pixeltracker

Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13

Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13

Abbade
#1Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 7:08pm

Well, Ingrid and Oak plays their last shows in August 13 and many of us was pointing that the show could close on this date. Ingrid just tweeted that Brittain WILL perform after the 13. I read some people saying that they have a big star schedule to September, idk. I just hope this show last long (I have tickets to September 30 Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13https://twitter.com/ingridmusic/status/891501983877804032

UPDATE: Brittain also tweeted: https://twitter.com/brittainashford/status/891797184076627968

Updated On: 7/30/17 at 07:08 PM

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#2Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 7:10pm

Who's the "some people" you refer to?

10086Sundays
#3Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 7:15pm

Or she/they can't announce or indicate anything about closing before the official closing notice from the company is released.  Not that I have any inside info, but none of the cast is going to give any hints or drop that news before management does.

I mean, the official GHD twitter is liking and responding positively to people who are tweeting about coming in November and December, despite that it's clearly in trouble.  They're not going to say otherwise until a closing notice is posted.

Updated On: 7/30/17 at 07:15 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#4Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 7:20pm

Well she'll return if the show is still open.

CorkySt.Clair
#5Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 7:23pm

Sundays, that definitely makes sense. No one wants to seem like they're in trouble. I assume, though, that it's a little beyond that to hint at star casting that is potentially nonexistent. Is that sort of thing done? 9then again, whoever said it could be totally right..still though..)

10086Sundays
#6Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 7:26pm

Perhaps it's damage control to try and stop the rumors that show is closing so people will keep buying tickets for after Aug. 13th. Who knows, not us.  We'll know when they tell us.

I'm ignoring the part about people saying there's a star coming in, because it's, to me, a baseless rumor and nothing the cast tweeted is related to it.

CorkySt.Clair
#7Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 7:30pm

Yep, it 99% is a baseless rumor, but I'm not really on social media so I assumed I just hadn't seen it

Margo319
#8Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 7:31pm

They can take a bad hit for the last two weeks of August IF they have an enormous huge star starting exactly September 1st.   Hollywood, big star.  Without that, they are done.  And I don't think anyone wants to go near this show right now.  Sad.

schubox
#9Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 7:42pm

In addition to what others have said, she may have no idea if the show is closing or not. To her, she's coming back, doesn't mean the producers don't come out tomorrow and say the show is closing on the 13th 

bear88
#10Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 7:59pm

I don't think Ingrid would know anything. And while Brittain is a close friend of Dave's, I doubt she would even know. I am not sure anyone really knows, as I imagine they are trying to scramble for a big name as Pierre, which is going to be very difficult after the past week. 

That said, part of me doubts that the show will close Aug. 13. If they announce a closing date on Aug. 20, or Aug. 27, or Sept. 3, I imagine attendance would be fine because many people would want to revisit the show a final time. Even dud shows get a box office boost when they're closing, and Great Comet has a devoted fanbase (albeit not one large enough to support the show for months without a star). If I didn't live on the West Coast, I would certainly go see it again.

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#11Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 8:31pm

Five possible options here, ranked, I think, from most likely to least:

A. Show closes either Augut 20th or 27th, with one or two weeks featuring either Dave Malloy or Scott Stagland as Pierre (or, if they really want to save face, they put Heath Saunders, the only non-white Understudy, on).

B. Show closes August 13th.

C. Show closes September 3rd, Oak graciously agrees to finish out his originally-contracted run despite being totally within his rights to take the money and run.

D. Star for post-labour day is announced, show limps through the end of the summer in hopes of regaining a fall audience. 

E. Another star, probably not as big as Patinkin and possibly not a white dude swoops in to save the day for three weeks. 

Those are my bets. If you will excuse me, I will be off mourning my dream of seeing Weird Al Yankovich play Pierre (Think about it, he'd be F*ing brilliant!)

Updated On: 7/30/17 at 08:31 PM

yeah
#12Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 9:39pm

I feel badly for Grace McLean - she's doing brilliant work in this!  :P

nasty_khakis
#13Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 9:46pm

I know from a 100% reliable source the show had a fall plan post Mandy. I'm not sure what it was but if it's a name I'm sure they're now on the phone 24/7 trying to persuade whoever it was to stay on.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#14Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 9:58pm

Didn't we always assume there was someone lined up "post-Oak" when he was departing in September? The thinking was that's why his engagement was so short- he was bridging a gap between two stars (Groban and this mystery Pierre). 

And Peggy Profile Photo
And Peggy
#15Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 10:01pm

David Brooks as Pierre (with Jake Gyllenhaal as his understudy) and Striata Baguette as Sonya. Problem solved.

yeah
#16Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 10:02pm

Idris Elba?  Samuel L. Jackson?  Will Smith?!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#17Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 10:03pm

But why has it taken so long to announce?  If things are in such dire straights, why haven't they announced to get some momentum???

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#18Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 10:11pm

dramamama611 said: "But why has it taken so long to announce?  If things are in such dire straights, why haven't they announced to get some momentum???

"

Agreed. Something isn't right...

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#19Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 10:11pm

Jake Gyllenhaal was approached by the show before. I have 100% confirmation on that. But he is not doing it.

I truly hope it lasts past August 13. I doubt the show would do a longer run with Heath Saunders, even though he's a very unique performer, simply because he's also one of the primary guitar players in the show and with Ken Clark leaving, they'd have two fill two guitar slots.

Michael Buble? Dan Stevens? Luke Evans? Matthew Morrison? Ewan McGregor?  I'm really just throwing out names.

Margo319
#20Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 10:30pm

"Idris Elba?  Samuel L. Jackson?  Will Smith?!"

They don't do Broadway.  They are busy being huge movie stars currently.  

Margo319
#21Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 10:32pm

If NPH was available, he would be perfect.  Same with Hugh.  But, I don't think they will make it to September and anyone suggesting Oak will help them out after August 13th hasn't really been paying attention to this sh*t show.  

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#22Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 10:47pm

Just going by the desperation in Dave M's tweets, I get the sense that the Pierre after September 3 is not a MAJOR draw --- hence Mandy coming in before then to give them a few weeks of good sales.

But... If they DID (hypothetically) have a big star lined up after Oak, it would make some sense to delay announcing him (whether this was before Mandy's involvement or not) til after Oak's run began. Not trying to knock Oak, but why would someone buy tickets to see him when they could buy tickets to see {insert celeb name} 6 weeks later?

Regardless, they need to announce their post-Oak plans soon.

Jarethan
#23Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 10:49pm

Margo319 said: "They can take a bad hit for the last two weeks of August IF they have an enormous huge star starting exactly September 1st.   Hollywood, big star.  Without that, they are done.  And I don't think anyone wants to go near this show right now.  Sad.

A Hollywood star with a great voice?  Are there any in 2017?

Only one I can think of is Matthew Morrison, who got some credit for selling tickets to Neverland.  Since he is 2 years further away from Glee, and not much to show other than Neverland, would he even sell tickets today?  I like Matthew Morrison, but i can't help thinking that he desperately needs a hit, and this would not be it.

Can't think of anyone else who sells tickets.  Aaron Tveit.  No.  Jake Gyllenhaal...not gonna happen unless his career strategy on Broadway is going to be based on finding 2 month opportunities between movies.  Russell Crowe or Pierce Brosnan (only kidding, but they at least have appeared in musicals).  A conundrum.

LxGstv
#24Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 10:57pm

Jamie Foxx? He can act and sing.

lucas_glenn
#25Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 7/30/17 at 11:12pm

Heard from a reliable source, Justin Timberlake as Pierre.