Roman Holiday Previews

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#25Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/26/17 at 8:09pm

Since I'm back in CA for the summer, I'll be sure to check this out - hopefully soon. It's upsetting that this doesn't have an original score - but how big is the orchestra? Does it large? This is the type of show that would seem to demand a large orchestra (of course, if i had my way, we'd have an original score by Guettel). And if they weren't allowed to use songs from ANYTHING GOES, how are they using "Easy to Love" (I also heard this is the 11 o'clock number and "Easy to Love" just doesn't feels like an end of the night showstopper, which is why it works so well in the first act of ANYTHING GOES).

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#26Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/26/17 at 8:18pm

Sally Durant Plummer said: "...but how big is the orchestra? "

From the playbill:

Reeds (3), trumpet, trombone, French horn, violin, cello, bass, drums/percussion, keyboards (2).

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#27Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/26/17 at 8:20pm

A 12 piece orchestra? Roman Holiday Previews

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#28Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/26/17 at 9:25pm

Sally Durant Plummer said: "A 12 piece orchestra?

I am attending tonight 5/26 with my group of 17.  Will also attend opening night 6/6.  I'll try to report on both performances.

"

Dodge3
#29Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/26/17 at 9:54pm

I know - 12 pieces seems small, but the orchestra sounded like double that amount - really filled the space - and the orchestrations were lovely. And yes, the producers mentioned in the publicity materials how they heard "Easy to Love" and "immediately knew we had found our eleven o'clock number" despite the fact that (a) the lyric is all about projecting a relationship, which would indicate early placement rather than climax, and (b) projecting is the one impulse neither of these characters would ever indulge, as the only thing they know for sure is that they will likely not end up together. Forget the fact that "Easy to Love" has been done to death since 1936 (which, incidentally, is the answer to your question: "Easy to Love" debuted in MGM's film BORN TO DANCE; it wasn't interpolated into ANYTHING GOES until the LuPone revival, which is probably why it wasn't off limits here). Like I said, this creative team appears to have no sense of the history of either the songs or the source material.

Updated On: 5/26/17 at 09:54 PM

bear88
#30Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/26/17 at 10:03pm

Too bad that I'm reading such tepid reviews and feedback about both of the Broadway-bound musicals in the Bay Area. Then again, I'm not crazy about musicals based on films, or jukebox musicals, so perhaps it's just as well.

KatVer
#31Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/26/17 at 10:42pm

As much as I love Cole Porter, this musical really calls for an original score. Jukebox musicals work best if the songs drive the story instead of just slapping songs to a story, especially an already well developed, beloved story. 

I remember the producers saying that they chose Cole Porter because they couldn't find someone who could write songs for the show that understood that era. After the success of La La Land which banks on the nostalgia of that era, I know that's not true. 

Updated On: 5/26/17 at 10:42 PM

Dodge3
#32Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/26/17 at 10:53pm

I'm not sure the producers understand the era themselves. I don't recall any dialogue mentioning specifically what year the musical was occurring in. I assumed it was the 1950s because there was serious 'va-va-voom' in the women's costume design and lots of Sophia Loren wig styles, but then the character of Irving remarked that the Mouth of Truth "looks like an old Euro." After that, I was lost as to when it was taking place.

broadwaysfguy
#33Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 1:35am

i was at roman holiday again tonight

they tightened up the first act a bit by dropping a waltz number and a few other minor things that kept the show moving

our princess did try to hold an accent through most of the first act

there was a 10 minute delay in act 2 when a large set piece started moving while georgia engel was sitting on the pieceuch more receptive friday noght of long weekend crowd and georgia got some standup love at curtain and most of the orchestra was standing for the leads at curtain

my partner attended who is a casual musical goer and she liked it a lot. i enjoyed it more tonight than last night, but still spent much of the show fantasizing about who else they could bring in for the two leads, especially the princess

laura osnes would be fantastic and i had not known she had done a reading for this in 2012

i think they tweaked the first act finale which was the full cast chorusing to "ridin' high"

i know a few others from the board were there tonight so will be interesting to get other feedback

