pixeltracker

Riedel on Color Purple being better without Hudson

Riedel on Color Purple being better without Hudson

Sunny11
#2Riedel on Color Purple being better without Hudson
Posted: 5/13/16 at 1:55pm

Did he really have to tear down Hudson in order to praise Hadley? That seems just pointlessly  nasty. 

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#3Riedel on Color Purple being better without Hudson
Posted: 5/13/16 at 2:26pm

She must not have signed his Playbill at the stage door.

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
#4Riedel on Color Purple being better without Hudson
Posted: 5/13/16 at 2:33pm

Her tweet was nasty, though.  Not a team player.  Seemed she just wanted to be there for the award.  I'm more excited to see Heather anyway and now that she's being reviewed so well, I think I'm just gonna have to go ahead and splurge on tix

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#5Riedel on Color Purple being better without Hudson
Posted: 5/13/16 at 2:49pm

I don't think he tore her down, he's right, she was the weak link. When you hear Shug Avery is coming to town and then someone with low energy walks in, it's a letdown. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#6Riedel on Color Purple being better without Hudson
Posted: 5/13/16 at 2:55pm

This is such a stupid "article." But, to be totally fair, it's not untrue. What John Doyle said about Shug's appearance having to lift the show is insightful. When Jennifer Hudson started singing, it sounded as incredible as you'd expect Jennifer Hudson to sound. But she had absolutely no connection to anything, emotionally. It just bogged down her scenes, for me.

Without even having seen Heather in the role, I'm sure she's bringing her A game in a way Jennifer just couldn't. And the relationship between Shug and Celie has to be potent to make that spark of change in Celie believable. I hope to return to see her in it and to see Cynthia's beautiful performance again.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#7Riedel on Color Purple being better without Hudson
Posted: 5/13/16 at 2:57pm

Heather's arrival certainly boosts the show's chances at the revival Tony!

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#8Riedel on Color Purple being better without Hudson
Posted: 5/13/16 at 2:57pm

He's right, actually.  Sure, it was a bit harsh, but he's Michael Riedel...  It should come as no shock.

Hudson was a well-sung Shug.  Her acting, however, left a lot to be desired.  It was clear that she was at unease portraying someone with a firm grasp of their outward sexuality.  Her voice was fireworks, but her movement and line readings were flat-line.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#9Riedel on Color Purple being better without Hudson
Posted: 5/13/16 at 6:55pm

Hudson's tweet was sooo bad. Honestly, one of the reasons why I'm not on Twitter is that I don't want to get myself in trouble for tweeting something stupid out of anger or whatever. People get fired over tweets nowadays!

I never saw her in The Color Purple, but for her to come to Broadway (especially in a role that is not the starring role) and expect a Tony nomination just because she won an Oscar is just plain stupid and narcissistic.

NYCblurb
#10Riedel on Color Purple being better without Hudson
Posted: 5/13/16 at 11:54pm

Headley is fantastico in TCP. 
Hudson was a "B-" with lungs to stop a stage coach!

Great recast.

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.