What's Next for the St. James?

yknot
#1What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/15/16 at 8:32pm

Anything coming in before Frozen/renovations?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#2What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/15/16 at 9:17pm

Half Time?

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#3What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/15/16 at 11:00pm

I know it's too late, but why oh why wasn't Ms. Midler's Hello, Dolly! booked into the St. James? That would have been so cool to have it in its original home!

Jeffrey Karasarides
#4What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/15/16 at 11:11pm

I guess these things are all about timing.

Another Winter Profile Photo
Another Winter
#5What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/15/16 at 11:15pm

Do we know when they are going to start the renovation?

Fosse76
#6What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/15/16 at 11:27pm

EthelMae said: "I know it's too late, but why oh why wasn't Ms. Midler's Hello, Dolly! booked into the St. James? That would have been so cool to have it in its original home!"

It's no great mystery: the St. James wasn't available. Technically, neither was the Shubert. Matilda's stop clause was implemented to accommodate Hello, Dolly (it was originally going into the Imperial, but Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 decided to go for an open run). 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#7What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/15/16 at 11:30pm

Why wouldn't Natasha be an open run from the get go? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jeffrey Karasarides
#8What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/15/16 at 11:32pm

It would've been a tough sell without Josh Groban.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#9What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/15/16 at 11:40pm

Wait wait.. Matilda's stop clause was implemented? That seems a little aggressive. Like, very aggressive. I can see wanting Hello Dolly which will, by all means, going to be talk of the town this season, but I thought a "gentle word from the theater owners to the producers" was enough for a show to bow out gracefully. And this is me quoting a user here.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ageorges3 Profile Photo
ageorges3
#10What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/21/16 at 11:19pm

The St. James is one of my favorite houses - was fortunate enough to see AI there back in 2010, Bullets in '14, and Something Rotten last summer - and I've been taken aback by how gorgeous that interior is each time I've been in there.  Heard Tommy Tune speak quite beautifully about it in a video - it's clear that its a treasured house from the perspectives of both audience members like me, and performers like him.  One of those rare theaters where everything - the mezz, the balcony (a particularly tough feat) -  just works.  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/21/16 at 11:26pm

With Something Rotten's closure, I wonder why an announced hasn't been made. 

ageorges3 Profile Photo
ageorges3
#12What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/21/16 at 11:33pm

Shame SR is closing - I really enjoyed it!  And it worked in that house - when Welcome to the Renaissance started, it was apparent that it just played well in that theater.  Certain shows like Phantom (imagining it at the Hirschfeld doesn't seem right, the way the Majestic is designed suits the show and its design elements - the proscenium and the angel - perfectly) or even a show like SR would play completely differently in a different house.  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/22/16 at 12:00am

Totally filled that theater, but I do wonder - since originally they were to open in Seattle before Broadway - how it would have panned out. I think it's a strong show now, but I think it could use some trimming. And the Act II opener doesn't work. And there's one too many "showstopper" type moments. And the final Hamlet moment isn't as funny as the previous scenes. But those first like 30 mins are gold.

ageorges3 Profile Photo
ageorges3
#14What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 9/22/16 at 12:10am

I agree.  The strong moments in the show - Brad Oscar's hilarity (wish I could've seen him do Max during his Producers days - Stro bumped him up to that part for a while and I can only imagine how funny that performance was), Christian Borle's characterization and spoof take on Shakespeare was awesome, and that musical number in and of itself, landed in a way few numbers do - definitely make the weaker parts of the score/book less apparent though!

Updated On: 9/22/16 at 12:10 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#15What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 7/2/17 at 4:54pm

Just curious: with Present Laughter closing today, is anything happening in/to the St. James in the months leading up to Frozen?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#16What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 7/2/17 at 5:04pm

What's Next for the St. James?

trpguyy
#17What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 7/2/17 at 5:50pm

^ that's from Glee, no?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#18What's Next for the St. James?
Posted: 7/2/17 at 6:10pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "What's Next for the St. James?

"

I'm bawling

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement