pixeltracker

THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews- Page 5

THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#100THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/29/16 at 3:23pm

little_sally said: "How is Kyle Beltran in this? He was one of the main draws for me after seeing his excellent performance in The Flick.

"

Kyle Beltran was excellent. We didn't see the full cast - Harold was out - so of who we did see, Kyle was easily the strongest member of the cast. He was the only one that kept me engaged.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

VintageSnarker
#101THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/29/16 at 6:56pm

Can someone clarify what's wrong with the costumes? Anyway, this is all rather disappointing. I'm glad I held off on getting a ticket. 

somechrysanthemumtea said: "Last year they weren't off to a good start either - Thérese Raquin and Old Times didn't exactly inspire critical praise."

I liked Therese Raquin. I loved the set. The performances were generally pretty solid and I liked the script, never having seen or read any other version. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#102THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 10/2/16 at 9:21am

I saw this yesterday. I was going in expecting this to be absolutely horrible based on what I have read, but I actually ended up enjoying this. Is it perfect? Not even close. But is it a nice afternoon in the theatre? Yes.

Diane Lane is simply marvelous in this. Her performance has a very grand and regal-like quality to it. The rest of the cast was also great. There is definitely a lot of talent up on that stage.

The set has been much discussed on here. I REALLY liked it. It was simple, yet evocative and beautiful. The lighting was also stunning. The same can not be said for the costumes, though. The costume design was a big miss.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The decision to have the characters in modern day clothes for the final act made no sense. I know earlier posts reported Diane Lane wearing a pantsuit in the final act, but yesterday she was wearing a knee-length maroon long sleeve dress with black tights and heels.

The show clocked in at exactly 2 hours and 20 minutes, so they have gotten the running time down a bit. This was my first Chekov play, and I had a lovely time. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 10/2/16 at 09:21 AM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#103THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 10/2/16 at 9:37am

Re: the costumes (spoilers)

I know some people have commented about Lopakhin's lime green pants. I personally thought it worked -- remember that Lopakhin is a self-described nouveau riche with more money than taste -- but it seems to offend some people.

In the final scene, after the cherry orchard has been sold, the characters who heretofore wore period dress appear in modern clothes: Ranevskaya in a pantsuit, Gaev in a contemporary suit, Anya in jeans and a sweater than looks like its from H&M. 

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#104THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 10/10/16 at 12:59pm

I saw this yesterday and really didn't hate it as much as I was expecting to. It was fine; I've certainly seen way worse at Roundabout (Hedda Gabler and Therese Raquin spring to mind.) It ran about 2:15 and it didn't drag for me at all. Yes, some of the adaptation and directon is clunky and questionable but I didn't mind the costumes or set. I especially liked the live music. Overall the cast is fine, with Perrineau and Beltran being the standouts. Diane Lane barely registered for me. 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#105THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 10/10/16 at 6:23pm

I attended the performance on Saturday night and thought it was... fine. The costumes didn't bother me- they were clearly late 1910s-early 1920s   styles- until the modern dress in the final act, which just seemed inexplicable. 

The adaptation and style seemed to be working overtime to make Chekhov's play accessible and contemporary, to the point that everything just seemed unmoored to any real place or circumstance. Having an African-American Lopakhin is potentially interesting, but having text specifically referencing his family having been owned as slaves further muddies things here and is just a very shallow attempt to connect the Russia of Chekhov to America. I appreciated the comedy, though, as far too often these plays are presented as tragedies. 

The performances ranged in quality; I thought Keenan-Bolger was the most consistently effective. 

This just all seemed to be parts that don't cohere in a totally satisfying way. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 10/10/16 at 06:23 PM

Copperfield2
#106THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 9:44am

I'm only seeing The Cherry Orchard in November. It seems in several American productions of Chekhov I've seen it is very hard for an ensemble to get acting styles on the same page. I saw The Cherry Orchard in Russian at BAM last spring and it blew me away, though.

The director of this production has done good work in London so I do hope these very talented actors can become more cohesive with time.

I haven't seen Lane yet but she usually does good work. I would hate to think her Broadway debut would be badly received. She may not return if that happens. Her acting in Sweet Bird of Youth in Chicago was quite effective. I wonder if that should have been revived instead with a new director.

Harriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
#107THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 11:14am

There's an interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal about the design choices in the production. I'm not sure if this link will work for nonsubscribers, but it's at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/channeling-change-in-the-the-cherry-orchard-1476139747

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#108THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 11:24am

Kad said:  "Having an African-American Lopakhin is potentially interesting, but having text specifically referencing his family having been owned as slaves further muddies things here and is just a very shallow attempt to connect the Russia of Chekhov to America."

Wasn't something quite similar attempted by Josh Logan in The Wisteria Trees, his Cherry Orchard adaptation set in the American south? 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#109THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 11:32am

I'm not familiar with that work, unfortunately. I wouldn't have an issue with an adaptation of the play taking that direction. I just don't think it works if the context is still early 20th century Russia, as it is in this production.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#110THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 11:33am

The Lopahkin character in THE WISTERIA TREES (called Yancey Loper) is meant to represent the southern nouveau riche who made his money in the antebellum south, whereas the stand-ins for Lyubov and Gaev are meant to represent an old slavery family. Loper is white in the play (Kent Smith played him), so it diverges from the presentation of Lopahkin as a black man that has been done in several productions of THE CHERRY ORCHARD. It's been a while since I've read THE WISTERIA TREES (it was in college, when I wrote a term paper on Logan) but I believe he was presented as a former (white) sharecropper.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#111THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 10/11/16 at 1:26pm

Thanks, AC.

neonlightsxo
#112THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 10/14/16 at 2:35pm

Bump- opens on Sunday.