Bandstand or Miss Saigon

Nicole Bermeo Profile Photo
Nicole Bermeo
#1Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 12:43am

Taking a friend to see a show, can't decide between these two. Thoughts? 

Cfried
#2Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 12:56am

Bandstand 

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#3Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 12:58am

Depends on what you like. They're very different shows that provide very different experiences,

"Bandstand" has a (fairly homogenous) big band score, a "Lifetime Movie"-esque plot, great dancing, and Tony-winning swing choreography. Decent performances by the two leads.

"Miss Saigon" is a classic with a gorgeous traditional Broadway score, a harrowing and controversial storyline, and no big "dance" numbers ("Morning of the Dragon" notwithstanding). Outstanding performances by the two leads.

Personally, I love "Miss Saigon" and am able to overlook its problematic elements because the score and story sweep me away each time. I found "Bandstand" to have a couple effective moments, but overall to be a fairly bland night at theater. For me, it's not even a contest: "Miss Saigon" without question. But not everybody is like me; some would rather have a light and fun evening than see something heart-wrenching. And that's fine. :)

Hope that helps!

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#4Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 1:52am

How about Sunset Boulevard instead.  Legendary performances by Glenn Close and company.  40 piece orchestra.  Closes next Sunday (25th)

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#5Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 2:02am

Bandstand Hands Down!

Bandstand should have been nominated for best musical and far exceeds in entertainment value  both The Great Comet, ComeFrom Away and Ground Hog Day.   (Don't bite my head off.. my opinion.)

Bandstand is an old fashioned broadway musical with good music and great dancing and story that is involving and doesn't dissappoint. It is a beautiful and underrated musical.

Miss Saigon belongs to the poperretta vein of overly melodramatic pop musicals such as Phantom, Les Miz, the Pirate Queen, Jeckyl and Hyde... the British stuff that ruined Broadway in the 80's. It is considered a classic but it is overrated and takes itself far too seriously. It thinks its M Butterfly set in Viet Nam for God Sakes.

Go see Bandstand. You will have a good time and see a show that shows what Broadway is all about.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#6Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 3:06am

Another vote for Sunset! 

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#7Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 6:22am

Bandstand left me cold and it didn't work for me until halfway through act 2. It is just way too generic and I feel the choreography is more distracting than helping. Miss Saigon, on the other hand, has substance but this means your opinion will vary depending on the way you interpret it. 

sparepart973
#8Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 6:56am

Living overseas, I made two trips to New York between December and May/June and saw just about everything this season had to offer, but Bandstand. The way it's marketed, the way it sounds, I feel it just offers American pride and patriotism on a most condescending and patronizing plate. Plus, it stars Laura Osnes, who has a beautiful voice, but a symbol of Broadway whiteness. 

Miss Saigon is problematic, but having grown up in the '90s and being exposed to musicals then, it holds a special place in my heart. 

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#9Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 7:24am

I don't know why some people always have to confuse the OP even more by suggesting something that's not on their list. There could such a variety of reasons it's not of their choices, in this case the most likely their visit is after the closing date. So that's just not helpful.

Sorry, rant over, but that always annoys me.

I'd pick Bandstand out of those too. In my opinion the story has a lot of substance and a lot of heart. And it's told with a good amount of humor. The music is fabulous, a sweeping big band score with amazing dance numbers (that deservedly won the Tony). I personally think Laura Osnes is great in it, and so is Cory Cott and the rest of the cast, who all play their own instruments! I agree with what someone else said, it should have been nominated for Best Musical (over Groundhog Day, which really is kinda bland and has quite a forgettable score).

Miss Saigon was good too, but I had a few issues with the story and it's just very (melo-) dramatic. Some of the songs are great and the performances all are too. I don't really have much crititical to say about it, overall I just liked Bandstand better and it's definitely the more fun night out!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#10Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 7:46am

Miss Saigon

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#11Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 8:08am

I vote for "Bandstand" also. I will admit I am a fan of big band music and love dance shows. I saw it in April and really enjoyed it, thought both leads were great.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#12Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 8:55am

LuminousBeing said: "Depends on what you like. They're very different shows that provide very different experiences,

"Bandstand" has a (fairly homogenous) big band score, a "Lifetime Movie"-esque plot, great dancing, and Tony-winning swing choreography. Decent performances by the two leads.

