Phantom Broadway 30th?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#200Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/27/18 at 2:18pm

labellaragazza1 said: "PanaroFan111 said: "I saw Hugh Panaro in Sweeney Todd this past weekend, hes still got a tremendous voice and his acting is still amazing. I saw him after the show and I mentioned that Joback is leaving next month how about coming back for a limited run, he laughed at the suggestion. Didn't seem promising Phantom Broadway 30th lol"

As much as I would love a new face, I would kill to have Hugh back, even just for a bit. His Phantom is just magnificent.
"

Absolutely. He's still one of my all-time favorites.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#201Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/27/18 at 2:21pm

mozgrrl said: "Honestly, the Phantom should be in his 40's, right? It was so weird seeing LND, which takes place 10 years later and seeing Bronson in the role (baby face)....loved him, but sheesh they should cast a 50 year old guy (or at least something close to that age) in LND IMHO."

They should be casting an older performer in both shows. I blame this young-and-pretty trend on Cameron Mackintosh.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#202Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/27/18 at 3:11pm

Lot666 said: "mozgrrl said: "Has anyone heard rumors or have guesseson who will be the next Phantom after Peter? His last performance is March 31st, I think..."

If I believed in god, I would be praying that they don't mine anyone from the tour.

Please, please, no young pretty boys! Please get someone who looks old enough to be Christine's father, and more importantly, someone who can actually sing!
"

I would love Derek Davies from the tour to come to the broadway production, he has an amazing voice.

I don't know why but for some reason I got the impression that the producers could not get who they really wanted at the time, therefore they went with bringing Peter back again for such a short time (not that there is anything wrong with bringing him back) I just got the impression that whoever they really wanted or were looking at could not come in that soon. Mind you this is all in my head, lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#203Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/27/18 at 3:25pm

I was thinking the same thing about Derrick Davis.  Hope it happens.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

MannPhan24601
#204Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/27/18 at 3:36pm

DottieD'Luscia said: "I was thinking the same thing about Derrick Davis. Hope it happens."

He's starring  in a opera about MLK in Toledo and Charlotte in April and May.Maybe somebody will have a limited run after Peter or he extends then  Derrick could be Bway Phantom ?

Updated On: 2/27/18 at 03:36 PM

Fosse76
#205Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/27/18 at 4:03pm

Lot666 said: "mozgrrl said: "Honestly, the Phantom should be in his 40's, right? It was so weird seeing LND, which takes place 10 years later and seeing Bronson in the role (baby face)....loved him, but sheesh they should cast a 50 year old guy (or at least something close to that age) in LND IMHO."

They should be casting an older performer in both shows. I blame this young-and-pretty trend on Cameron Mackintosh.
"

The Phantom is a "ghost," so he should have no discernible age, but that age sounds about right. Since in the show, Christine is in the corps de ballet, that role should be cast with a rather young-looking actress. After all, the ballet girls of the corps de ballet in 19th Century Paris would have been in their teens. Lest we forget, ballet girls were, in addition to being exceptional dancers, expected to lure wealthy patrons. Not only for their advancement in the Opera company, but also to eat and live (they were paid less than subsistence level wages).

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#206Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/28/18 at 6:53am

I would love to see Derrick Davis back in the role. IMO, he is an extraordinary Phantom, although he is on the young side. Even though I’m not too fond of the touring version of the show, he was extraordinary.

I also think Katie Travis is a top-notch Christine - better than almost all the other Christines. She has already joined the NY company, and a promotion could be in the cards.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#207Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/28/18 at 8:56am

Fosse76 said: "The Phantom is a "ghost," so he should have no discernible age"

The Phantom is not a ghost; he's a flesh-and-blood man who has been mythologized by the denizens of the opera, who fear him. He should definitely have a "discernible age".

Fosse76 said: "Since in the show, Christine is in the corps de ballet, that role should be cast with a rather young-looking actress. After all, the ballet girls of the corps de ballet in 19th Century Paris would have been in their teens."

