pixeltracker

What's the problem with Little Mermaid??- Page 2

What's the problem with Little Mermaid??

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#25What's the problem with Little Mermaid??
Posted: 8/22/17 at 4:02pm

The only thing I really remember with this show was being excited about Sherie Renee Scott as Ursula, and then actually hearing her perform "Poor Unfortunate Souls" in character and being incredibly disappointed. All she did was scream throughout it with no character and without good timing.

jtishere
#26What's the problem with Little Mermaid??
Posted: 8/22/17 at 4:54pm

The stage adaptation goes over like a soggy, leaden balloon. That being said, it's redeeming qualities were the game cast, especially Sierra who sounded perfect as Ariel, and some of the additional songs. The "If Only" quartet, "Her Voice," "Beyond My Wildest Dreams" and "One Step Closer" are all gorgeous. "The World Above" is pretty but a poor person's "Part of Your World" that dilutes the impact of the latter.

Rakstovall
#27What's the problem with Little Mermaid??
Posted: 8/22/17 at 4:58pm

Ahh yes, "Beyond My Wildest Dreams" was the song I was thinking of that I really liked, not "World Above." Again, it's been a while. 

And I don't think just because Lion King was so good wasn't WHY Little Mermaid was disappointing, it wasn't a comparison thing for me, more that I knew the underwater stuff would be hard to pull off but I had more faith in the innovative ability because of how they were able to do the animals with Lion King...and then, meh.

¿Macavity?
#28What's the problem with Little Mermaid??
Posted: 8/23/17 at 12:45am

I never saw the show on Broadway, or in it's Denver run, or even it's latest tour, but I did see a local production which used the new format and I'm also very familiar with the OBCR.

Personally, I really liked most of the additional songs. They felt really unnecessary, and yes, some songs felt out of place, but there were some really nice ones in there!

I loved Sweet Child and it's reprise, I thought Her Voice was stunning, and If Only and it's many reprises and pre-reprises nearly brought me to tears by the end!

Now, the show was very painfully flawed and possibly the worst Disney screen-to-stage adaptation made so far. But that being said, there were some very good moments added, I thought. I just tried not to compare it to the film, and that helped a lot.

I can't really defend The Contest... but I will say, it did get a chuckle out of me. I did like how sweet the scene got towards the end before Ursula popped in. Also, during the scene at the end-ish when Ursula confesses to killing Ariels mother, the underscoring, while simple, did give me chills. Also, I love the reprise of Poor Unfortunate Souls.

I also really liked that they at least attempted to make Prince Eric more interesting.

I enjoyed the show much more than I thought I would. I know it wasn't well done, and it's dialogue and pacing was painfully bad a lot of the time, but I found charm in it.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#29What's the problem with Little Mermaid??
Posted: 8/23/17 at 7:40am

They should never got rid of All Good Things Must End either from the demo , was such a perfect song 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#30What's the problem with Little Mermaid??
Posted: 8/23/17 at 8:37am

I'm surprised Francesca Zambello's name has not come ups yet...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

binau Profile Photo
binau
#31What's the problem with Little Mermaid??
Posted: 8/23/17 at 8:43am

jtishere said: "The stage adaptation goes over like a soggy, leaden balloon. That being said, it's redeeming qualities were the game cast, especially Sierra who sounded perfect as Ariel, and some of the additional songs. The "If Only" quartet, "Her Voice," "Beyond My Wildest Dreams" and "One Step Closer" are all gorgeous. "The World Above" is pretty but a poor person's "Part of Your World" that dilutes the impact of the latter.

"

Haven't seen the show but I agree - the recording is actually really lovely at points to me! Sierra really delivered a great performance. And love 'Her Voice'. Maybe the show is better heard than not seen - but if I could go back in time I'd be curious to see it from this recording. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#32What's the problem with Little Mermaid??
Posted: 8/23/17 at 3:19pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "Back in 2006 there was a demo recording floating around of Emily Skinner as Ursula. She had a one-joke song called "Wasting Away" and a Vanessa reprise of "Poor Unfortunate Souls."
"

While we are talking about that demo recording.... can I just add how much I really miss the demo version of "If Only" which originally was meant to be just a duet between Ariel and Eric. No Triton, no Sebastian. And it was beautiful. It was sweet yet a little sad at the same time but ultimately what Ariel and Eric's relationship REALLY needed.

The song started with a "conversation" between Eric and Ariel but since she could not talk back, he did all the taking. He is confiding his thoughts and feelings into her until eventually she is singing her inner thoughts and feelings for the audience to hear but he can't. He just keeps talking and not realizing she is trying to reply to him. It's sweet to see Eric confiding in Ariel what he can't/hasn't with other and it's heartbreaking to hear her desperately wanting to tell him how she feels. So then AFTER the conversation, he leaves and we hear him lamenting having feelings for Ariel like in the final version, but it works better cus they actually interacted for more then 10 seconds.

Then here comes Broadway with the daddy and the crab busting into the middle of the love song when the relationship was in some major need of development. Grrrrrrrr.

Videos