LATIN HISTORY FOR MORONS Previews- Page 2

LATIN HISTORY FOR MORONS Previews

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#26LATIN HISTORY FOR MORONS Previews
Posted: 10/25/17 at 11:03pm

BuddyStarr said: "WhizzerMarvin said: "I was there tonight and mostly enjoyed myself. I preferred this to Ghetto Klown and I liked the side we got to see of John, the parent. Like all one-person plays of this nature that I've ever seen, some parts are funnier than others and of course, all of them go on a little too long. Still, Latin History has a nice arc with a pay off.

The funniest bits are often the diversions from the history lesson (e.g. John's visits with his Tim Gunn sounding psychiatrist) so I understand the reticence to cut such things as they garner big laughs.

Leguizamo is an easy person to spend a few hours with and if we judge our politicians by who we'd like to share a beer with, he's an actor I'd like to share a beer with after the show.

The rear mezz of Studio 54 still has the worst leg room on Broadway. :/
"

I was there tonight also. It was an interesting show. More a play than his typical characters. In fact I wish he had done more characters than the 'lecturing" style of the show. While at time humorous, I never really laughed at any of the "one liners". Ok, maybe at the "Super Gay" one.

I was also surprised he wasn't more political with all the stuff going on nowadays. I don't believe that someone advocating for the Orange Cheeto would go and see his show anyway so a little politics would have been nice.

We sat in the front mezzanine side and had good viewing angles. There is no intermission and the show lasts about 90 minutes. While he does translate some of the Spanish he speaks there are other times that you won't get the whole joke if you don't know the language.

As Whizzer said, John is always enjoyable to spend an hour or two with but if you're going expecting tot see a non-stop laugh riot of a show, this isn't it. While the show is in previews, I also hope he gets a little more political.
"

OMG. I saw the most recent revival of Cabaret there. I have bad knees and long legs and my ticket from TKTS was for the rear mezzanine. I was in absolute agony to the verge of tears. I’ve never done this before but I had to get up during Act 1 and stand in the entryway. Luckily, the ushers were very understanding and were able to re-seat me in an aisle seat (the guy who had that seat was larger and taller so they gave him an usher seat at the entryway) during intermission.

@z5
#27LATIN HISTORY FOR MORONS Previews
Posted: 10/25/17 at 11:05pm

Has anyone done the TodayTix rush for this yet?

Curious where seats are/have been.

Alfie6
#28LATIN HISTORY FOR MORONS Previews
Posted: 11/1/17 at 11:46am

I liked this overall, it's an entertaining show with lots of laughs and I actually feel like I learned something! The show goes back and forth between JL talking about Latin history and talking about his life generally as a father. I thought the history parts were more interesting than the many scenes involving him at his kid's bedroom door. I was seated in the first row of the rear mezz and the rear mezz sides were sold all the way up but the rear mezz center was totally empty. The set is an elevated classroom on the stage so if even if you are higher up the view is great. This is one of the better things I have seen this fall and a great night out for people who want to laugh and learn some history. He does get very political in the end talking about Trump/immigration/Puerto Rico which makes sense. There were a bunch of jokes I missed since I don't speak Spanish but they brought the house down a anyway, if anyone can use a Spoiler toggle and post some jokes that non-speakers probably missed that would be awesome. There is a also  a bunch of Jewish humor since he talks about his wife who is Jewish. 

annang
#29LATIN HISTORY FOR MORONS Previews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 2:32pm

Opening night tickets for 11/15 are available on the TDF members site now.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#30LATIN HISTORY FOR MORONS Previews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 2:53pm

annang said: "Opening night tickets for 11/15 are available on the TDF members site now."

Yep picked one up a few hours ago. Been meaning to see it, so opening sounds good

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#31LATIN HISTORY FOR MORONS Previews
Posted: 11/13/17 at 8:01am

I don’t think any other show I have seen in my life has left me as offended and uncomfortable as Latin History for Morons did. I don’t offend easily at all, but I thought that John Leguizamo crossed way too many lines by miles with his tasteless and tactless jokes.

The show was not funny in the slightest to me. The whole show consisted of John Leguizamo making poor jokes about pretty much every group of people imaginable. Thank god this was somewhat short, because I could hardly stand sitting through this as it is.

It is clear that I am in the minority here based on the reviews on here and the audience reactions at my show. This was just not for me in any way.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "