pixeltracker

CFA now the favorite for Tony?- Page 4

CFA now the favorite for Tony?

froote
#75CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 10:30pm

Agree with the others who say DEH shouldn't be getting anywhere near Best Book. Easily the weakest in that category.

GhostXmasPast
#76CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 10:42pm

elphaba.scares.me said: "FWIW, every Tony voter I have spoken to has raved about "Come From Away." Mostly artists but also a couple producers.  

I think DEH has a great shot at book, score, lead actor and featured actress, but I'd give the edge to CFA for Best Musical.

"

Regardless of which shows being discussed - if one show were to win book, score, lead actor (or actress,) and featured actor (or actress) - but not win best musical - somethingvwould have to be seriously wrong in the heads of votes.  ("Umm, yeah, I mean I didn't just LOVE the book or score, and no single actor or actress really did anything great for me - but, they deserve something so I'll vote it best Musical.)

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#77CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 10:52pm

DEH should win best book over that messy, unfunny, unmoving parade of two dimensional characters in CFA.

NYJoe
#78CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 10:53pm

But worse than all that is the endless self-congratulating. I found it unbearable.

... it does sometimes straddle into self-congratulatory, overly sentimental or unrealistically idealised visions 

I find this sort of remark odd, especially since much of the show is verbatim, with numerous participants confirming the veracity of the story, the sentiment, and the actual language used (word for word, in the case of some characters). It doesn't seem to me "self-congratulatory" at all.  It's a true story, and while spending time on this board might suggest otherwise, many people are actually...well...good.  See the lovely story on this board about the plane people who saw it just last week, how they got their tickets, and who said the show was entirely accurate.  

In fact, actual science suggests that humans are wired to cooperate. That's why the show is resonating so far and wide. 

http://www.salon.com/2016/06/21/the_science_of_selfishness_humans_arent_actually_hard_wired_to_be_jerks/

Jarethan
#79CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:00pm

Dear Evan Hansen is going to win musical, book, score, actor and supporting actress, because it deserves them.

I am happy that CFA is a hit, but thought it was just mildly entertaining.  People want to reward the people of Gander by giving the show more praise than is warranted.  

I enjoyed Comet,  but thought the book was a mess and that the score was half excellent / half boring.  i suspect that the show would have closed two weeks after it opened (at least in the old days) if it was not for  the physical production and Josh Groan.  And the physical production owes an awful lot to the 1973 Candide.

I just didn't like Groundhog Day.  I thought the score was uninteresting from beginning to end.  

Evan Hansen is a terrific show, with a very real point to make.  The score is, to me, very memorable; Platt's performance is on e for the history books;  Jones' performance is heartbreaking.  The other shows are not in its league.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#80CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:05pm

Jarethan said: "Dear Evan Hansen is going to win musical, book, score, actor and supporting actress, because it deserves them."

And as this thread reveals, there are many other people on here who totally disagree with this.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#81CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:18pm

DEH doesn't deserve Best Book for 2 main flaws.  Giving his mom the final number in the show.  Words Fail should have ended it.  Why do we all of a sudden need to see the 11 o'clock solo number from the supporting mom character?  And secondly, for the way too tidy, closing scene of rambling dialogue that just perfectly wraps everything up in a nice little bow, without actually concluding anything.

Oak2
#82CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:22pm

Having now seen all of the major nominees, I also hope that the Tonys "spread the wealth" this year. Of the 4 nominees for Best Picture/Book/Musical, my least favorite was by far Dear Evan Hansen, but I won't be surprised if it does win since clearly I'm in the minority in my dislike of it, and even though I didn't like it personally I could still appreciate the power of the performance and that there were aspects of it that were great and award-worthy. My personal favorite is still Come From Away, and I'll be happy if it gets even one award - Best Book would please me, but I'll still cross my fingers for Best Musical as well. I'm sure Great Comet will at least get all the technical awards, and I think it deserves them personally. Groundhog Day was great as well, and it sounds like from what people are saying they think it will be the one shut out, which would make me sad, I do hope it somehow gets something - again I know this is a minority opinion but I felt Andy Karl is the most deserving for Best Actor, or at least I thought he was much better than Ben Platt. (Disclaimer: the one major nominee I wasn't able to see was Falsettos since it was already closed, so I can't speak to those performances. I will of course be watching it when it's on PBS though.). In any case, I still just hope there won't be a sweep, this was a very strong season and all the nominees deserve recognition - I just really, REALLY hope it's not a DEH sweep personally, because it was definitely my least favorite of the 4, and I will still mostly cheer for Team CFA! 

