pixeltracker

NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions- Page 4

NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions

Wayman_Wong
#75NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/13/17 at 3:16pm

I agree that ''The Great Comet'' probably will walk away with the most Tony wins (possibly 6, and include Choreography), but not Score (which probably goes to Pasek & Paul's ''Dear Evan Hansen'' ). Best Musical looks like it's between ''Dear Evan Hansen'' and ''Come From Away,'' and, for now, I'm predicting the latter.

Updated On: 5/13/17 at 03:16 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#76NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/13/17 at 3:25pm

I love Jenn Colella and I'm thrilled she got a nom, but I don't think this was the performance to get nominated for. I love Peil in Anastasia, but she is not going to win.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#77NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/13/17 at 3:27pm

ljay889 said: "Green is absolutely right that WAR PAINT should have been nominated for score.

"

Right. We all want that dinosaur to roam the earth.

Wayman_Wong
#78NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/13/17 at 5:34pm

''I love Jenn Colella and I'm thrilled she got a nom, but I don't think this was the performance to get nominated for.''

Then, it's fortunate for Colella that the nominators for the Outer Critics Circle, the Drama Desk and the Tonys all disagreed with you. NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions

Since performers have no say over which performances they do or don't get nominated for, I bet Colella is grateful for any recognition.

Updated On: 5/13/17 at 05:34 PM

The Other One
#79NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/13/17 at 5:47pm

MoveOnGypsy said: "little_sally said: "I agree. I liked Oslo a lot but it felt very by the books. I can't imagine it'll have much of a life elsewhere."

It's opening on the West End at the National Theater this year or next.

There is also going to be a film version.  

"

Wayman_Wong
#80NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/13/17 at 9:27pm

Speaking of Tonys, can we take a moment to acknowledge the legendary costume designer Jane Greenwood, who notched her 21st nomination for ''The Little Foxes'' ... and has YET to win a competitive Tony? Her 1st Tony nomination goes back to 1965, and she's been nominated in EVERY decade since. Her credits include ''Tartuffe,'' ''Hay Fever,'' ''Our Town,'' ''Passion,'' ''She Loves Me,'' ''The Heiress,'' ''The Scarlet Pimpernel,'' ''Act One,'' ''Bright Star'' and ''Long Day's Journey Into Night.'' I would call her the Susan Lucci of the Tonys, but even Lucci won the Emmy on her 19th try. In 2014, the Tonys finally gave her a special award for Lifetime Achievement, but I'd still love to see her break her losing streak. ... Earlier this year, sound mixer Kevin O'Connell finally won an Oscar on his 21st try (''Heartbreak Ridge'' ), so maybe this'll be Greenwood's year, too!

Updated On: 5/13/17 at 09:27 PM

cam5y
#81NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/13/17 at 11:11pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I love Jenn Colella and I'm thrilled she got a nom, but I don't think this was the performance to get nominated for. I love Peil in Anastasia, but she is not going to win.

What would you have preferred for Colella? I think she is crafting a phenomenal performance, every day.

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#82NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/14/17 at 12:02am

HogansHero said: "Although it ends up seeming like a bad joke when it is repeated so often, Ben's inclusion of Off-B shows is rooted in a very specific point and one that is at the core of his perspective on the theatre, viz., that there is way more to NY theatre than Broadway and that he does not want to be fully complicit in the corporate/media elevation of the Tonys and thus Broadway to so prominent a place in the assessment of what deserves recognition. Green obviously agrees and presumably do does the Times editorially.

Right.  And I'm personally with Ben on this.  The Tonys are considered the ultimate award in theatre, akin to winning an Oscar for film.  But the Tonys are much less inclusive than the Oscars -- they are more like what the Oscars would be if the Oscars restricted eligibility to big budget films that played in large cineplexes.  Including off-broadway for consideration in the "should have been nominated" category, while facially absurd, at least highlights that there are ineligible productions and performances arguably as good as or better than those that will receive the most prestigious award.

Updated On: 5/14/17 at 12:02 AM

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#83NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/15/17 at 12:53am

If Rachel Chavkin loses best director, I'm giving up all faith in the American musical theatre.

theater_tech
#84NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/15/17 at 1:51am

^^^ (prints this on a shirt and wears it 24/7)

djoko84
#85NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/15/17 at 6:34am

Wayman_Wong said: "Speaking of Tonys, can we take a moment to acknowledge the legendary costume designer Jane Greenwood, who notched her 21st nomination for ''The Little Foxes'' ... and has YET to win a competitive Tony? Her 1st Tony nomination goes back to 1965, and she's been nominated in EVERY decade since. Her credits include ''Tartuffe,'' ''Hay Fever,'' ''Our Town,'' ''Passion,'' ''She Loves Me,'' ''The Heiress,'' ''The Scarlet Pimpernel,'' ''Act One,'' ''Bright Star'' and ''Long Day's Journey Into Night.'' I would call her the Susan Lucci of the Tonys, but even Lucci won the Emmy on her 19th try. In 2014, the Tonys finally gave her a special award for Lifetime Achievement, but I'd still love to see her break her losing streak. ... Earlier this year, sound mixer Kevin O'Connell finally won an Oscar on his 21st try (''Heartbreak Ridge'' ), so maybe this'll be Greenwood's year, too!

"

It was Hacksaw Ridge lol.

Wayman_Wong
#86NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/15/17 at 12:35pm

You're absolutely right. I mixed up my war films: ''Heartbreak Ridge'' and ''Hacksaw Ridge.'' I can't wait for the musical versions (!). ... Hey, it could've been worse. I could've mistaken ''Heartbreak Ridge'' for ''Heartbreak House,'' and the latter Shaw show is one that has earned Greenwood TWO Tony nominations: 1984 and 2007!