pixeltracker

How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...- Page 2

How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#25How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/11/16 at 2:26pm

The first revival of A Delicate Balance ran 53 more performances than the original; the second revival, however, ran 24 fewer performances.

Actually, we are both wrong. The original production and the Glenn Close revival both ran exactly 144 performance (including previews and regular performances). I agree with you on principle that it's exceedingly rare to change a flop to a hit, though it's certainly not impossible. But it seems to happen more commonly in other art forms (one need only consider how many works in the standard operatic repertory were poorly received initially).

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Liza's Headband
#26How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/11/16 at 2:27pm

#WorstCastingIdeaEver

UnwoundFantasies
#27How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/11/16 at 2:38pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "Not exactly going to put butts in the seats...but can we have a revival starting Jeremy Jordan and Carmen Cusack?

"

Yes please!!

love the idea as Daniel for Leo Bloom wow

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#28How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/11/16 at 2:40pm

newintown said: "It seems unlikely that Parade would receive a commercial revival; even the original production was nonprofit, and only ran 85 performances (despite winning a Tony for Best Score, admittedly with no real competition)."

What's interesting about that though is the original production did not close soley because of its grosses. During its 9 week run, it posted above 55% of its gross potential, in January/February no less, 7 of those 9 weeks. The other production company involved, Livent, pulled out and filed for bankruptcy. It would have been interesting to see, had Lincoln Center picked up the extra costs, what a longer run would have done to it's chances at the Tony Awards...

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#29How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/11/16 at 2:43pm

"During its 9 week run, it posted above 55% of its gross potential, in January/February no less, 7 of those 9 weeks."

Maybe so, but I can't think of anyone who calls 55% a hit. If it was returning 85-100% of gross potential, that would be a good argument to transfer to a commercial run. But 55% is nothing more than barely squeaking by.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#30How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/11/16 at 2:51pm

No doubt, but given the lackluster year for new musicals and the fact that in the winter slump, it was getting by (albeit barely), I think the 9 Tony Award nominations it did get (months after it closed) could have translated into more than two wins possibly enhancing its place in the canon, making for a stronger argument for a revival (ala FALSETTOS).

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

JennH
#31How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/11/16 at 11:21pm

While Dan, lord love him, doesn't have the range or vocal power needed for this role at all, it seems I'm not alone in saying he'd SLAY it acting wise. He really would, which makes me want a straight play or film adaptation of the story in general just to see it happen. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#32How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/11/16 at 11:34pm

newintown said: "It seems unlikely that Parade would receive a commercial revival; even the original production was nonprofit, and only ran 85 performances (despite winning a Tony for Best Score, admittedly with no real competition).

I say "unlikely" rather than "impossible;" there's been an odd mini-trend of producers thinking that they can "fix" flops and make them profitable (Side Show, GigiCarrie, Jekyll and Hyde, etc.), but with no success.

In fact, I think that there are only two revivals that have run longer than their original productions: Mornings At Seven and Chicago (whose original production was not, despite popular opinion, a flop).

"

It's probably always going to be an uphill battle turning a flop into a hit but I would bet my life savings that if THE VISIT opened again in a couple of years with Meryl Streep, it would be an absolute smash hit at the box office. With the right star, I think many flops could be turned into a hit. I'm not suggesting Daniel Radcliffe is the right star for this show though. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#33How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/11/16 at 11:59pm

I'm not really sure I can think of a major star who could pull off Frank- it really is incredibly hard to sing. Maybe Groban (and his stage chops have yet to be shown) but even so, I don't think this show will ever be anything but a tough sell. Even as dark musicals go, it's relentlessly grim.

I will echo those suggesting Radcliffe as Leo Bloom- I think he'd be sensational in about 5-10 years. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#34How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/12/16 at 10:08am

I am sure Daniel's dancing skills will come in handy in Parade.  

wink

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#35How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/13/16 at 8:04pm

And yet I'm a trifle foggy as to just how much choreography involves Leo...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#36How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/13/16 at 8:23pm

God, listening to Jeremy Jordan on YouTube clips to me it looks like there a Tony-worthy performance right there. It's a shame he isn't an A-list star :P. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

cknick
#37How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/14/16 at 9:02pm

Does anyone have a copy of or know where I can read the revised libretto that is currently being licensed?  I know it's all on the Donmar CD, but I'd like to read it if possible.

And has anyone read Steve Oney's book "And the Dead Shall Rise?"

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#38How about Daniel Radcliffe as Leo Frank...
Posted: 8/14/16 at 9:20pm

Re revivals more successful than their original runs, the one that pops into mind for me is PAL JOEY. The 1940 original ran 374 perfs while the 1952 Bway revival ran 540.

I thought TR Knight was excellent in the Taper production-- amazing acting performance and vocal chops that were perfectly fine for that intimate space. But my vote would totally be for Jeremy Jordan if they ever mounted a New York revival.