pixeltracker

David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival- Page 2

David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#25David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/23/17 at 1:40am

If you say so, Mark, I'll give it another listen.

A Director
#26David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/23/17 at 2:03am

The Full Monty is a fun show with a strong score.  The show has lots of heart.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#27David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/23/17 at 2:41am

MarkBearSF said: "I love the score for his humor, clever rhymes, and bouncy beat. It's a fun score. Will it ever reduce me to tears like just a few bars from numerous Sondheim tunes will? Of course not. But I love playing it in the background or singing along in the car to "Life WIth Harold," "Jeannette's Big Showbiz Number" or "Big Black Man.""

I also think "Scrap" does a great job of presenting the blue collar male dilemma at the top of the show.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#28David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/23/17 at 8:17am

I agree, Mark. “Scrap” is a pretty acute little psychological dissection. For my money, “Breeze Off the River” is as beautiful and likely to get me teary as “You Walk With Me.” And “Jeanette’s Showbiz Number,” “Life With Harold,” “It’s a Woman’s World,” “Big Black Man,” “Michael Jordan’s Ball,” and “Let It Go” never fail to get me singing, happy, and charged up. The show is book-heavy, so my only complaint about the score is that it feels incomplete at times. I wish the show had one or two more songs and that a couple of the them in there were longer.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#29David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/23/17 at 9:54am

I haven't seen the film since it was released but I've seen three productions of the musical. There are several character arcs but each feels underdeveloped and hastily resolved. 

Jerry learns to be a better father. (resolved in a sweet but problematic book scene late in the show)

Jerry overcomes his homophobia (the klunkiest moments in the book IMO. Act One: "I hate fairies." Act Two: "Good for them."

Dave and Harold overcome their marriage problems (resolved in a late show reprise where the cartoon-ish wives suddenly become sensitive souls)

Malcolm and Ethan fall in love (resolved in a deceptively pretty song that's actually a tribute to Malcolm's dead mother, making the romantic aspect of it creepy).

All of the men find self worth despite unemployment. 

Each production I've seen has had fit and conventionally attractive actors in the roles of Jerry, Malcolm and Ethan. We also get Keno and some fit chorus boys stripping in the first act. The show can easily become more about eye candy than any of the aforementioned themes.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 2/23/17 at 09:54 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#30David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/23/17 at 10:11am

I'm not so crazy about this show; the source material is small, weird, sentimental, and quirky. I think that McNally ironed out the quirks and weirdness and amplified the sentiment. And Yazbek's songs generally feel like good starts but not quite finished (to me).

Updated On: 2/23/17 at 10:11 AM

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#31David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/23/17 at 11:01am

MrsSallyAdams said: "I haven't seen the film since it was released but I've seen three productions of the musical. There are several character arcs but each feels underdeveloped and hastily resolved. 

Jerry learns to be a better father. (resolved in a sweet but problematic book scene late in the show)

Jerry overcomes his homophobia (the klunkiest moments in the book IMO. Act One: "I hate fairies." Act Two: "Good for them."

Dave and Harold overcome their marriage problems (resolved in a late show reprise where the cartoon-ish wives suddenly become sensitive souls)

Malcolm and Ethan fall in love (resolved in a deceptively pretty song that's actually a tribute to Malcolm's dead mother, making the romantic aspect of it creepy)...
"

Thank you for identifying what had bothered me - although I don't agree with your characterizations of the wives. As I said, I had forgotten the details of my problems with the second act plot resolutions, but this is exactly it. (Except for the last point, which I hadn't noticed).

Although I still love the score and will probably see it again at some point.

Updated On: 2/23/17 at 11:01 AM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#32David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/23/17 at 11:01am

I don't disagree with that assessment about McNally's book, newintown. And I love the movie, which itself is ultimately pretty sentimental, but certainly scruffier. I wouldn’t break my neck mounting a defense of it as a “great” show, but for me, it’s very much a comfort-food show, and I don’t have many of those.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Jarethan
#33David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/23/17 at 12:24pm

Jackie Hoffman would ruin it.  She is so over the top.  Kathleen Freeman was never over the top, not to suggest there aren't other ways to play the role.

Jarethan
#34David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/23/17 at 12:24pm

Jackie Hoffman would ruin it.  She is so over the top.  Kathleen Freeman was never over the top, not to suggest there aren't other ways to play the role.

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#35David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/25/17 at 10:59pm

Dollypop said: "James Snyder as Jerry.  Mary Tests as Jeanette

"

But who is Mary Test? Is she related to Johnny Test, cousin or kin to Johnny Quest? I've never heard of this person. I've only seen the show once but MARY TESTA would be great as Georgie. She'd blow that out of the park vocally. Although she is probably way to old for the role now.

mamaleh
#36David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/26/17 at 7:57am

MONTY at Paper Mill had the ideal Jeanette:  Elaine Stritch.  She was perfection.  

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#37David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/26/17 at 8:30am

Stritchy was outstanding in the role, essentially playing herself (even wearing her signature white shirt and black leggings). I never saw Kathleen Freeman, but Jane Connell, who was playing the role when I saw it on Broadway, was great. 

The role works with anyone who can be salty and ham it up. Hoffman fits that to a t, as does Mary Testa. 

Dollypop
#38David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/26/17 at 6:01pm

Whoopi Goldberg ad Jeannette?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 2/26/17 at 06:01 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39David Yazbek wants a Full Monty revival
Posted: 2/26/17 at 6:05pm

Oh, I could definitely get into Whoopi as Jeanette.