The Beach Boys: The Musical

Zamedy154
#1The Beach Boys: The Musical
Posted: 2/18/17 at 9:15am

I'm sitting here listening to my 'Best of The Beach Boys' CD. This is America's song book. Has there ever been talk over the years about turning this iconic music into a musical, along the veins of Jersey Boys or Mamma Mia!? 

If not, perhaps I should start working on a libretto now. 

Updated On: 2/18/17 at 09:15 AM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3The Beach Boys: The Musical
Posted: 2/18/17 at 9:45am

Wasn't there also once in Vegas called Surf: The Musical?

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#4The Beach Boys: The Musical
Posted: 2/18/17 at 9:55am

The musical "Good Vibrations" was terrible and that would probably stop a "Jersey Boy" like musical. being done about the Beach Boys. I think a better idea would be to make a musical from the Brian Wilson movie "Tender Mercy"( starring John Cusack). This way you incorporate a serious story subject with music of the Beach Boys.

Updated On: 2/18/17 at 09:55 AM

jbird5
#5The Beach Boys: The Musical
Posted: 2/18/17 at 10:04am

Maybe a musical about the relationship between Dennis Wilson and Charles Manson.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#6The Beach Boys: The Musical
Posted: 2/18/17 at 11:05am

"Maybe a musical about the relationship between Dennis Wilson and Charles Manson."

That would be quite weird - lol.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#7The Beach Boys: The Musical
Posted: 2/18/17 at 11:08am

You mean Love & Mercy?

Wilmingtom
#8The Beach Boys: The Musical
Posted: 2/18/17 at 11:24am

Surf City was a book musical with a Beach Boys score off-Broadway at the Orpheum in the early 80s.  Dreadful.

broadwaysfguy
#9The Beach Boys: The Musical
Posted: 2/18/17 at 11:55am

I think a beach boys musical with a  great book (like love and mercy) could be fantastic

one challenge for me ( a reason i liked not loved motown) is its really hard to sound just like some of the most iconic voices (beach boys, michael jackson, even elvis in that terrible musical)

im still bugged by the off portrayal of the righteous brothers singing youve lost that lovin feeling in beautiful(loved the musical otherwise)

The very beautiful falsettos of brian wilson, and the richly blended harmonies may be very tough to recreate eight nights a week, and without those, a lot of the beach boys music(good vibrations, god only knows, sloop john b, in my room, surfer girl) goes from being modern classics, to just some good songs.

I think it really helped mamma mia and jersey boys that most american audiences, while familiar with some of the great hits of each group, did not have the familiarity that most have with good vibrations or god only knows....a second rate imitation would be a cognitive disconnect for many....

If someone does create a a new beach boys musical, i will go with optimistic enthusiam

until then, i have my second row beach boys tix for march 12th and Ill keep seeing them as long as they keep performing....