pixeltracker

Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?- Page 2

Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#25Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 2:29pm

I've said this before, but since we're on the subject, for me, Cariou played the character as the "Ballad of Sweeney Todd" lyrics describe him: "Inconspicuous," "quick," "quiet," "clean," "smooth," "subtle," "a perfect machine." Cariou had a brooding quality, with an element that he could explode at any second.  When he finally did, at "Epiphany," and came to the edge of the stage, even in the enormous Uris Theatre, you wanted to draw back from him. It was really terrifying.  Hearn is terrific in his own right, but for me, he's really playing the madness from very early on. He seems contemptuous of Anthony in the very first scene, and when reunited with his razors in "My Friends" is screaming in the street. For me, it differs in the concept of a "quiet subtle perfect machine" of a man who has been plotting revenge for 15 years. So, the payoff felt greater to me with Cariou, but Hearn gives such a committed performance, I don't begrudge anyone who has a preference for him in the role.  

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#26Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 2:50pm

I never saw a production that had the balls to have the factory whistle as loud as the original production.  I saw the show cold and had no idea about the whistle.  When it sounded.... it was terrifying!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#27Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 2:52pm

Smaxie, your post pretty well sums up why I've always preferred Cariou. I've only seen Hearn and Cerveris, but I don't think anyone has been able to balance the two sides of the character quite so well. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#28Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 3:10pm

Morosco wrote, "I never saw a production that had the balls to have the factory whistle as loud as the original production.  I saw the show cold and had no idea about the whistle.  When it sounded.... it was terrifying!"

Ahhh, you just brought back the memory for me! I remember practically jumping out of my seat at the then-named Uris. That set was fantastic, it almost looked like a chunk of industrial 19th Century London had crashed through the back wall of the theatre...

nsguy45 Profile Photo
nsguy45
#29Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 3:24pm

Saw the OBP several times, including Angela's final performance. Also saw the national tour during its Boston run at the still uncompleted Wang Center while sitting in the front row in astonishment at the amount of saliva Angela was spritzing when she sang.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#30Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 3:30pm

Smaxie said: "I've said this before, but since we're on the subject, for me, Cariou played the character as the "Ballad of Sweeney Todd" lyrics describe him: "Inconspicuous," "quick," "quiet," "clean," "smooth," "subtle," "a perfect machine." Cariou had a brooding quality, with an element that he could explode at any second.  When he finally did, at "Epiphany," and came to the edge of the stage, even in the enormous Uris Theatre, you wanted to draw back from him. It was really terrifying.  Hearn is terrific in his own right, but for me, he's really playing the madness from very early on. He seems contemptuous of Anthony in the very first scene, and when reunited with his razors in "My Friends" is screaming in the street. For me, it differs in the concept of a "quiet subtle perfect machine" of a man who has been plotting revenge for 15 years. So, the payoff felt greater to me with Cariou, but Hearn gives such a committed performance, I don't begrudge anyone who has a preference for him in the role.  

"

The above is so well written and accurate it bears repeating. And FTR, I saw the original Broadway production many, MANY times and, of course, own the DVD.

I have no idea what the problem was with SF critics. Lansbury's character is shrewdly distinguished from her Mame and Madame Rose in the opening number. Not to mention one could just, well, look at her. I suppose Lansbury means she was competing with the critic's preconception that she played glamorous women (even Rose has her moments) in light comedies. I had no idea SF was so provincial.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#31Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 3:32pm

MichelleCraig said: "Morosco wrote, "I never saw a production that had the balls to have the factory whistle as loud as the original production.  I saw the show cold and had no idea about the whistle.  When it sounded.... it was terrifying!"

Ahhh, you just brought back the memory for me! I remember practically jumping out of my seat at the then-named Uris. That set was fantastic, it almost looked like a chunk of industrial 19th Century London had crashed through the back wall of the theatre...

