pixeltracker

An Oscar for Lin Manuel?- Page 4

An Oscar for Lin Manuel?

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#75An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/26/17 at 7:58pm

Don't think he'll win this year. Pasek & Paul & Hurwitz are favored to win, and they definitely deserve it. La la land is brilliant... I would say even Justin timberlake has a better chance to win than Lin Manuel.

You know I love me some Lin Manuel and I'm all for him becoming an EGOT... I just think he's gonna have to wait a year or two. Pretty sure that it will happen soon now that he's on team Disney.

aaaaaa15
#76An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/26/17 at 8:34pm

Justin Timberlake will not win. They rarely award the big pop song. A lot weren't even predicting it to get nominated. It's this year's 'Happy'.

Updated On: 1/26/17 at 08:34 PM

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#77An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/26/17 at 8:45pm

When I saw La La Land, the audio for the first number was terrible. It was so low it was very hard to hear the actual lyrics. I was about to get up and find someone to let them know when another person got up and when they returned the sound suddenly improved. I had simply assumed it was an error by the theater so this is the first time I'm reading that it was actually a common complaint. There is no way so many theaters would have audio issues for only that first scene without it being a problem in the film itself.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#78An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/27/17 at 1:45am

I haven't a clue what the lyrics to that song were. And, as a singer, it was a little irritating that no one in the movie - save John Legend - could actually SING the material. Stone was the best, but besides her last song, most everyone's vocals were poor, IMO. Which is maybe why my love for the movie was a little less than most people's. 

JennH
#79An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/27/17 at 9:47am

aaaaaa15 said: "JennH, you do know that Disney hired Lin for Moana in 2014 aka before Hamilton right? There was nothing about his name then that would have made people think 'this will help us to get Oscars', other than the fact that he'd written one award winning score by that point. 

"

Actually I didn't, I'd been wanting to know that for a while...good to know. I just don't understand why it waited to announce that until Hamilton was already a huge thing. 

Mans Jo-actually it's the Emmy he's missing, but I also spoke a little soon...sort of. He HAS an Emmy, but it's a non competitive one, it's one of those Special Award types. So he's...technically an EGOT but the ONE award wasn't a competitive one. It's obviously more prestigious to have all four in competition. I'm still waiting on when he actually WINS it. 

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#80An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/27/17 at 11:25am

If Menken was really wanting to earn an Emmy, he would be a shoe-in for a Daytime Emmy.  It's probably the fastest way to get one, I think he is working on a Tangled show so he'll probably get one there.  

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#81An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/27/17 at 11:53am

And, as a singer, it was a little irritating that no one in the movie - save John Legend - could actually SING the material.

Stone and Gosling can sing. They have before. And Stone proved it in her final number, where she was finally allowed to belt. They were clearly directed to sound more "natural" and less polished, similar to how Tim Burton directed his actors in the SWEENEY TODD film. If you did not enjoy the sound, feel free to complain, but complain about the correct thing.

There is no way so many theaters would have audio issues for only that first scene without it being a problem in the film itself.

I remember when the HAIRSPRAY movie came out, Marc Shaiman was on this board explaining that the sound level was intended to be played at a certain level, but so many theaters around the country were playing it at a lower level. He actually instructed the BWW posters to go up to the theater staff when they saw the movie, ask if the sound was at the correct level, and demand them to set it correctly if it was not. So it was a common enough issue then. I had no problem hearing the first song when I saw the movie, so I can absolutely believe that the issue was with the theaters, not the film. Either way, I'm excited to hear how it sounds on the Blu Ray in my home speakers.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."
Updated On: 1/27/17 at 11:53 AM

JennH
#82An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/27/17 at 12:10pm

finebydesign said: "If Menken was really wanting to earn an Emmy, he would be a shoe-in for a Daytime Emmy.  It's probably the fastest way to get one, I think he is working on a Tangled show so he'll probably get one there.  

"

Well there's that Tangled Disney Channel show coming soon. The one that's 2D animated but way differently. That's the only Tangled show I know of right now, and I have no idea if it's a 'musical' show...and if it is, is it eligible for the Emmys? 

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#83An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/27/17 at 12:38pm

I remember when the HAIRSPRAY movie came out, Marc Shaiman was on this board explaining that the sound level was intended to be played at a certain level, but so many theaters around the country were playing it at a lower level. He actually instructed the BWW posters to go up to the theater staff when they saw the movie, ask if the sound was at the correct level, and demand them to set it correctly if it was not. So it was a common enough issue then. I had no problem hearing the first song when I saw the movie, so I can absolutely believe that the issue was with the theaters, not the film. Either way, I'm excited to hear how it sounds on the Blu Ray in my home speakers.

Except it was just that song. When I saw it, as soon as that song was over the sound was blasting, almost like it was too loud! 

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#84An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/27/17 at 2:37pm

But you also said you saw another person get up and the sound was fixed after they got back. Maybe it was a coincidence, or maybe they said something to the theater and the theater increased the volume. Or someone running the film noticed that the sound seemed off and fixed it after the opening number. I'm just saying, it is possible it is a problem happening at multiple theaters, and not an issue with the film's sound.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#85An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/27/17 at 2:54pm

I had issues with the sound mixing in "Another Day of Sun" too. I couldn't understand most of the lyrics and it just sounded muddy. The sound was fine for the rest of the film.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#86An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/27/17 at 3:04pm

JennH, i believe i heard that Tangled television show will have songs by Menken and Slater. so his time to EGOT may come soon.

for everyone who couldn't understand the lyrics of Another Day of Sun, here they are.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

finebydesign
#87An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/27/17 at 4:07pm

" is it eligible for the Emmys? "  Yea probably.  It's pretty easy to find a category and win an Emmy.  Many of my friends have technical Emmys and they just built websites.  The bar is pretty low...

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#88An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/27/17 at 4:14pm

yeah but Alan Menken doesn't design websites, he writes songs. there aren't that many categories for songs.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

finebydesign
#89An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/27/17 at 6:05pm

I know what you're saying, but I'm saying he could easily get one and not necessarily a conventional route.  He could win one writing a song for the Oscars for instance, or get a producer credit, musical direction or performance credit etc.  His non-competitive Emmy is kinda hilarious because it is a real award, it isn't like a special achievement or anything. It is VERY easy, he's definitely gotten the tough stuff out of the way, Oscar and Tony are by far the hardest.   Anyway, I don't think it's keeping him up at night.  

Videos