Annie OBC - Hooverville

WicaS Profile Photo
WicaS
#1Annie OBC - Hooverville
Posted: 5/30/16 at 2:53pm

Hi guys! :) I have a question regarding Annie OBC recording and I'm sorry if this question has already been anwsered, but I was wondering, if anyone knows why "We'd like to thank you, Herbert Hoover" is so vasty different than all the later versions of the song. For example, on the OBC, Annie doesn't sing any part of the song, but in the offically published score, she has like two lines to sing. Thank you for your response! Annie OBC - Hooverville

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#2Annie OBC - Hooverville
Posted: 5/30/16 at 2:58pm

I wanna say they just cut it down for the record. I believe the song is split in two by a scene (can't recall exactly) so some editing had to be done anyway.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

trpguyy
#3Annie OBC - Hooverville
Posted: 5/30/16 at 4:05pm

Because even back then, they knew it was a terrible song. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4Annie OBC - Hooverville
Posted: 5/30/16 at 4:08pm

I believe the 30th anniversary cast album preserved the score as licensed if you want to hear the current version.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5Annie OBC - Hooverville
Posted: 5/30/16 at 7:34pm

They knew it was a terrible song .I guess that is why they wrote it and left it the show for over 2,000 plus performances 

Poster Emeritus

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#6Annie OBC - Hooverville
Posted: 5/30/16 at 7:59pm

is it a terrible song? I've always thought it was kind of fun.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7Annie OBC - Hooverville
Posted: 5/30/16 at 8:01pm

I thought it fit the show perfectly. It was caustic and sarcastic and got its point across rather well. One poster not liking it is just that - nothing more and nothing less.

Poster Emeritus

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#8Annie OBC - Hooverville
Posted: 5/30/16 at 9:36pm

I'm not sure if the cut was permanent, but although it was listed in the Playbill, We'd Like to Thank You, Herbert Hoover was NOT performed at the performance I saw of the '97 revival.  I was in the standing room section and Thomas Meehan was right next to me.  I wanted to ask him what was up with that!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#9Annie OBC - Hooverville
Posted: 5/30/16 at 9:57pm

Counterpoint to those who think it's a terrible song: What about how great Laurie Beechman sounds on the OBCR though?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#10Annie OBC - Hooverville
Posted: 5/30/16 at 10:02pm

givesmevoice said: "Counterpoint to those who think it's a terrible song: What about how great Laurie Beechman sounds on the OBCR though?"

I listened to it on the car on the way home and she sounds absolutely fabulous. Her NYC solo is one of my favorite solos in the history of cast recordings.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#11Annie OBC - Hooverville
Posted: 5/31/16 at 9:35am

I think the song works in the context of the show.  I certainly remember the audience reacting to it when I saw the original production.  Granted some audience members (i.e., my grandmother) had lived through the depression.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Videos