"

You know that Prince bought an actual iron foundry (IIRC) to get that set, yes? So your metaphor isn't far off.

MichelleCraig
#32Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 3:37pm

GavestonPS wrote: "You know that Prince bought an actual iron foundry (IIRC) to get that set, yes? So your metaphor isn't far off."

OMG, it took me nearly a full minute to realize that you were talking about Harold and not the recently dear departed...

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#33Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 3:50pm

Watch this clip to experience Cariou's intensity onstage.

https://youtu.be/ISp5sjaSnl0?t=7907

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#34Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 3:53pm

MichelleCraig said: "GavestonPS wrote: "You know that Prince bought an actual iron foundry (IIRC) to get that set, yes? So your metaphor isn't far off."

OMG, it took me nearly a full minute to realize that you were talking about Harold and not the recently dear departed...

"

Oops! I actually liked Prince-the-singer very much, but, as you can tell, my frames of reference are almost always Broadway rather than pop music. Sorry for the confusion.

¿Macavity?
#35Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 4:27pm

morosco said: "Watch this clip to experience Cariou's intensity onstage.

https://youtu.be/ISp5sjaSnl0?t=7907

"

I've seen that! Is it just the camera that makes the lights look green? Also, was the entire show done with just a few lights on where stuff was happening? Did they light up the entire stage for the filming of the show?

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#36Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 4:40pm

I've seen that! Is it just the camera that makes the lights look green? Also, was the entire show done with just a few lights on where stuff was happening? Did they light up the entire stage for the filming of the show?

Keep in mind that this was a "fan recording" shot with a video camera back when home video cameras were new and rather primitive compared to today's home cameras which can do a better job shooting in low light.  The overall stage lighting was rather dim during this scene but not quite as dim as this recording would lead you to believe.  

Ranger Tom
#37Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 5:03pm

I love Hearn's voice in it but just felt his presentation of the character seemed a little too "rehearsed."  From listening to the OBCR and from the clips I've seen, I always felt that Cariou was more on the brink of true madness.  Both were amazing.  And, for my taste, loved Lansbury, could do without Lupone.  

¿Macavity?
#38Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 5:38pm

I just have to say how envious I am of you all getting to see the original Broadway production. I treasure the OBCR and the dvd with Angela! It's such a beautiful production. So perfect.

Not until May 25 of this year did I finally get to see a production of this show in person. I've just never gotten around to seeing it in London or on Broadway! So I went and saw the show at our Regional theatre. I went in with high hopes as I loved the show, and I knew what this Regional presenter was capable of. Before I move on, let me explain why... Our PAC has three theatres, one 2100 seat concert hall, one 700 seat theatre, and another 350 seat theatre. There are many presenters that present shows up here. One of them does the main big Broadway style shows in the concert hall (amoung many other talents), and another presenter that is based elsewhere in the state, but bring their shows here - they present in the other two theatres. They presented Sweeney, and I thought they'd do great as I'd seen their other plays in the 350 seat theatre, and they did fabtastic. Sweeney was in the 700 seat house. So, now that that's out of the way, let's speak of my disappointment of their butchering of the material... Here's a list of things that struck me as odd about this production:

No Prelude!!! I love the Prelude, and there's no recording of the full thing, aside from the Philharmonic recording, which has a less than impressive recording of the Prelude. I got over this though...

No whistle! I was okay with this only because it know that the show can survive without it. Still a little disappointing.

Poor orchestrations & poor orchestra: There was no organ (although they did play audio of the organ from the original  production). I could live without the organ but the not the other poor orchestral decisions they made. Also the show was two nights from closing, and yet the orchestra was playing one out of every four notes out of tune! Yikes!

Sound was dreadful: That says it all, you could hear Sweeney breathing on and off stage, ALWAYS. Also, that's why it was so obvious that they just used the audio of the organ, because the sound was miles from the orchestra pit!

