky Boots tour

I noticed E. Clayton Cornelious has left the tour(Lola standby). Any idea who covers "Lola" on the tour now?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#51Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 4/1/17 at 7:57am

ACL2006 said: "Timothy Ware to star as "Lola" in Kinky Boots tour

Timothy Ware has been in the role for one month now.  Has anyone on here seen him yet?  Also, we love Rose Hemingway and wondered how her Lauren is (Rose might be worth the price of admission for us!)

"

luvcaroline
#52Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 4/1/17 at 9:09am

This might end up being a double post, because I posted an hour ago and it hasn't shown up yet. Weird. Anywho, has anyone here seen Timothy Ware as Lola yet?  Also, we love Rose Hemingway and wondered how she is as Lauren. 

Edit:  my previous post must have shown up as I was typing this. Oh well, it's worth asking twice!

Updated On: 4/1/17 at 09:09 AM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#53Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 4/1/17 at 9:15am

luvcaroline said: "This might end up being a double post, because I posted an hour ago and it hasn't shown up yet. Weird. Anywho, has anyone here seen Timothy Ware as Lola yet?  Also, we love Rose Hemingway and wondered how she is as Lauren. 

Edit:  my previous post must have shown up as I was typing this. Oh well, it's worth asking twice!

"

Pretty sure every post that shows up 25th on each page of a thread only gets shows after the 26th reply in the page gets posted.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

luvcaroline
#54Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 4/1/17 at 10:36am

I never knew that. Thanks CMJ!

wicked4l
#55Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 4/1/17 at 10:58am

I've only seen Tim on Broadway and having seen every Lola. He's my least favorite. In fact if I were to show up and see he was on, I would ask for a ticket exchange. But maybe he's better now?

luvcaroline
#56Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 4/1/17 at 11:44am

wicked4l said: "I've only seen Tim on Broadway and having seen every Lola. He's my least favorite. In fact if I were to show up and see he was on, I would ask for a ticket exchange. But maybe he's better now?

Yikes!  thanks Wicked41

Zamedy154
#57Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 4/1/17 at 1:39pm

Unfortunately I have to agree. I've seen the First National Tour, Broadway and closing Toronto casts and Wares was, by far, the worst Lola. It was a completely different theatre experience (and that's not a compliment). His Lola lacked authenticity of any kind. It was hard to, well, like her. Lola never became Lola. It was a guy playing a drag queen with an over-the-top delivery. And for someone getting the chance to step into a role as an understudy, it just felt like he was almost walking through the part.

I didn't get to see Billy, but I can say my favorites were Wayne and the sensational J. Harrison Ghee.

luvcaroline
#58Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 4/1/17 at 2:29pm

Thanks for the feedback. We got to see Billy during the pre-Broadway run in Chicago, as well as Ghee on tour, and they were both fantastic. I really want to see Rose as Lauren, but I'm not sure I'd fully be able to enjoy her if I'm distracted/irritated with the guy playing Lola. But then again, maybe we'd get lucky and get the Lola understudy. Decisions, decisions...

Zamedy154
#59Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 4/1/17 at 5:53pm

I would still encourage you to go. It's still a fantastically fun show... a show we NEED right now. Perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised or perhaps he has improved significantly. At the end of the day, it's live theatre.. and there is nothing more joyous.

luvcaroline
#60Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 4/1/17 at 6:58pm

Zamedy154 said: "I would still encourage you to go. It's still a fantastically fun show... a show we NEED right now. Perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised or perhaps he has improved significantly. At the end of the day, it's live theatre.. and there is nothing more joyous.

Very true, plus I really do adore Rose Hemingway

theaterdrew Profile Photo
theaterdrew
#61Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 6/16/17 at 7:12pm

Saw the tour stop in Louisville.  Ware was Lola, Curt Hansen was Charlie, and Rose Hemingway was Lauren.  I hadn't seen it before, so can't compare to others who have played various roles.  With the exception of Hemingway, who was giving a Broadway caliber effort, I was underwhelmed by the other two.  Ware just seemed to need to take it up one notch.  He wasn't bad, but it felt at times like he wasn't fully reaching for it.  As for Hansen, my friend and I both found his voice to have an unpleasant nasal quality.   He was a fairly solid actor.  I left thinking it was a missed opportunity.  Still enjoyed it.

