Bette's return

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#25Bette's return
Posted: 7/15/17 at 12:54pm

Bette's Turban said: ""One moment that I'll remember forever:  Right smack dab in the middle of "Hello Dolly" she went up on a line. Did that faze her? Not in the least. She actually finished the line in perfect tempo by singing something about "going up", and a few measures later, during a lull in the song, she did an aside to the audience saying "You should have seen me last night." You can only imagine the reaction. So even when she's "wrong" she's right.

Bette is the best."

Love moments like this.   Love her.   

Bette's Turban? Really? Are you (related to) Liza's Headband? Looking forward to your sister Barbra's Panties to show up any day now...

"

"

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#26Bette's return
Posted: 7/15/17 at 5:05pm

gypsy101 said: "i love Bette but in what way was her two week vacation after doing 3.5 months of 7-performances a week "much earned"?? lots of people do 8 show-weeks for longer without such a long break. not to degrade her in any way, that just seems like a silly statement

"Bette's return

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27Bette's return
Posted: 7/15/17 at 9:21pm

Patti LuPone is almost Bette's age and doing 8 shows a week right now in a role that is far more challenging in terms of vocal and acting demands......bet no one would claim if she took two weeks off now it would be 'much earned'. I guess it's because LuPone makes it look easy/is much more experienced on the Broadway stage so it might seem or actually be less demanding for her. But still - I do find the reactions interesting.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#28Bette's return
Posted: 7/15/17 at 9:24pm

^And you can bet your ass people would be apoplectic if Patti broke the 4th wall and relied on schtick as often as Bette seems to. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#29Bette's return
Posted: 7/15/17 at 9:48pm

I agree that Patti is generally doing more demanding work over at the Nederlander, but I think the "much earned" mentality comes from the fact that Broadway isn't Bette's wheelhouse. This is her first turn on the Broadway musical stage in 50 years, and she's 71. That's a pretty big deal. Meanwhile, Broadway and the musical theatre stage has been Patti's wheelhouse for several decades now. If any woman of a certain age could "do it," it'd be Patti.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#30Bette's return
Posted: 7/15/17 at 10:38pm

qolbinau said: "Patti LuPone is almost Bette's age and doing 8 shows a week right now in a role that is far more challenging in terms of vocal and acting demands......bet no one would claim if she took two weeks off now it would be 'much earned'. I guess it's because LuPone makes it look easy/is much more experienced on the Broadway stage so it might seem or actually be less demanding for her. But still - I do find the reactions interesting.

"

Girl; I don't know what the bug up your ass is.  But I'm quite entertained.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 7/15/17 at 10:38 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#31Bette's return
Posted: 7/15/17 at 10:42pm

DAME said: "qolbinau said: "Patti LuPone is almost Bette's age and doing 8 shows a week right now in a role that is far more challenging in terms of vocal and acting demands......bet no one would claim if she took two weeks off now it would be 'much earned'. I guess it's because LuPone makes it look easy/is much more experienced on the Broadway stage so it might seem or actually be less demanding for her. But still - I do find the reactions interesting.

"

"haha Dame

Bette's return

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#32Bette's return
Posted: 7/16/17 at 6:48pm

Robbie and DAME,  your both very funny and right on point.  Folks creating a issue where there is non. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#33Bette's return
Posted: 7/16/17 at 7:02pm

Maybe I need to think about the tone in which I write but I actually really don't care about this situation, I just find it interesting. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#34Bette's return
Posted: 7/16/17 at 7:37pm

qolbinau said: "Maybe I need to think about the tone in which I write but I actually really don't care about this situation, I just find it interesting. 

"

No need to worry about your tone.  But really.  There is NO situation.  There is a interview with Bette from a few years ago ... I believe in the NYT and I think it was right after I'll eat you last.  In the interview Bette mentions that they had been after her for a while to do Dolly.  But ( and I am paraphrasing and going by memory here)  that she did not believe she had the stamina and technique to do a musical 8 times a week and it scared her.  And the lengthy commitment of time scared her as well.   It was a very honest and sincere interview.   I am sure you can find it if you look .  There is no situation.  I guess the producers wanted her bad enough.  They met her needs and created a wonderful opportunity for Donna to do the show in a limited way which suited Donna's needs.  In another interview which Donna gave she said that this was the perfect opportunity for her since she was now a widow and a single mom and did not want to be away from her child for 8 shows a week.  I am sure you can find this interview as well.  There really is no situation.  Patti is Patti.  Bette is Bette.  They each have their own paths.   

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 7/16/17 at 07:37 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#35Bette's return
Posted: 7/16/17 at 10:33pm

Bette's Turban said: "Robbie and DAME,  your both very funny and right on point.  Folks creating a issue where there is non. 

"

Bette's return Bette's return

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#36Bette's return
Posted: 7/16/17 at 10:52pm

DAME said: "qolbinau said: "Patti LuPone is almost Bette's age and doing 8 shows a week right now in a role that is far more challenging in terms of vocal and acting demands......bet no one would claim if she took two weeks off now it would be 'much earned'. I guess it's because LuPone makes it look easy/is much more experienced on the Broadway stage so it might seem or actually be less demanding for her. But still - I do find the reactions interesting.

"

"For you Dame ~ 

Bette's return

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#37Bette's return
Posted: 7/17/17 at 12:07pm

A little late for Bette's return, but I caught yesterday's matinee and Ms. Midler is still giving such a wonderful performance. Saw it night before the Tony's too and she was wonderful then but maybe because I was lucky enough to be sitting closer this time, she seemed almost better. Her singing is in fine form and she is such a great comedienne. But I think my favorite moment of hers is just before she joins the parade in Before the Parade Passes By. Her hesitation and wonder if she can do this is rather poignant and her joy after is contagious.

She asked the actor playing Ambrose for a line yesterday and before he could help her, she recovered. And in the Dolly number she threw a line I didn't remember last time, "well, we still have next week!" The audience is still having a love fest.

I've seen Donna Murphy 3 times now and Bette twice. The show works with both ladies. Bette might be inherently funnier but Donna is in such great voice and has such command of the character that you really can't miss seeing this production. But you all knew this!

P.S. Why no production photos yet with Donna Murphy as Dolly? Mr. Producer?

Updated On: 7/17/17 at 12:07 PM