Modern costumes/props: The program says "London, 1846" and yet the ensemble was wearing hoodies and jeans at some points! Also, Toby used a megaphone during the opening of Pirelli's Miracle Elixir. That's when I lost hope.

The harmonies were almost all cut! Or maybe not, because the ensemble was dreadfully unrehearsed... Funny thing is, there's only three ensemble members, the rest are made up by members of the cast, all of which did between okay and fantastic in their roles, but all were "yikes" in the ensemble. Sweeney, Lovett, and Toby, were excellent, when in there main characters.

By The Sea: This was painful...to say the least. They sang it like a pop song, with pop-y orchestrations. The ensemble with it wore '50s-modern swimsuits. On top of this they wore seagull hats during the song!

They butchered the score, literally. They changed so many things...and not for the better. I'll give them this, they included ALL usually cut songs, including Begger Woman's Lullaby.

The set was fairly interesting, so I'll also give them that.

Last but not least, because the show was so poorly staged and directed, the audience I was with thought that it was a twisted comedy! At the end when Sweeney finds out you-know-what, and the music goes *dun-dun!* and Sweeney yells "Oh No!" The audience burst out laughing! It was terrible. As somebody that has never been to Broadway or the West End, I had never given/seen a standing ovation but once or twice before in Chicago and Seattle. I saw one that night... I only stood for the main cast of Sweeney, Lovett, and Toby. 

The couple that I sat next to left at intermission, and they said that they hadn't even seen the show before, and said that they wouldn't want to see it again. 

I hope that one day I may see a good production of this show.

Sorry for any grammatical errors in this post.

¿Macavity?
#39Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 5:39pm

morosco said: "I've seen that! Is it just the camera that makes the lights look green? Also, was the entire show done with just a few lights on where stuff was happening? Did they light up the entire stage for the filming of the show?

Keep in mind that this was a "fan recording" shot with a video camera back when home video cameras were new and rather primitive compared to today's home cameras which can do a better job shooting in low light.  The overall stage lighting was rather dim during this scene but not quite as dim as this recording would lead you to believe.  

"

Ah, thanks!

Paciencia y fe Profile Photo
Paciencia y fe
#40Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 10:38pm

Imagine holding one of those bulky camcorders to record it! Nothing subtle or unobtrusive about those things!

MichelleCraig
#41Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/7/16 at 11:50pm

Macavity, I'm sorry this was your first live production of SWEENEY. I know you will see far better productions in tine.

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#42Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/8/16 at 12:34am

When Sweeney Todd came out it became my favorite new musical.  I don't think anything has topped it.   I saw the OBC and the tour twice at the Kennedy Center.

Some KenCen observations- I had bought a ticket for later in the run.   Then someone offered me two tickets to opening night.  I saw the original tour Beggar Woman.  Then there was that horrible accident where the trapdoor malfunctioned breaking both her ankles and trapping her in it.   I was told it took an hour to get her out of it, off to the hospital and put the understudy on for the final few minutes of the show.   I did prefer the understudy who I believe took over the role and is the one in the recording.

Angela only did 6 performances a week on tour.   Did anyone see her alternate?

Opening night when Sweeney slit men's throats the blood shot up to what looked life 10 feet.  It was crazy fun to watch.   I was told that because of horrified audience reactions they toned it done.   When I saw it again it was just a trickle.

When Len and Angela left the OBC they were replaced by George Hearn and Dorothy Louden.  It only lasted barely four months more.  If it had kept running I wonder who would have played Sweeney on tour.

¿Macavity?
#43Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/8/16 at 6:33am

MichelleCraig said: "Macavity, I'm sorry this was your first live production of SWEENEY. I know you will see far better productions in tine.

"

Thank you, yes, I believe I will, I'm making it a bucket-list type item.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#44Sweeney Todd -- 1982 telecast -- why no Len Cariou?
Posted: 7/8/16 at 8:10am

I gave the SF production a glowing review.  But I was on 10 watt college radio station.