Updated On: 5/27/17 at 01:35 AM

broadwaysfguy
#34Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 1:35am

regarding what year this is supposed to be taking place

joe said he was celebrating ten year anniversary of being poated there. given rome was under german occupation until 1945

that would make the earliest timing for the show 1955

the comment about the old euro was dropped from the show

Updated On: 5/27/17 at 01:35 AM

VintageSnarker
#35Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 3:26am

PatrickDC said: "Edited...as I meant to comment on the ending. Per my friend who had seen the film, it follows the film with Anya and Joe not ending up together. I feel this is a problem. We've just spent two hours watching the these two people falling in love. And they don't up as a couple. Ok, it's not likely all that likely that a commoner would end up with a princess, but it does happen, and can't we have the happy ending? Perhaps the older demographic would get this, but younger audiences I think would want the Disney-esque happily ever after ending.  

While it's still disappointing in the movie, the ending is really poignant in a way that elevates the entire movie. From your description, part of the problem seems to be that making a musical that's so light and fluffy, the happy ending seems expected, whereas in the movie there was enough seriousness that the ending didn't feel out of place. The movie is charming and romantic but it's very much a movie for adults. It should be like Bridges but less dramatic. Maybe somewhere between Bridges and Waitress? I posted this in another thread but I could see them possibly making a good musical out of Roman Holiday if they took a more serious approach but not by giving it the Holiday Inn treatment. 

Sally Durant Plummer said: "(of course, if i had my way, we'd have an original score by Guettel)."

I'm not sure it demands his kind of compositions but yes, the kind of emotional depth he brought to Piazza is the approach you need to do Roman Holiday the right way.

KatVer
#36Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 6:53am

Which theater could this transfer to if it does play broadway in the fall?

broadwaygirl10
#37Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 8:48am

@KatVer The Kerr is open and looks about the right size for this. The Cort or Lyceum could also take it. 

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#38Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 11:37am

This is only on for a little over 3 weeks.  Isn't that too short for a pre-Broadway run to make tweaks and gauge audience interest?  Anyway, these "cute" reviews are a little problematic for me.  They just scream "average".  Hopefully, it does get better before I get to see it after opening night.  

Wayman_Wong
#39Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 1:44pm

For the record, here's a video in which Paul Blake (co-bookwriter) and the producers explain why they chose Cole Porter and why they selected certain songs for ''Roman Holiday.''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vofBsxoc24M

Updated On: 5/27/17 at 01:44 PM

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#40Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 4:47pm

Could anyone post a song list? Was there one in the program?

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#41Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 4:57pm

Mr. Nowack said: "Could anyone post a song list? Was there one in the program?"

I posted a link to an image of the playbill page earlier in this thread. It's sort of buried in my mini review. Thought now that I think about it, I didn't follow the playbill during the performance, and I saw a preview, so it's possible things have changed (and are continuing to change).

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#42Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 5:06pm

Oh sorry I missed it!

Nice to see kind of a mix of hits and unknowns, I especially like that they used the song "Look What I Found" from his version of AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS.

Also interesting to hear that they wanted Dietz & Schwartz originally, that would have been really cool to see a jukebox with their songs as I feel they're a little bit forgotten today (I think there was another attempt a decade or so ago that flopped hard).

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

PatrickThomas
#43Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 5:07pm

Mr. Nowack said: "Could anyone post a song list? Was there one in the program?"

ACT ONE

Why Shouldn't I?

You Do Something to Me

Take Me Back to Manhatten (sic!)