Oh, and the sound quality was really bad.  My friend said all she heard were the same phrases being repeated over and over, which I think was because the verses were incomprehensible.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#62Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 6/16/17 at 8:36pm

The tour does close on Sunday. A non-equity tour starts in September. Such a shame to hear it wasn't good.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

trpguyy
#63Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 6/16/17 at 9:59pm

theaterdrew said: "Oh, and the sound quality was really bad.  My friend said all she heard were the same phrases being repeated over and over, which I think was because the verses were incomprehensible."

Having seen the show in NY and being able to understand the lyrics, trust me when I say you're better off not understanding the words.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#64Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 6/16/17 at 11:56pm

I saw the show on Tuesday in Louisville (seeing it 3 more times this weekend), and while I don't echo the comments before me, I can simply say this is a solid cast. Nothing super outstanding, but they get the job done, and if you hadn't seen any other cast beforehand, you wouldn't know. I had the pleasure of seeing the OBC almost 4 years ago (gosh time flies), then I saw the 2nd cast of the first national tour (Ghee and Kaplan) so I could easily spot weaker points, but overall, I still had a great time, and the show made me feel wonderful (which is exactly what it's supposed to do). I don't think Ware is bad, he's just very standard, not adding anything new to Lola, but far from "phoning it in". I agree about Curt's voice. I wasn't a fan of the nasal-ness of it at first, but he blew the roof off the place during Soul of a Man. Rose Hemingway is just absolutely delightful is Lauren. Funny, sweet, and charismatic. 

This weekend I'll be seeing both matinees and the closing performance, so I'll be sure to report back if I see anything "report back" worthy. It's a long shot since it's the final weekend, but I'm hoping one of the matinees might lend itself to an understudy or two. 

Joshuabonnett
#65Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 6/17/17 at 12:39am

The sound quality issue is typical of shows playing at the Kentucky Center.  Of the 40+ shows I've seen there, rarely is the show tuned well for that space.  The orchestra almost always sounds prerecorded.  

"Once" was the exception there, and i honestly think it was just because all the musicians were on stage. 

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#66Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 6/17/17 at 12:54am

Joshuabonnett said: "The sound quality issue is typical of shows playing at the Kentucky Center.  Of the 40+ shows I've seen there, rarely is the show tuned well for that space.  The orchestra almost always sounds prerecorded.  

"Once" was the exception there, and i honestly think it was just because all the musicians were on stage. 

"

I find that interesting. I've been going to shows there since 2010, and I've never really noticed a problem with the sound quality. Granted, I am fortunate enough to be seated in the orchestra 99% of the time, so maybe that could have something to do with it? 

Joshuabonnett
#67Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 6/17/17 at 2:37pm

No ... I have had season tickets in every section of the theatre for the past 10 seasons and it is always the same.  Last five years we have resigned ourselves to the orchestra,   And sometimes I think it is even worse there.  The orchestra almost never sounds "live", and the sound design never fits the space 

trpguyy
#68Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 6/17/17 at 8:14pm

What you're describing sounds like your personal preference for how you like a show to sound doesn't align with the ever-progressive amplification of shows. 
The Kentucky Center is a 2,400-seat theater. It's never going to sound like the orchestra is acoustically coming from the pit, even if the sound designer wanted it to (and they almost never do). 
Put a bunch of expensive microphones in front of instruments, amplify them through big expensive speakers, and it's going to sound like a studio recording/"canned" music. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#69Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 6/17/17 at 8:17pm

Trust me, I've seen enough Broadway shows - in relatively small houses compared to Road houses, and it still sounds canned. It's just the sound they want I guess. 

trpguyy
#70Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 6/17/17 at 8:21pm

Correct. Some designers are interested in "intimate" sounding shows, when the show calls for it. But most are not, and producers want to hear/feel the sound system that they're paying for every week.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#71Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 6/18/17 at 12:45am

Went to both shows today (Saturday) and will see both tomorrow. I didn't know until they announced before the show, but tonight's show was the tour's 1,000th performance. Everyone's performances are growing on me. Tuesday could've been an off night, because both shows today the cast was on fire. Also, Curt's voice is growing on me as well. Upon first hearing, the nasal quality was apparent, but now he sounds fine. He does an amazing job with Soul of a Man, adding in some great soulful riffs. I'm of the opinion that Timothy is a really great Lola. My least favorite of the 3 I've seen, but not bad by any means. Rose is still the standout. Downright adorable as Lauren. Can she play Glinda already?!?

Also, funny mishap from tonight. When Curt threw Lauren the apple toward the end of Wrong Guys, she missed the catch and it bounced onto the stage and into the audience. She tried to chase it, but saw it was too late and decided to play air drums sans Apple. 

Updated On: 6/18/17 at 12:45 AM