ANASTASIA Previews

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#75ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:03am

Great to hear about Ramin's performance!!! I'm really hoping he gets a Tony nom for best featured actor this year!

neonlightsxo
#76ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:07am

John Bolton seems like a more likely nomination to me, but anything is possible.

ForB4
#77ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:07am

Did they change Anya's hair color?

What's the chemistry like between Christy and Derek?

I didn't get the chance to see it in Hartford but my friend did and on of her only complaints was that she felt that Anya was a bit too weepy at times? Has that changed?

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#78ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:11am

Although I loved the Hartford performance that I saw, there were definitely a few aspects that I thought needed some work and it sounds like they have made the improvements.  Neon, do you know if they made any major improvements to the choreography, or any improvements to the background tv graphics (the trees flying by) when they are riding on the train and being pursued by bad guys?  Those were areas that I thought could use a little tweak when I saw Hartford.

neonlightsxo
#79ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:11am

Her hair color? No. Why does that matter?

Derek and Christy have awesome chemistry. I'm not great at describing chemistry but they are believably combative and argumentative and grow closer as the show goes on.

I don't find Anya weepy at all, so I can't really respond to that. Her reactions are appropriate to the situation.

Updated On: 3/24/17 at 10:11 AM

Polka Dot2 Profile Photo
Polka Dot2
#80ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:12am

I'm about to buy tickets. I could get the 15th row center, or I could get closer up if I go towards the side. For those who have seen it I would love an opinion- is this the type of show that is better from farther back so you can get the full impact from the staging/set? Or is it better to be a little closer to enjoy some nuances in performance? 

neonlightsxo
#81ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:13am

Daddy Warbucks, as I said, the video screens and projections are amplified and improved. So yes, they are much better. There are also extensive map graphics during the travelling which I really liked. I think you'll be pleased. It's some of the best video/projection design I've seen on Broadway.

I liked the choreography in Hartford and I really liked it last night. Is there a specific scene you have a question about? It didn't seem that different to me.

ForB4
#82ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:14am

The hair color doesn't matter but I saw some pics and it looked different, that's all.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#83ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:15am

neonlightsxo said: "John Bolton seems like a more likely nomination to me, but anything is possible."

Very true, Karimloo may have a much meatier character than Bolton.

neonlightsxo
#84ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:15am

Polka Dot2 said: "I'm about to buy tickets. I could get the 15th row center, or I could get closer up if I go towards the side. For those who have seen it I would love an opinion- is this the type of show that is better from farther back so you can get the full impact from the staging/set? Or is it better to be a little closer to enjoy some nuances in performance? "

I was on the far right sight of the mezz and my seat actually was partial view and not marked that way. While you'd probably be fine in the orchestra on the side, I'd go towards the center.

neonlightsxo
#85ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:18am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "neonlightsxo said: "John Bolton seems like a more likely nomination to me, but anything is possible."

Very true, Karimloo may have a much meatier character than Bolton.
"

It's just a comparison of a comedic role (Bolton) vs a dramatic role (Karimloo). Stage time is about the same.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#86ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:32am

YES! YES! YES! Neon, thank you so much for your review! I'm so overjoyed that they changed the things that needed change from Hartford! So happy that Gleb is so so so much more developed and Christy's Anya is more like the movie as it sounds like. Sucks they still have the random blonde hair, but tiny prob.

Let me just say the my dad passed away on Sunday and Anastasia is helping me a lot right now. Especially how it's better than in Hartford. And I'm glad my dad is joining me on my journey :) 

Questions:

-What's Rumor in St. Petersburg like now? Tell me they have choreography. Also, is Anya's entrance after RISP now? It makes more sense than adding her for three seconds in the middle of the number.

-Do they add more sarcasm in Anya/Dimitry's relationship? Also, is Christy a lot more like the movie now? (it sounds like it.) Her Anya in Hartford was great, but her lack of Anya from the movie was also distracting

-What are the re-written "Rumors Never End," "Neva Flows," "Land of Yesterday Reprise", and "Still/The Neva Flows" (Reprises) like?