Let's Step Out

Experiment

Experiment Ballet

Look What I Found

Night and Day

Look What I Found (reprise)

Ridin' High

Why Shouldn't I? (reprise)

ACT TWO

Most Gentlemen Don't Like Love

Night and Day (reprise)

Use Your Imagination

Begin the Beguine

You Do Something to Me (reprise)

Easy to Love

Goodbye, Little Dream

Just One of Those Things

Experiment (reprise)

broadwaysfguy
#44Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 5:09pm

for mr nowack my cole porter connection!

roman holiday  songlist from may 26th

act 1

why shouldnt i? (mexican hayride)

you do something to me (fifty million frenchmen)

take me back to manhattan ( new yorkers)

let's step out(fifty million frenchmen)

experiment(nymph errant)

look what i found(around the world in 80 days)

night and day(gay divorce)

ridin high(red hot and blue)

act 2

most gentlemen dont like love(leave it to me)

use your imagination(out of this world)

begin the beguine(jubilee)

easy to love(born to dance film)

just one of those things(jubilee)

goodbye, little dream, goodbye( born to dance cut from film)

Updated On: 5/27/17 at 05:09 PM

broadwaysfguy
#45Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 5:09pm

Updated On: 5/27/17 at 05:09 PM

Wayman_Wong
#46Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 6:33pm

It's been reported, as a producer confirms in the above video, that ''Roman Holiday'' had carte blanche to use any Cole Porter songs, except for the ones from ''Anything Goes'' and ''Kiss Me, Kate.'' ... However, if ''Easy to Love'' is in the show, that song was originally written for ''Anything Goes'' in 1934 (and cut). But it was restored in the 1987 and 2011 Broadway revivals of ''Anything Goes.''

Updated On: 5/27/17 at 06:33 PM

broadwaysfguy
#47Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/27/17 at 7:15pm

easy to love was the first song the producers of roman holiday saw as their 11 oclock number, and a part of their original ask to the cole porter trust. obviously the trust approved use of the song for the show so either they looked at easy to love as an exception or considered it not technically part of anything goes original production

while you are technically correct that an original version of the song was written for anything goes according to cole porters notes for william glaxton to sing, it was never used or published. a revised version was updated for jimmy stewart to sing in born to to dance and the song was published in sept  1936 for use in the movie.

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#48Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/28/17 at 10:46am

Thanks for all these reports - I will prob grab a rush ticket at some point to hear the Cole Porter songs & see Georgia Engel (who was so ridiculously charming and highly entertaining to watch on stage in Drowsy Chaperone). There is a former SF Ballet dancer in the Roman Holiday ensemble, Shannon Rugani - so it'll be good to support local talent. 

broadwaysfguy
#49Roman Holiday Previews
Posted: 5/28/17 at 11:32am

my experience is lots of far side orch available for rush seats, and this show is a deal at rush prices, just to hear these marvelous Cole Porter songs performed and fully orchestrated by broadway level professionals.

i  have to admit I looked at my top 100 cole porter songs and tried to play director and look for better "fits" for songs for the right moment of character expression and effect and doing a jukebox is HARD.  Even when a song title may sound like it could fit, you listen through and it just doesnt. 

In this show, there is no song where the princess wrestles with the decision of whether to give up her princess life and run away with Joe, or suck it up and go back to living in the gilded cage. this is obviously THE dramatic decision and pivot  of the show, and there is no song in porters catalog to express it. Of course in the movie, there is no time when she discusses the decision with anyone, and viewer has to read whats on her mind through her emotional responses to Joe when they are having romantic interactions. and depending on your interpretation of the movie, maybe it never was a decision and this was really a quick checkout from reality and responsibility.

One song I really would like them to change is the second act opener, which just doesnt pop for me even though its a song i like, "most gentlemen dont like love", sung by franchesca and four ladies from the chorus.  the song fits the narrative of franchescas frustration that irving wont get married to her, great.  Most gentlemen dont like love they just like to kick it around....

What Is this Thing Called Love, especially the 50s capital records arrangment for Keeley Smith, conveys a similar message and swings like crazy, and I think would get the crowd swinging and could have fun choreography.

I also agree with earlier poster that Let s step out when she is groggy on the park bench is NOT a song a princess would sing, and having anyone singing when they are heavily sedated looks phony and doesnt work well.  they should scrap the song during the bench scene completely cause it just doesnt work. If they want the princess to sing a second I want song (first was why shouldnt i about finding love) about going out and having fun, they could consider Lets misbehave starting at the chorus, and have her singing it from her room before the sleep sedative kicks in. its a much better song and reflects her mood.