Agreed. Yet they keep casting Christines who look 25-30 years old and Phantoms who look 25-35 years old. This girl is supposed to be a teenager and he's supposed to be old enough to be her father.

TheatreRocks Profile Photo
TheatreRocks
#208Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/28/18 at 9:04am

I'm pretty sure he is not a flesh and blood man. It's in the name, THE PHANTOM of the opera. And a human man is not physically nor scientifically capable of the many things he does throughout the show. Disappearing in the chair at the end, the fire lazers, ect.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#209Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/28/18 at 9:15am

TheatreRocks said: "I'm pretty sure he is not a flesh and blood man. It's in the name,THE PHANTOM of the opera. And a human man is not physically nor scientifically capable of the many things he does throughout the show. Disappearing in the chair at the end, the fire lazers, ect."

I suggest you read the source material; the title character is most definitely a flesh-and-blood man (in fact, he actually dies at the end of the Leroux novel).

In the musical, he sings "This face, which earned a mother's fear and loathing". Later, Madame Giry recounts to Raoul her discovery of the phantom at a traveling fair, as "a man locked in a cage, deformed since birth"; Raoul replies "So, our phantom's this man?"

As I stated earlier, he has simply been mythologized by those who are frightened of him.

Updated On: 2/28/18 at 09:15 AM

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#210Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/28/18 at 9:34am

TheatreRocks said: "I'm pretty sure he is not a flesh and blood man. It's in the name,THE PHANTOMof the opera. And a human man is not physically nor scientifically capable of the many things he does throughout the show. Disappearing in the chair at the end, the fire lazers, ect."

He is a flesh and blood man. He is called a "Phantom" because he messes with everyone in the opera and they all think it's a "ghost". As Madame Giry stated in the ALW production..."He's a genius. He's an architect and designer. He's a composer and a magician."...hence the reason for his ghostly "bag of tricks"....

sellingout2
#211Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/28/18 at 9:35am

Lot666 said: "They should be casting an older performer in both shows. I blame this young-and-pretty trend on Cameron Mackintosh."

It's entirely Cameron. He's told the NY production that they should avoid hiring back the older performers now, in favor of the younger, newer actors. With a few exceptions, they haven't hired anyone back that's done the shows before for the past few years, and those that they have are hired as swings, and don't get to play the lead roles they once played. He was a great producer once but his recent choices are just bizarre.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#212Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 2/28/18 at 9:52am

sellingout2 said: "It's entirely Cameron. He's told the NY production that they should avoid hiring back the older performers now, in favor of the younger, newer actors. With a few exceptions, they haven't hired anyone back that's done the shows before for the past few years, and those that they have are hired as swings, and don't get to play the lead roles they once played. He was a great producer once but his recent choices are just bizarre."

I personally don't think it's fair to automatically dismiss everyone who has ever appeared in the show before. However, if he's insisting on "new blood", fine; but they could still cast performers who are age-appropriate. Not every young soprano and 30+ tenor has been in Phantom already.

MannPhan24601
#213Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 3/7/18 at 3:53pm

Any rumors on Peter's replacement yet?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#214Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 3/8/18 at 7:52am

I've heard nothing and it's very frustrating because I'm coming up at the end of May and I want to buy a ticket while there are still good seats available, but I want to know whom I'm going to get.

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#215Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 3/9/18 at 2:17pm

Lot666 said: "I've heard nothing and it's very frustrating because I'm coming up at the end of May and I want to buy a ticket while there are still good seats available, but I want to know whom I'm going to get."

According to the POTO FB page it's Ben Crawford starting April 16th...thoughts???

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#216Phantom Broadway 30th
Posted: 3/9/18 at 2:19pm

mozgrrl said: "According to the POTO FB page it's Ben Crawford starting April 16th...thoughts???"

Because this no longer has anything to do with the 30th celebration, I started a

Latest Posts