MISS SAIGON Reviews

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#125MISS SAIGON Reviews
Posted: 4/23/17 at 12:04am

Caught the matinee today and still not sure what to think - perhaps because my mind was still in Yonkers from Hello, Dolly! the night before.   We had the Chris understudy (Colby) and Lianah as Kim.  I am not sure if this was one of the first time Colby has gone on, but there were a few issues (particularly in The Confrontation).  Also, some sound issues overall.  I was still moved by the story and glad a new generation of theatre-goers are getting exposed to this show.    

I saw the original back in the day and grew up singing the OBC too and was a bit thrown off by the new lyrics/songs (Please, Maybe).  That said, there were many "new things" in this production that I loved.  I really liked the opening - the added context with the overture for Kim. I  also felt like I knew more about Gigi so the Movie in My Mind was even more haunting.  I don't recall the Engineer wanting to go to America so badly in the original - I loved that focus in this production and it makes  The American Dream more meaningful and it's heartbreaking at the end where he doesn't get there.  

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#126MISS SAIGON Reviews
Posted: 4/23/17 at 7:39am

I saw this for the first ever this past Thursday and was incredibly moved by it.  I think the first act is a bit too long, I believe there are 17 songs in the first act alone.  I also feel that unsung dialogue would have kept the first act a bit more engaging but besides that, I had no issues since the second act was outstanding in every way.

i found the love story a bit unbelievable since it started immediately after 1 night of sex, but that's nitpicking and for the sake of getting to the rest of the story, I could accept that.  However, what moved me most of all was the reminders of that era and how it related to today's world..  To see the desperation of refugees portrayed on stage was something that truly captured me. I wish people who object to refugees being allowed in our country would see his show and I think they would see things in a different light.  

I feel that most people on this board have a tendency to compare all revivals with original productions and I think this is unfair to the revivals.  I had not seen original productions of LeMis or Miss Saigon and really enjoyed both.  If not for the pans on this board, I wouldn't think twice about the quality of each of those productions.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#127MISS SAIGON Reviews
Posted: 4/23/17 at 8:58am

I asked this in the previews thread, but I think this may be the more appropriate place to ask.  Do they sell window cards for this production at the theatre?  I couldn't find any information about it online.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#128MISS SAIGON Reviews
Posted: 4/30/17 at 3:33pm

NYTIMESMISS SAIGON Reviews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BwayinVan
#129MISS SAIGON Reviews
Posted: 5/2/17 at 12:38am

I caught the show last Wednesday night. Initially I was disappointed because it was supposed to the Kim alternate however for whatever reason (It was Pinoy Night) Eva was on. In fact the whole cast was on which I was happy about because it looked like Brammar had been out for most of the week. I thought the female leads was awesome. Eva is a fabulous Kim. Vulnerable yet strong and with a voice that hits the back wall of the theatre. Rachelle Ann Go also has a mean set of pipes and I really liked her Gigi. And for once I actually felt sorry for Ellen. Katie Rose Clarke made Ellen relatable and the new song really helped you understand where Ellen was coming from.

Jon Jon. What can I say, the guy is a great Engineer. He's slimy yet charming. You find yourself hating him and rooting for him at the same time.

The one person I was disappointed in was Nicholas Christopher. His John just felt flat to me and although he has an amazing voice I found his Bui Doi to be 'meh'.

Miss Saigon has been one of my favourites for a long time and this revival didn't disappoint.

A word of advice. I was seated in the aisle seat on the left side of the mezzanine. Although it was the front row the view wasn't the best as there is a bar at the bottom of the stairs  that kind of restricted my view. Thankfully the centre front mezzanine was empty so I was able to sit smack dab centre for the second act.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#130MISS SAIGON Reviews
Posted: 5/3/17 at 4:54pm

mc1227 said: "I saw this for the first ever this past Thursday and was incredibly moved by it.  I think the first act is a bit too long, I believe there are 17 songs in the first act alone."

I think the first act should end with "This is the Hour". It's far more powerful than having the characters slowly amble off the stage and would really bring down the curtain, like "One Day More!" in Les Miserables.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#131MISS SAIGON Reviews
Posted: 5/3/17 at 4:57pm

Still disappointed Jon Jon Briones didn't get a Tony nomination yesterday. He was sensational.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#132MISS SAIGON Reviews
Posted: 5/4/17 at 9:54am

Lot666 said: "mc1227 said: "I saw this for the first ever this past Thursday and was incredibly moved by it.  I think the first act is a bit too long, I believe there are 17 songs in the first act alone."

I think the first act should end with "This is the Hour". It's far more powerful than having the characters slowly amble off the stage and would really bring down the curtain, like "One Day More!" in Les Miserables.

"

Agreed. This is the Hour sounds like an act I finale. The cliffhanger after she runs off with Tam would definitely add suspense to what will happen in Act II.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#133MISS SAIGON Reviews
Posted: 5/4/17 at 10:42am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Still disappointed Jon Jon Briones didn't get a Tony nomination yesterday. He was sensational.

"

Me too. Honestly the biggest shock of them all. I hadn't seen this show yet (trying to go by the end of the year), but by the clips I've seen, he looks perfect!