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#83CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 12:01am

I hope Broadway World has a support group for all the Hansen Haters on Sunday night when it sweeps all of the awards that matter. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#84CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 12:02am

Gensho said: "all of the awards that matter. "*

* to be defined later

froote
#85CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 12:06am

Ah yes Best Director, Leading Actress, Featured Actor. Such unimportant awards that don't matter at all!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#86CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 12:12am

froote said: "Such unimportant awards that don't matter at all!"

I agree!

To me, seeing Gavin Creel, Andrew Rannells, Mike Faist, Lucas Steele and Brandon Uranowitz doesn't make me better suited to decide a victor, it just makes me a blessed theatergoer. I'll be happy for whomever wins, but it largely doesn't mean much to me.

froote
#87CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 12:14am

Although I imagine it means a lot to the individual actor and the show that they're a part of!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#88CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 12:15am

I don't think any show is really going to sweep in any notable way. Personal feelings aside, it's obvious that DEH, Comet, and Dolly are all major contenders in several categories, and while CFA doesn't have a lock on anything, I can't imagine it will be shut out completely. I don't expect any show to go home with more than six Tonys- hardly a sweep. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#89CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:09am

I'm just tired of all the Hansen haters. Oh it's the worst book ever, etc. It is one of the greatest musical plays I've ever seen on a Broadway stage and I've been seeing Broadway musicals since I was a child. 

froote
#90CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:13am

Opinions are a thing and if you can't handle seeing ones different than yours then I'd suggest a message board meant for people to share their views is not the place for you. Your opinion that it's one of the best musicals you've seen is no more valid than an opinion that it has a bad book.

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#91CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:15am

I actually think that a majority of critics agree with me. 

froote
#92CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:18am

And what does that have to do with anything I said? Critics are still just humans with opinions and they often disagree with each other.

Updated On: 6/6/17 at 01:18 AM

Jarethan
#93CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:27am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Jarethan said: "Dear Evan Hansen is going to win musical, book, score, actor and supporting actress, because it deserves them."

And as this thread reveals, there are many other people on here who totally disagree with this.

And we only have to wait a few days to see who is right!

Jarethan
#94CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:35am

Tag said: "DEH doesn't deserve Best Book for 2 main flaws.  Giving his mom the final number in the show.  Words Fail should have ended it.  Why do we all of a sudden need to see the 11 o'clock solo number from the supporting mom character?  And secondly, for the way too tidy, closing scene of rambling dialogue that just perfectly wraps everything up in a nice little bow, without actually concluding anything.

I don't see that the mom having the last song is wrong at all.  Words Fail is his admission that he did what he did because, etc.  Her song is a strong statement reminding him that she will always be there for him.  It could not have come before Words Fail...would not have made sense.  

I don't think the last scene wraps it up at all.  The girl is saying that, regardless of his mistakes, he still did something good, and he needs to remember that.  They are not getting back together...he is not going to suddenly become a member of their family again.  It doesn't wrap it up at all...it just gives the audience some hope that Evan will grow from this experience..  

hork Profile Photo
hork
#95CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:37am

I can't wait to see Dear Evan Hansen and Come from Away so I can finally find out which one is garbage and which one is the best musical ever (everyone seems to hold one opinion or the other).

Updated On: 6/6/17 at 01:37 AM

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#96CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:44am

I love both DEH and CFA. I think they're both terrific. Great Comet, on the other hand...

haje
#97CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:45am

I think DEH has the weakest book but I think Come From Away and Groundhog Day have the weakest score. I was especially disappointed with Groundhog Day considering I was a huge fan of Minchin's work on Matilda. Personally, I find Great Comet is probably the only one in which both book and score are really solid but I admire it more than I really like it. Either way all of them are very different musicals and I'm just glad this is a season in which there seems to be something for everyone instead of a season in which the options are all mediocre and there's none to be truly invested in. 

froote
#98CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:47am

And I love Great Comet, like Come From Away (although probably wouldn't see it again) and think Dear Evan Hansen is a bad musical with some good performances and a few good songs/moments. None of the three are close to being the best musical ever in my mind.

froote
#99CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:49am

Agree with most of what you say haje.