"Miss Saigon" is a classic with a gorgeous traditional Broadway score, a harrowing and controversial storyline, and no big "dance" numbers ("Morning of the Dragon" notwithstanding). Outstanding performances by the two leads.

Personally, I love "Miss Saigon" and am able to overlook its problematic elements because the score and story sweep me away each time. I found "Bandstand" to have a couple effective moments, but overall to be a fairly bland night at theater. For me, it's not even a contest: "Miss Saigon" without question. But not everybody is like me; some would rather have a light and fun evening than see something heart-wrenching. And that's fine. :)

Hope that helps!
"

As Luminous said, they are two very different shows. OP, you didn't give any indication as to what appeals to you, so it's difficult to make a recommendation (one man's meat is another man's poison).

Personally, I also prefer Miss Saigon by a mile.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#13Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 9:22am

Miss Saigon.

It's a no-brainer. Miss Saigon is one of the best shows ever written. Can't really say the same about Bandstand.

Updated On: 6/17/17 at 09:22 AM

tomwsjr
#14Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 9:23am

Miss Saigon 

yaoqian
#15Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 9:25am

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Bandstand left me cold and it didn't work for me until halfway through act 2. It is just way too generic and I feel the choreography is more distracting than helping. Miss Saigon, on the other hand, has substance but this means your opinion will vary depending on the way you interpret it. 

"

Agreed! I prefer Miss Saigon over bandstand.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#16Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 9:29am

Miss Saigon. No contest.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ebontoyan
#17Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 11:03am

Miss Saigon

KathyNYC2
#18Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 11:06am

Miss Saigon. Shouldn't miss it. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#19Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 11:54am

goldenboy said:  It thinks its M Butterfly set in Viet Nam for God Sakes.

Well, not exactly. It's based on Madame Butterfly (which M. Butterfly is also based on), and it doesn't "think" it's Madame Butterfly any more than West Side Story thinks it's Romeo and Juliet, or Rent thinks it's La Boheme.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#20Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 12:30pm

Frankly, it depends what kind of shows your friend likes. Miss Saigon is very bombastic and melodramatic and is a tragedy. Bandstand also deals with issues of war, but is ultimately more uplifting and a more big-band style score. 

Personally, I prefer Bandstand. Miss Saigon is a classic, and has some beautiful songs, but it's also an adaptation of a deeply imperialist opera that then manages to amplify the problems already present in the source material. It's hard for me to get lost in the story once I notice those things. Bandstand has its own issues, which have also been discussed at length, but the characters seem more human to me and less of tired tropes. Again, though, it really boils down to personal taste. Hope you and your friend enjoy whichever show you see!

Updated On: 6/17/17 at 12:30 PM

Emmaloucbway
#21Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 1:12pm

Another vote for Miss Saigon! I preferred it to Bandstand, plus it's a great revival of a classic megamusical with two amazing lead performances (Eva Noblezada and Jon Jon Briones).

jonlow09
#22Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 2:00pm

Miss Saigon by miles and miles.

coreman009
#23Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 5:08pm

Bandstand, not even close. First of all, it's NEW. There's nothing like seeing a new piece of theater. Second, the dancing is sensational. Third, the story is powerful and really impactful. Fourth, the score has some incredible hit songs. Welcome Home will move you completely. 

Peronista
#24Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 5:40pm

Bandstand.  I saw it Thursday to see what the show would be like since the Tony's thing. I had to do standing room. STANDING ROOM on a Thursday for a show that didn't even get a best musical nomination.

the energy was unbelievable. A wave of emotion coming from the house and sent back from the stage.  The cast seemed to be throwing caution to the wind and giving no holds barred performances.  

It bore no resemblance to what was on stage at Papermill.  

Something surprising and genuine is happenig on that stage.

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#25Bandstand or Miss Saigon
Posted: 6/17/17 at 5:56pm

Bandstand.