pixeltracker

Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show- Page 4

Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#75Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 3:42pm

"Ok, but do you agree that it's a problem?  And if so, shouldn't someone be called out or disciplined in some way?"

Oh  yes, a thousand times yes it's a problem. It is such a huge problem that it hasn't been stopped no matter what we try. Who said it earlier, that the only way to stop it is to kick out the offending person with no refund. I'd love to see that happen.

Meanwhile, I understand why some actors just had had it to the point where they stopped the show. I totally understand it. But I have to also say that it probably in theory is considered unprofessional (you know, the show must go on, etc. and an actor should not let themselves be thrown by those things). In theory, yes, but I can see why they do it. As a house manager plus other things, I've been dying to throw people out for years!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#76Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 3:44pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Phones come with user's manuals. Take the time to read it, take time to know your phone especially how to turn it on and off. 

Why are people so damn lazy. It isn't brain surgery.

Humans....SMDH"

EXxactly!

Just give the world Love.

Margo319
#77Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show

"Saying millenials 'literally can't last a minute without using' their phones is as stupid as saying all old people don't know how to use their phones."

I agree, don't generalize all of us please.  The minute I enter the theater I turn off my phone until I walk out of the theater.   I was taught at a very early age respect for other patrons, cast and crew.  SOME young people can't get off their phones. SOME old people can't stop talking.  

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#78Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show

"Saying millenials 'literally can't last a minute without using' their phones is as stupid as saying all old people don't know how to use their phones."

I'll excuse that ignorant statement because you don't know hyperbole.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#79Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 3:48pm

" agree, don't generalize all of us please."

Hyperbole Margot. Look it up.

And no one said every single one of you do it. The question was who does it more, the  younger or the old.

aaaaaa15
#80Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 3:50pm

I don't think I was the one making an ignorant statement. 

I understand that it might be difficult to realize the importance of technology for those that have grown up with it in comparison to those that haven't but these comments about the way millenials speak, or it stunting their learning are ridiculous.

Updated On: 5/1/16 at 03:50 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#81Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 3:50pm

And it's an irrelevant question. It doesn't matter if the old do it more, or the young- it's happening, across the board.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#82Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 3:54pm

" these comments about the way millenials speak, or it stunting their learning are ridiculous."

Please post some of those comments. I haven't read any here. 

aaaaaa15
#83Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:00pm

"People are boors. We see it in the way they dress. We see it in their behavior in legit and movie theaters. It's obvious in restaurants. It's proven by their vulgar,  grammatically abysmal speech. We see it in their totally self absorbed world of technology. And let us not forget today's sad political candidates and their crass supporters.  To quote a Michael Stewart lyric: "Thank God I'm old.""

"I'm with you JayG. And it isn't going to get any better. I think writing, social and communication skills are diminishing because of technology. Even despite its amazing potential when used responsibly. I'm an older person as well but still think I should have been born a couple of decades earlier."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#84Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:03pm

I'm totally with you too, JayG, but I"m happy with when I was born and with the age I am.

aaaaaa15
#85Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:04pm

Jeez okay, I'm out of this conversation now.

Just think it would be good to remember that if it wasn't for technology a lot of people wouldn't have even discovered their interest in theatre/Broadway. It does good as well as bad. Technology helps learning in many ways.

Updated On: 5/1/16 at 04:04 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#86Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:05pm

Personally, I'd rather have someone eyes-down on their phone than someone looking down their nose at everyone else. 

But hey, different strokes. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 5/1/16 at 04:05 PM

lida rose Profile Photo
lida rose
#87Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:09pm

"I actually heard a story of my director saying that an actor was being rude during an Ethel Merman show, and she ended up dragging him out of the audience. I don't know if it's 100% true (or if it was Ethel Merman), but Ethel Merman and a lot of other people would do this if it happened in their times."

Elaine Stritch told that story in her show, it was a drunk man who was heckling her (Ethel) during Call Me Madam. in Elaine's version she hauled him out of his seat herself, but other people say she just left in the middle of the song and told the house manager to kick him out.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#88Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:16pm

yes, that's where it was from! I wonder if it's a true story.

Also, another thing is: I'm 24 and basically no one my age, that I know, calls people on the phone. I thought this was a widespread thing, avoiding calling people and generally communicating via text or other non-verbal forms.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#89Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:18pm

The 'progression' of the telephone from the beginning till now is astounding--anyone remember the first mobile that was the size of a house brick?

Now this little thing does everything except cook a roast dinner and I am convinced that pre-birth baby checks will now show Jnr.on their mobile communicating to the outside world--umbilical cords are no longer required for that.

It is no longer an accessory but a necessity for the majority. Now that the phone can also be used as a trigger for a destructive device, there HAS to be a way, in a confined space like a theatre or concert hall for technology to block their signal.

When I first went to school, my Mother tied a 6pence in a hanky--now a child gets handed a mobile phone and told to phone home--this is the new age but as always some adapt to the rules, others don't--as it always has been.

I don't have the solution and others on here are giving thoughts and emotional responses but unless politicians/government/management passes a rule--yes it DOES need to come down to that, then NOTHING will change and this situation will only get worse.

It is human nature for SOME to flaunt the law-I just hope to God that if they sit next to me that their phone[and them] is insured because they will need a paramedic to retrieve it.

Must go...phone ringing....caller ID...Laura who?

SL.........................x

aaaaaa15
#90Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:19pm

gypsy101 said: "Also, another thing is: I'm 24 and basically no one my age, that I know, calls people on the phone. I thought this was a widespread thing, avoiding calling people and generally communicating via text or other non-verbal forms."

Yep, I'm a similar age and very rarely talk on the phone. 

Updated On: 5/1/16 at 04:19 PM

Margo319
#91Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:20pm

" agree, don't generalize all of us please."

Hyperbole Margot. Look it up."

Um, Im not the one who said it.  You're confused.  And it's MARGO.  No T.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#92Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:20pm

"Personally, I'd rather have someone eyes-down on their phone than someone looking down their nose at everyone else. "

I might agree with you there, but the heads down on the phone is lethal on the sidewalks, and very bright in the theater!

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#93Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:21pm

That's why I'm convinced the problem is the older theater patrons. They still love to call people on the phone. I don't even want people to leave me voicemails.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

ArtMan
#94Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show

gypsy101 said: "yes, that's where it was from! I wonder if it's a true story.

Also, another thing is: I'm 24 and basically no one my age, that I know, calls people on the phone. I thought this was a widespread thing, avoiding calling people and generally communicating via text or other non-verbal forms.

I'm years older...so excuse me.  But your generation is so sad.

ArtMan
#95Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show

double post.

Updated On: 5/1/16 at 04:21 PM

Margo319
#96Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:22pm

I was AGREEING with the statement.  Obviously.

"Saying millenials 'literally can't last a minute without using' their phones is as stupid as saying all old people don't know how to use their phones."   - aaaaaa15

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#97Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:22pm

"Um, Im not the one who said it.  You're confused.  And it's MARGO.  No T"

Didn't you say you agreed with aaaa, who took the comment seriously? I'm not confused if that was you.

Sorry about the T, I have a friend who uses it, and I was so accustomed to talking to her.

Margo319
#98Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:25pm

It's cool, no worries.   I didn't take it seriously but the idea was kind of humorous.  

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#99Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:26pm

ArtMan said: "I'm years older...so excuse me.  But your generation is so sad."

I'm not clinically depressed or anything but okay, talking on the phone has just always stressed me out. Sue me about it.