Broadway Shows for Dad

barbraboy19902
#1Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:19am

My dad is being super generous and is dragging himself to NYC with me in August to see Barbra. We will have time for two shows while we are there. He doesn't like musicals, but said he's open to trying a couple of shows. The only show he's ever seen was the Addams Family, and he did enjoy that. What should I look in to taking him to see?

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#2Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:32am

Is he a fan of Carole King? If so, he might enjoy Beautiful. My dad refuses to see a Broadway musical, but he'd see that because he loves her music.

barbraboy19902
#3Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:36am

I saw Beautiful in Atlanta and loved it, but I think Carol King is a little too mellow for him. 

Drewski Vanderbilt Profile Photo
Drewski Vanderbilt
#4Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:40am

Jersey Boys?

Petrichor
#5Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:41am

Fiddler on the Roof?

barbraboy19902
#6Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:41am

Drewski Vanderbilt said: "Jersey Boys?

"

Also not his thing...he's super difficult haha. 

slumdogdelaware
#7Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:46am

Your dad sounds like my dad, haha. What about Book of Mormon?

barbraboy19902
#8Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 9:49am

Book of Mormon has crossed my mind, and maybe School of Rock? I also wondered if maybe An Act of God would be enjoyable for him? If this were all up to me we'd be seeing Fun Home...I haven't seen it and want to soooo bad before it's gone. I'm fairly certain that wouldn't be his thing either...

slumdogdelaware
#10Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 10:01am

Yeah I would go with either Book of Mormon or School of Rock. 

@z5
#11Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 10:16am

Book of Mormon....my dad liked it and hates shows for the most part. As well as AN Act of God, those should be your 2 selections.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#12Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 12:50pm

Perhaps A Curious Incident? It's a play so it's one less musical for your dad, but it's amazing and I would totally recommend it even if you usually prefer musicals.

School of Rock might be good if he enjoys rock music. Or On Your Feet, if he likes Gloria Estefans music (going out on a limb here)?

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#13Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 1:50pm

I would consider Something Rotten. Yes, it's a musical, but also makes fun of the art form, PLUS there's D*CK jokes. Straight men love sophomoric humor and D*CK Jokes.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Hairspray0901
#14Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 2:01pm

My Dad isn't a 'broadway person' but he really enjoyed The Lion King. Aside from that, recently he has also enjoyed Curious Incident and Something Rotten!. 

A1st
#15Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 2:06pm

I would also say Book of Mormon or Something Rotten

asmith0307
#16Broadway Shows for Dad
Posted: 6/27/16 at 2:12pm

I also would recommend An Act of God, especially if he likes the Daily Show-type humor related to current events as David Javerbaum used to be the head writer for Jon Stewart.