pixeltracker

LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour- Page 5

LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#100LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/23/17 at 7:58am

chernjam said: "johannabarker said: "[BLAH BLAH BLAH]"

Here’s our bi weekly bash, rehashing her same old talking points once again.

this is the epitome of Fake News
"

Still thrashing her dead horse.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#101LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/23/17 at 2:32pm

Moving that to the beginning clearly connects the original to the sequel.

Eh.  Only in the most obvious way, which is strictly visual.  The lyrics of the song connect the two in the same way, regardless the position of the song itself.  It's Beneath a Moonless Sky that actually bridges the gap between the two stories.  The original opening was far superior and much more interesting.  Placing Till I Hear You Sing at the top of the show just removes any dramatic tension there may have been prior to the appearance of the Phantom (which admittedly, wasn't much, but little was better than none).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

johannabarker
#102LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/23/17 at 2:40pm

Again, part of the reason Phantom resonates with me is that The Phantom finally grows as a person and learns to love Christine selflessly, to no longer see her a doll to play with, but a real independent person with needs and desires of her own. He realizes he needs to let her go, as hard as it is. The ending is ambiguous, is the Phantom dead like in the book, or where has he gone? 

MCfan and mlsheehan, you are spot on. Sorry that most people in this thread seem determined to view this show in a positive light.

Mister Matt
#103LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/23/17 at 2:59pm

Again, part of the reason Phantom resonates with me is that The Phantom finally grows as a person and learns to love Christine selflessly, to no longer see her a doll to play with, but a real independent person with needs and desires of her own. He realizes he needs to let her go, as hard as it is.

Well, but that's the whole romanticizing-a-serial-killer sentiment POV the producers were banking on, rather than any realistic application of psychological growth.  You could also say he had two people to deal with and an angry mob closing in, so for his own self-preservation, it was quicker and easier to let them go than finish off Raoul and drag a petulant and ungrateful chorus girl around against her will.

I've always found it best to approach both of these shows as the fantasies they are and not take them too seriously.  It's just another step towards Brooke Shields's character on Friends and do you really want that?

johannabarker
#104LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/23/17 at 3:14pm

How is Christine "petulant and ungrateful?" The Phantom taught her how to sing but has also: killed two of her coworkers, tortured and threatened to kill her fiancé, thrown fireballs and a chandelier at her, screamed at her, kidnapped her, etc. You have such a shallow understanding of the events of Phantom. I admit there are parts that are terrible in Phantom, however some of it is quite good.

Why are you even in this thread if you don't even like Phantom? 

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#105LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/23/17 at 3:49pm

Mister Matt said: "Well, but that's the whole romanticizing-a-serial-killer sentiment POV the producers were banking on, rather than any realistic application of psychological growth. You could also say he had two people to deal with and an angry mob closing in, so for his own self-preservation, it was quicker and easier to let them go than finish off Raoul and drag a petulant and ungrateful chorus girl around against her will."

Sure, you can look at it that way if you want to. Audiences are free to interpret shows however they want. It just ruins the character arc, the themes, and the whole point of the story.

As I said, this is hardly the greatest story ever told. But it does have a good theme: that love means willingness to sacrifice for the sake of the beloved. Take away that theme and you take away what makes it work . . . and end up with a craptacular sequel. LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour 

Updated On: 10/23/17 at 03:49 PM

Mister Matt
#106LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/23/17 at 7:52pm

But it does have a good theme: that love means willingness to sacrifice for the sake of the beloved.

Not...really. What is he sacrificing?  He was a murderer, obsessed stalker and kidnapper (he literally abducts her TWICE).  Those are events in the story. LOL  The only "sacrifice" is a figment of his imagination as a result of his illness.  The only thing that "takes away" from the events is the overlay of gothic romance wherein she pities him.  I recognize the sappy emotional overload of the story, but only for the silliness that it is.  I enjoy the show, but I have never been emotionally moved by it.  

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#107LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/23/17 at 8:02pm

And that's fine. We're all moved by different things. But the general idea is that a bad/damaged/sick (take your pick) man realizes that love isn't obsessive and controlling, but sacrificial, and does a good thing in the end. It's a classic theme, and IMHO it elevates the material. To think of it as romanticization of a murderer, as some viewers do -- and as even ALW has come to do, apparently! -- is, I think, to miss the point. 

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#108LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/23/17 at 9:21pm

Mister Matt said: "Moving that to the beginning clearly connects the original to the sequel.

Eh. Only in the most obvious way, which is strictly visual. The lyrics of the song connect the two in the same way, regardless the position of the song itself. It's Beneath a Moonless Sky that actually bridges the gap between the two stories. The original opening was far superior and much more interesting. Placing Till I Hear You Sing at the top of the show just removes any dramatic tension there may have been prior to the appearance of the Phantom (which admittedly, wasn't much, but little was better than none).
"

ITA. I listened to part of the recording again, and I really prefer that version of the intro than Til I See You Again. I love that song but it definitely lost its emotional hold on the audience by opening with it. 

That said, I'll reiterate that the sets were gorgeous and much more than I expected from a touring production. From what I have read about ALW being in Detroit on opening night and the other comments, not surprised at all that they are hoping for a Broadway spot. Not sure if its strong enough to be there, but who knows.

Updated On: 10/23/17 at 09:21 PM

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#109LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/23/17 at 11:33pm

Do they sell any merchandise? Posters and/or souvenir programs?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#110LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 10:36am

johannabarker said: "Why are you even in this thread if you don't even like Phantom?"

That has got to be the most ironic post ever on this forum.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#111LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 10:39am

JoseLee_ said: "Do they sell any merchandise? Posters and/or souvenir programs?"

I haven't seen this tour yet, but if history is any indicator, I'd say that merchandise is 100% likely.

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#112LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 10:40am

Yes. They aren't selling the merch online, though...only at the performances.

Black T-shirt, Red (womens t-shirt), black zippy hoodie, window card, mug, magnets, CDs (of London production), I don't remember a program, but they may have one...that's all I can remember :)

JoseLee_ said: "Do they sell any merchandise? Posters and/or souvenir programs?"

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#113LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 10:47am

mozgrrl said: "Black T-shirt"

Do you recall what the image on the t-shirt is? I treasure mine from the original London run; it seems to be relatively rare since they changed the imagery associated with the show.

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#114LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 10:53am

Yes, I bought one (of course). The black T is a unisex shirt and on the front it says Love Never Dies in their font and on the back is the Phantom mask with some sparkly doo-hickies on it and it says below it "The Phantom Returns". Can you post photos on this board? I can't seem to figure out how to do that or I'd show photos of my merch.

I bought a LND jacket from the opening night London show (2010) at the Broadway Flea. I paid $100 for it, but I freakin LOVE IT. :)

Lot666 said: "mozgrrl said: "Black T-shirt"

Do you recall what the image on the t-shirt is? I treasure mine from the original London run;it seems to be relatively rare since they changed the imagery associated with the show.
"

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#115LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 12:25pm

Odd question for someone who has seen the show (from close) is there a deformity? is there makeup? You see nothing except the bald cap on the DVD and was wondering if they are using anything at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#116LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 12:32pm

Justin D said: "Odd question for someone who has seen the show (from close) is there a deformity? is there makeup? You see nothing except the bald cap on the DVD and was wondering if they are using anything at all."

They used deformity makeup on Mr. Karimloo in the original London production.

Updated On: 10/24/17 at 12:32 PM

johannabarker
#117LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 12:33pm

Lot666, Phantom is one of my favorite musicals, and if you like I could talk to you about quality productions like the British, German and Swedish ones. I'm very active on other websites discussing Phantom. However this is a Broadway board, so I just talk about how I really hate the current Broadway cast and of course Love Never Dies. Also the the new tour.

