pixeltracker

Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade- Page 3

Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade

johnmichael
#50Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 6:05am

HBBrock said: "They were awesome."

the rest of the internet didn't seem to think so.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#51Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 9:26am

Remembering the classic words of the immortal Sheridan Whiteside:

"I MAY VOMIT."

veraclaythorne2 Profile Photo
veraclaythorne2
#52Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 9:53am

UncleCharlie said: 
Unless you wantto see every show that opens on Broadway (which is fine if you do) or you have young kids, I really can't see why any childless adult would want to spend two and a half hours watching this. As Dramamama said, it'd be cute for a young child but that's about it. Didn't get it when the show was announced and still don't after watching that number."

When it was announced, I didn't get it either - I'm 35, and the cartoon started when I was in college. All my friends loved it, but it wasn't on my radar. My middle-school aged cousins used to watch it when they were little, and they were obsessed. I still couldn't get past the annoying theme song. 

I went to a preview a few weeks ago with a TDF ticket, sheer curiosity, and no expectations. This childless adult had a blast, along with all the other people my age, whether they were with kids or not. It's certainly not a show for everyone, but I wouldn't judge it based on this parade performance alone. 

I don't believe for a moment that the production was designed solely for young kids - while they could make up a key demo (and I'm sure parents are thrilled to have something they can take them to on Broadway), the style of the show (from the musicians who contributed to the old-school Nickelodeon vibes) is definitely a nod to an older crowd, which makes sense since so many initial Spongebob fans are well into adulthood now.

Many people won't like it, but it's more than just a kids' show cash grab. I appreciate having some unbridled optimism and sunny days on Broadway, and I hope it does well.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#53Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 10:37am

Well said. I also probably rolled my eyes when I heard this was coming to Broadway. And unless this show turns out to be phenomenal, I will be miffed if The Band’s Visit does not win best new musical at The Tony Awards next year. But here is the deal: if it is done with originality, at the of the day, I do not really care what the source material is.

It is interesting. On the Macy’s Day thread, one person is bemoaning that Dear Evan Hansen’s performance of You Will Be Found was a downer and all the performances should have been as hyper-energized and upbeat as Spongebob’s. Which is pretty ironic considering that You Will Be Found is probably the most hopeful song in the show’s score (even if it often makes me cry). Then on this thread you have someone(s) advocating almost the opposite stance. People are correct to be concerned about the commercialization of Broadway. But this is not really new. It just appears to be happening with more frequency now, whether or not that is actually true. I’m no Broadway scholar, but it appears that since the beginning of Broadway, shows have been based on a variety of sources: books, film, cartoons, etc... To me what matters most, is the originality and craft used to translate from the original source(s) to stage. I’d much rather watch a successful stage adaptation than a purely original show with poor craftsmanship (I.e. underwhelming score and book, unconvincing performances, etc...) or a poorly done revival of a classic musical. In relation to musicals based on commercial source materials, I am still not sure which camp Spongebob will fall into yet. It does have a score comprised mainly of songs written solely for the show. They were not too literal in their interpretation of the costumes. To me, their parade performance did feel like a song from a Broadway show. So those are all in the plus column for me. I am more positive about the show than I was before. So mission accomplished I suppose. Still not sure I am the audience for this show, but time will tell.

Updated On: 11/25/17 at 10:37 AM

Myron
#54Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 1:05pm

In the actual show., does SpongeBob wear a costume ? I liked the performance but was disappointed with the costumes. Hope at the actual show, they wear better costumes. I still miss Broadway on Broadway which was held every September.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#56Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 3:03pm

Myron said: "In the actual show., does SpongeBob wear a costume ? I liked the performance but was disappointed with the costumes. Hope at the actual show, they wear better costumes. I still miss Broadway on Broadway which was held every September."

Those WERE the costumes....and I actually thought they were a nice blend of  cartoon character along with keeping the actors human.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#57Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 3:32pm

Those WERE the costumes....and I actually thought they were a nice blend of cartoon character along with keeping the actors human."

