pixeltracker

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions- Page 5

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#100Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 2:33pm

Brooks Gray said: "Also btw the way Regina gets hit by the bus made me scream with laughter!"

YES! It was hilarious. I whispered to my partner right before the scene, 'I wonder how they are going to pull of the bus hitting Regina."  Brilliant.

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#101Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 2:44pm

"Also btw the way Regina gets hit by the bus made me scream with laughter!"

I was curious about this. Can someone explain that or DM me? Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#102Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 2:46pm

theatretenor2 said: "Brooks Gray said: "Also btw the way Regina gets hit by the bus made me scream with laughter!"

YES! It was hilarious. I whispered to my partner right before the scene, 'I wonder how they are going to pull of the bus hitting Regina." Brilliant.
"

How is she hit by a bus? lol

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#103Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 2:50pm

They take an actual bus and run the actress playing Regina over with it. seven out of ten times, she dies

"In memory, everything happens to music"

Brooks Gray
#104Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 3:23pm

It happens super fast. Cady and Regina argue outside the school, Regina stops to face Cady and says something. A bus that is like drawn on a screen (I think it’s drawn on, painted maybe idk) flies out (literally in one second) and it goes to a blackout. However the animation on the backdrop screen shows Regina fly off in a hilariously fake fashion. It works so well for the campiness of this show!

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#105Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 3:32pm

BakerWilliams said: "They take an actual bus and run the actress playing Regina over with it. seven out of ten times, she dies"

Nothing Like Live theatre!

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

ForB4
#106Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 4:55pm

There's already some audios on tumblr btw

BroadwayNoob
#107Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 5:00pm

Can anyone compare this to Groundhog Day? I'm looking in to buying tickets when this hits Broadway

ted2go
#108Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 6:14pm

ForB4 said: "There's already some audios on tumblr btw"

Just found one of Barrett's songs and the Plastics Intro <3 <3 <3

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#109Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 6:23pm

For the first time ever, I'm going to surprise myself since I'll be there in 2 weeks.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#110Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 7:36pm

Barrett's song is SPECTACULAR. Her voice positively soars.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#111Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 8:39pm

I'm really loving Barrett's song and "Justice" (what the audio on Tumblr called it, I think it's the opening number with Cady?). The score feels- from what I've heard- very reminiscent of Legally Blonde and Next to Normal; that kind of mid/late 000's pop rock sound.

ForB4
#112Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 8:53pm

Itonlytakesajourney said: "I'm really loving Barrett's song and "Justice" (what the audio on Tumblr called it, I think it's the opening number with Cady?). The score feels- from what I've heard- very reminiscent of Legally Blonde and Next to Normal; that kind of mid/late 000's pop rock sound."

Justice is actually the Act 1 closer (the "You Can't Sit With Us" scene)

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#113Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 8:55pm

I hate to say it but with Barret narrating who the plastics are it sounds so much like Beautiful from Heathers. Oh well. I love the song Justice though. I think they should tell the story without the narrators but thats just my two cents. 

Edit: i cant base my thoughts off one song so mabye it does work. I cant judge it without seeing it! shame on me!!!

Updated On: 11/1/17 at 08:55 PM

theatretenor2
#114Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 9:05pm

Brooks Gray said: "It happens super fast. Cady and Regina argue outside the school, Regina stops to face Cady and says something. A bus that is like drawn on a screen (I think it’s drawn on, painted maybe idk) flies out (literally in one second) and it goes to a blackout. However the animation on the backdrop screen shows Regina fly off in a hilariously fake fashion. It works so well for the campiness of this show!"

I'm pretty sure the bus came out on stage and wasn't a projection.

theatretenor2
#115Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 9:08pm

How do I find these?

ForB4
#116Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 9:13pm

theatretenor2 said: "ForB4 said: "There's already some audios on tumblr btw"

How do I find these?
"

Search up the blog theaterstuff1

drewalexander
#117Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 9:32pm

Wait, I’m surprised no one asked this yet. What happened with the phone call scene? Is it still there? If so, how did they do it?

h6p8gv
#118Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 9:43pm

DId they do the fight scene if so how did it look

theatretenor2
#119Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 10:10pm

drewalexander said: "Wait, I’m surprised no one asked this yet. What happened with the phone call scene? Is it still there? If so, how did they do it?"

Nope. Not there. There is a scene where two of the girls seem to be voice texting though.

Leadingman19
#120Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 10:55pm

theatretenor2 said: "drewalexander said: "Wait, I’m surprised no one asked this yet. What happened with the phone call scene? Is it still there? If so, how did they do it?"

Nope. Not there. There is a scene where two of the girls seem to be voice texting though.
"

Yikes. This may be just my experience but I’ve only ever seen people over age 40 using voice texting ...

theatretenor2
#121Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 10:59pm

h6p8gv said: "DId they do the fight scene if so how did it look"

Yes, all the men in the ensemble dressed up as women and joined all the women in the ensemble for a riotous and cleverly choreographed battle involving lots of dummyography.

theatretenor2
#122Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 11:00pm

Leadingman19 said: "theatretenor2 said: "drewalexander said: "Wait, I’m surprised no one asked this yet. What happened with the phone call scene? Is it still there? If so, how did they do it?"

"

Yikes. This may be just my experience but I’ve only ever seen people over age 40 using voice texting ...
"

Maybe they were just externalizing what they were typing. Either way, it was very brief.

curel1
#123Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/1/17 at 11:01pm

Leadingman19 said: "theatretenor2 said: "drewalexander said: "Wait, I’m surprised no one asked this yet. What happened with the phone call scene? Is it still there? If so, how did they do it?"

"

"

It wasn't voice texting, it was them just reading out their texts.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#124Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions
Posted: 11/2/17 at 1:36am

I saw it tonight. I was expecting something as awful as Legally Blonde and was pleasantly surprised.

The book is really good. One of the better movie-to-show adaptations I've seen. The added dialogue actually improves the show instead of making me mad like Legally Blonde did. And it's really funny. People cheer during big movie meme lines- "On Wednesdays, we wear pink", "She doesn't even go here" etc. but they've definitely updated it. It's not just a copy and paste of the script onto the the stage so you wish you'd saved $150 to stay home and watch the movie instead, but it also doesn't do that thing where they take all the good movie lines and turn them into songs so you don't get to enjoy them in context.

Agree with others, the supporting actors are great- Grey and Barrett, Ashley and Kate. The leads are fine, but IMO they don't carry the show in the same way Rachel McAdams and Lindsay Lohan carried the movie.

The music is ok. Where Do You Belong works well in the cafeteria scene. Did not like Apex Predator and it seemed to go on for a long time. I didn't like any of Regina's songs. The only standout solo song was Janice's I'd Rather Be- or whatever the song is after she confesses about Cady. Karen's song about slutty Halloween costumes was more funny than an amazing theatre song.

I usually hate projections, but I liked the set. The images were stationary unless they were transitioning, so I didn't feel seasick watching the background sway and move for no reason the entire show (*cough Dear Evan Hansen). The classroom transitions were well done.

The projections also included a few subtle jokes in the mall store names- Suburban Outfitters, Sapphora. There was a shoe one I'm blanking on. Also a gender neutral bathroom sign.

Overall, I'd see it again if I can get cheap tickets. Also, since it's Wednesday, I want to say about 25% of the audience was wearing pink- men included.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 11/2/17 at 01:36 AM