pixeltracker

Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?- Page 3

Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#50Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 12:20am

He's way too young and his fanbase is too to warrant a "hit" show next. Everyone I know who is enraptured with him haven't even seen his performance yet. 

The only person I can think of is Muller, I mean she's been in hit show after hit show, but they've all been hits for reasons that I don't think are because of her. Beautiful: Carole King. Waitress: Sara Bareilles. 

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#51Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 9:20am

I've really enjoyed the replies to this thread, I look forward to it continuing.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#52Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 10:20am

While I of course found his performance in DEH excellent, I left the theater more excited thinking about the future of Mr. Platt's career. I'm sure he'll dabble in TV and movies, but I think his heart is in musical theater, and we'll be seeing him in many great theatrical roles. I would love to see his work in She Loves Me, Company, and How to Succeed. I'm sure he'll originate many new roles as well. 

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#53Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 10:54am

Well when he goes on to play Mark in the live tv version of Rent, that will help to greater expand his fan base. 

JBC3
#54Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 11:44am

Seems like if he wants to be a long-term reliable bankable Broadway star then the next stage vehicle or two that he selects will be pretty critical.  I would think they need to scaffold on his success in Mormon and DEH.

Pick something that allows him to shine again in a good enough show that he alone does not need to be the draw, but instead he is a significant value add. Keep building, stretching, and enhancing his already sizeable fan base instead of the next move asking them to come see him in a show that would not hold much appeal for them otherwise.

Updated On: 7/30/17 at 11:44 AM

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#55Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 12:09pm

^Definitely! I don't know yet if he could carry a new, not-well-known show (yes, his theater fanbase is rabid and perhaps his movie cred would help...?) he still seems a bit too niche. However, putting him in a show he wouldn't be carrying by himself, especially one with some name recognition and a slew of other stars/B'way regulars could be GOLD. Another benefit could be the exposure of an older show to a new audience. It seems like most of Platt's uber-fans couldn't tell you the first thing about Company or She Loves Me....putting him in it would be a wonderful way to get a new generation hooked on great shows that they wouldn't necessarily find themselves.

MVintheheartland
#56Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 1:53pm

I think Ben needs to take a well-deserved vacation. Maybe go back to LA, hang out with his family, and think about his next move. The attention he is getting is a little scary, especially from the teen-stalker crowd.

Updated On: 7/30/17 at 01:53 PM

Margo319
#57Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 2:13pm

"Fyiero in the Wicked Film"

Yeah no.  Never.

A lot of the OBC of Hamilton got tv shows, and movie deals.  Ben already has a huge in in Hollywood.  TV and movies are easier, and the paychecks are higher.  So, he will probably want to move back to CA, since he seems to be very close to his family who many seem to live out there.  But, I just hope he takes a year off after November to just chill.  

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#59Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 5:16pm

CorkySt.Clair said: "^Definitely! I don't know yet if he could carry a new, not-well-known show (yes, his theater fanbase is rabid and perhaps his movie cred would help...?) he still seems a bit too niche. However, putting him in a show he wouldn't be carrying by himself, especially one with some name recognition and a slew of other stars/B'way regulars could be GOLD. Another benefit could be the exposure of an older show to a new audience. It seems like most of Platt's uber-fans couldn't tell you the first thing about Company or She Loves Me....putting him in it would be a wonderful way to get a new generation hooked on great shows that they wouldn't necessarily find themselves.

I love this mentality! Many of his fans only love the common, mainstream musicals today (Hamilton, Heathers, DEH, Great Comet, Falsettos, etc), and fail to recognize any of the older- but still golden- shows. Modern musicals are great! But so is the older stuff, and him being cast in revivals of golden age shows could be a really good way to get the younger generations to become fans of them. Look what happened to Falsettos: really niche and underrated, until the new revival. Andrew Rannells and Christian Borle drew in the teen crowd, and so can Ben.

CorkySt.Clair
#60Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 5:29pm

^Yes! I'm really praying for this because my tastes (mostly old/classic/usually Sondheim/sometimes popular shows like Rent/Great Comet) are constantly at odds with my peers. Falsettos is a really good example of this, when I first heard of it I figured it'd always been popular because of the amount of internet love it got! Honestly, I wouldn't mind if there was a sort of mandate/unwritten law that any teen-theater icon had to do an older show at some point.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#61Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 5:32pm

He'd be great for a Merrily revival.  Cast it with stars that appeal to the younger theatre goers and the show may finally be a hit.  The high school and college audiences will probably relate more to that show than the blue haired ladies, that the show seems to usually be marketed to.

CorkySt.Clair
#62Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 5:37pm

GeorgeAndDot, I am swooning over that idea! I (and I'm not a "blue-haired lady"Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show?  Anyone else? relate strongly to that show and I think it would be easy to get high schoolers/college kids into it. Yes, the show is flawed, but from what I know of the good outweighs the bad. It's one of my biggest dreams for that show to get the love it deserves, and Ben Platt could probably do that!!

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#63Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 5:42pm

^^ Yes! Revivals are an amazing way to mix mega stars with newcomers and Broadway actors, in a way that'll appeal to many audiences. The new Dolly revival is a great example; you have Bette and then lesser-known (but still prominement) actors like Melanie Moore, Kate Baldwin, Gavin, and Beanie. There are so many roles I think would fit Ben! I could see him as Georg Nowack, Harold Hill, Tony in WSS, Motel in Fiddler, I could go on and on.