Exactly. If they had been made to look exactly like the cartoon characters, it would’ve come across way more as a show you would find at a theme park. This reminds me of The Lion King. Whatever flaws that show has (and it does), one of the best parts is that Taymor and company didn’t try to literally attempt to visually recreate the characters exactly as they appear in the movie. In fact, I’d argue if they had, the show likely would’ve shuttered a long time ago. 

I’d also argue that if Spongebob himself was exactly as he is in the cartoon, he’d have to be an actual sponge meaning you wouldn’t be able to see his face. Not only would that be creepier (to me), but that would scream “theme park”, limit the demographic for this show even more to just young kids and their parents, and would make it harder to relate to the character as you wouldn’t be able to see the actor’s face as he is performing. Yes, I know I just wrote about emotionally relating to a sponge. (Poster shuffles off in shame...)

Updated On: 11/25/17 at 03:32 PM

herewegoabc
#58Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 3:47pm

I'm pretty sure anyone going to see Spongebob Squarepants knows upfront that he's a sponge. I don't think they need an actual sponge costume to make their point. I agree that having a character costume would be way too theme park.

Updated On: 11/25/17 at 03:47 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#59Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 3:50pm

herewegoabc said: "I'm pretty sure anyone going to see Spongebob Squarepants knows upfront that he's a sponge. I don't think they need an actual sponge costume to make their point. I agree that having a character costume would be way too theme park."

^Exactly! 

UncleCharlie
#60Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 4:21pm

Miles2Go2 said: "herewegoabc said: "I'm pretty sure anyone going to see Spongebob Squarepants knows upfront that he's a sponge. I don't think they need an actual sponge costume to make their point. I agree that having a character costume would be way too theme park."

^Exactly!
"

Costumes need to evoke the character. I'm pretty sure anyone going to Book of Mormon knows upfront the two lead characters are Mormons but that doesn't mean you dress them in a t-shirt and board shorts. He's a sponge and needs to look like a sponge. Cut a hole in the top so his face can peek through. How freaking hard is that?  This isn't dinner theater in Florida. This is.... Broadway!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#61Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 4:29pm

I’d say the costume(s) do evoke the character(s). Are you saying The Lion King would’ve been better if the actors were actually wearing animal outfits with cutouts for their faces?

UncleCharlie
#62Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 4:36pm

At least they're trying to come close. As opposed to SpongeBob whose costume is more appropriate to a 1930's vaudeville performer than a sponge. 

Image result for lion king broadway

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#63Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 4:47pm

The actor is wearing Spongebob’s actual outfit from the cartoon. I get that it would be great to find a way to more visually represent the look of Spongebob, but I don’t how you do that without invoking the theme park milieu. Given that challenge, I think they found the best solution they could. Who knows though? I’ll likely never see the show and it’s probably only within that context, one will ever say if the costumes work (for him or her). By the way, anyone know how the successful Charlie Brown Broadway production handled costuming for Snoopy?

veraclaythorne2 Profile Photo
veraclaythorne2
#64Spongebob just rocked that performance on the parade
Posted: 11/25/17 at 4:56pm

UncleCharlie said: Costumes need to evoke the character. I'm pretty sure anyone going to Book of Mormon knows upfrontthe two lead characters are Mormons but that doesn't mean you dress them in a t-shirtandboard shorts. He's a sponge and needs to look like a sponge. Cut a hole in the top so his face can peek through. How freaking hard is that? This isn't dinner theater in Florida.This is.... Broadway!"

I think any real "sponge-like" costume would have looked silly (in a bad way) for the show. Considering the many physical feats Ethan Slater is asked to execute in the production, the less he's covered, the better it probably is for him, so I'm sure that was a consideration as well. He easily inhabits the character without needing a full costume, as do the others. Sandy doesn't have a tail or her glass helmet, and it doesn't matter - she's still everything she needs to be.