I guess everyone who hates me on this board should be grateful James Barbour is not starring in this hamfisted sequel. Or maybe they'd love to see me melt down over it. 

Anyway, I've learned that several cast members in this production support James Barbour, so yes, I will take glee when it peters out and never gets to Broadway.

Updated On: 10/24/17 at 12:33 PM

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#118LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 12:34pm

Hi Justin D, yes they did use deformity makeup on the tour :)

Justin D said: "Odd question for someone who has seen the show (from close) is there a deformity? is there makeup? You see nothing except the bald cap on the DVD and was wondering if they are using anything at all."

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#119LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 1:00pm

johannabarker said: "Lot666, Phantom is one of my favorite musicals, and if you like I could talk to you about quality productions like the British, German and Swedish ones. I'm very active on other websites discussing Phantom. However this is a Broadway board, so I just talk about how Ireally hate the current Broadway cast and of course Love Never Dies. Also the the new tour.

I guess everyone who hates me on this board should be grateful James Barbour is not starring in this hamfisted sequel. Or maybe they'd love to see me melt down over it.

Anyway, I've learned that several cast members in this production support James Barbour, so yes, I will take glee when it peters out and never gets to Broadway.
"

To paraphrase your own post, "Why are you even in this thread if you don't even like Love Never Dies?"

johannabarker
#120LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 1:05pm

Why do I even go on this board if I have such contempt for the majority of people on Broadway? Good question.

I'm in this thread because I love Phantom and want to protect the work of the late Steve Barton.

If I can convince anyone to not see this bottom of the barrel piece of #$%#, I'll be happy. And if anyone responds with "Well, now I'm going to spend $200 to see a musical I wouldn't have otherwise to spite you" that's pretty pathetic, coming from me, who most of you despise.

Updated On: 10/24/17 at 01:05 PM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#121LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 2:30pm

johannabarker said: "Why do I even go on this board if I have such contempt for the majority of people on Broadway? Good question.

I'm in this thread because I love Phantom and want to protect the work of the late Steve Barton.

If I can convince anyone to not see this bottom of the barrel piece of #$%#, I'll be happy. And if anyone responds with "Well, now I'm going to spend $200 to see a musical I wouldn't have otherwise to spite you" that's pretty pathetic, coming from me, who most of you despise.
"

I don't think anyone despises you...  But it's quite arrogant that you're taking it on yourself to protect "the work of the late Steve Barton" - for one it's not "his" work, he was an actor in a musical created by ALW and a whole team of collaborators.   I doubt you're going to dissuade someone from going to see this, or out of spite will someone go just to show up someone who seems hell bent on trashing a show.

Most of us can name shows that we couldn't stand.  Few of us would spend time trolling the threads of those to recycle the same talking points over and over again on why this is such a "barrel piece of #$%#" 

Life's too short johanna... 

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#122LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/24/17 at 4:22pm

mozgrrl said: "Hi Justin D, yes they did use deformity makeup on the tour :)

"

Nice, any details? is it similar to the original (Phantom Browdway) or to the London (LND) version? (which was kinda similar to the original but way more unrealistic)

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#123LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/25/17 at 9:45am

Justin D said: "mozgrrl said: "Hi Justin D, yes they did use deformity makeup on the tour :)

"

Nice, any details? is it similar to the original (Phantom Browdway) or to the London (LND) version? (which was kinda similar to the original but way more unrealistic)

"

If I'm not mistaken it's very similar to the original makeup, if not exact, but maybe someone else had a better recollection than me :)

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#124LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour
Posted: 10/25/17 at 9:54am

Thanks for the info, I must say that I am not a fan of the mask to be honest, the pics of Gardar look somewhat ok but I have seen Bronson's photos on his Instagram and it just looks way too big and ill fitting.

side note, always thought that in this production it would have been cool if he changed his mask from time to time to match different outfits, lol