-Is the Quartet in the Ballet different b/c of the new Gleb music?

-Tell me that they brought the blue ballet dress back. NBD if they didn't, but one of the photo shoots indicated its return.

neonlightsxo
#87ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:37am

Sorry about your dad.

Again, I found Christy to be "feisty" in Hartford, so this isn't a dramatic change. If you didn't think she was feisty enough in Hartford, you'll probably feel the same way. Christy is not doing anything drastically different but her performance has deepened.

"Do they add more sarcasm in Anya/Dimitry's relationship?" Maybe? Not really?

"What's Rumor in St. Petersburg like now? "

Pretty much the same, just some different lyrics and lines. Not sure what you mean about choreography either, it's basically the same.

"Is the Quartet in the Ballet different b/c of the new Gleb music?"

Not that I noticed. Again, I haven't watched a bootleg or anything, I'm going on my memory from seeing it at Hartford so some of these specific questions are rough for me without a recording.

"Tell me that they brought the blue ballet dress back. NBD if they didn't, but one of the photo shoots indicated its return."

The dark blue one? Yes.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#88ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:41am

Thank you, neon. Oh my god, so happy they have the blue dress back! I thought Christy was excellent too and I'm so excited to see how she was grown. 

neonlightsxo
#89ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:43am

The Neva Flows takes place when Gleb/Ramin brings Anya into his office to warn her. I don't remember if that's how it was before or not.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#90ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:05am

New block of tickets on sale into 2018! I know that generally means nothing, but I thought it was worth noting. 

neonlightsxo
#91ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:14am

It's selling very well so in this case it does mean something.

daniellesf
#92ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:21am

I hate to say this, but I didn't enjoy this production.  The score in the film is lovely, so I had high hopes.  The show is slow and dull.  Way too many new songs, most of which didn't work.  The story is frustrating - the character development (or lack of) for Anastasia is weak.  It is old fashioned in the way that Anastasia is very very passive - and the action all moves forward for her bc of the MEN'S actions.  She just kinda floats along following everyone.

Even "Journey to the Past" didn't have the impact it should have.  She sang the song very one-note without building to any sort of climax.  Just vanilla.  

The costumes are lovely, but listening to comments around me, many were disappointed as well.  Maybe it'll improve through previews if they put the work in.  Caroline O Connor and John Bolton are great, but this side story seemed totally out of place and shoehorned in.  The less said about Ramin's character the better (NOT HIS FAULT - he has a beautiful voice and presence - it's the writing).

neonlightsxo
#93ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:25am

I don't agree with one word of that except maybe the word Anastasia but ok. Thanks.

It doesn't seem like you hate to say that at all.

I'm completely open to criticism about the show, obviously I am a fan but it's not for everyone. Calling everything boring and vanilla is not criticism.

Updated On: 3/24/17 at 11:25 AM

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#94ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:41am

Sounds like they made a lot of positive changes! AWESOME! Thank goodness. Can't wait to hear what WhizzerMarvin says... Hopefully I'll catch this this week. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#95ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 12:42pm

"I'm completely open to criticism about the show, obviously I am a fan but it's not for everyone. Calling everything boring and vanilla is not criticism."

You're clearly not open to criticism if you won't accept someone calling the show boring and vanilla. Just because you don't agree with their opinion doesn't mean it's not valid.

neonlightsxo
#96ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 12:54pm

...boring and vanilla is vague criticism. They didn't explain themselves. That was my point. They can call any show anything they want.

10086sunset
#97ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 1:25pm

Neon, thanks for your thoughts and glad you enjoyed the show as much as you did. 

Was wondering if you thought the second act was stronger than the first?

10086sunset
#98ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 1:25pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Let me just say the my dad passed away on Sunday and Anastasia is helping me a lot right now. Especially how it's better than in Hartford. And I'm glad my dad is joining me on my journey :) 

I'm so sorry disneybroadwayfan22, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

neonlightsxo
#99ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 1:37pm

10086sunset, hope all is OK with you! The second act definitely moves faster but I wouldn't necessarily say it's stronger. Some of the best music is in the first half.

Videos