pixeltracker

Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?

Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#1Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?
Posted: 12/8/17 at 11:00am

I enjoyed Fiasco's Into the Woods and was curious about their take on Twelfth Night.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?
Posted: 12/8/17 at 11:24am

I saw it this past Sunday. It's a fun one, but it's more straightforward and not as innovative as their Into the Woods. Ben Steinfeld (one of the co-directors) plays Feste, and he was the highlight for me, though the whole cast does a great job. The use of music throughout is lovely, and the rustic nautical theme is cool atmospherically, but only minimally relevant to the play. I can see why CSC picked this up, as it feels very in line with the kind of thing Doyle does in terms of the use of space, and actors playing instruments. Not my favorite Twelfth Night, nor my favorite Fiasco production, and I think those two factors hampered by experience a bit. I found Into the Woods so thoroughly enjoyable, so I had inflated expectations for this. And similarly, I fell head over heals for the brilliant National Theatre production of Twelfth Night earlier this year, so having that version fairly fresh on my mind made it harder to appreciate this one by comparison. But those things aside, it was a solid and enjoyable production. I expect people on this board will like it. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#3Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?
Posted: 12/8/17 at 11:30am

I saw Mitch Jarvis play Feste in the Pittsburgh Public's production of "Twelfth Night" earlier this year, and I wish that production could have transferred. The original musical settings were fantastic- I'm still humming "The Rain It Raineth." Plus, the unique focus on the comedy worked- "Cesario" was never wide-eyed or too sincere. Instead, she was distinctly amused and overjoyed at the adventure she was lost in, and the actress (whose name I forget) had this fantastic Michael J. Fox quality about her as she juggled her male and female selves.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?
Posted: 12/8/17 at 12:31pm

I'm just glad that CSC is putting up Fiasco's productions rather than having John Doyle direct another stark, humorless production.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#5Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?
Posted: 12/8/17 at 12:42pm

It's fine. Not bad, but not very interesting. Low on the wattage.

"In memory, everything happens to music"

little_sally
#6Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?
Posted: 12/11/17 at 10:09am

I'll answer my own question here: this production is, to sum it up with one word, inessential. Fiasco doesn't bring anything special to the text, nor does it seem like there's any real reason for them to do this play other than because they wanted to. It reminds me a great deal of the CSC As You Like It from the fall, and it looks like they're even using the same exact design elements. John Doyle even did the set!

My major qualm is that it felt like Toby, Feste, and Maria's play. It felt like Olivia and Viola were the subplot, not the main focus.

But on a positive note, Ben Steinfeld has a lovely singing voice.

jonah3500
#7Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?
Posted: 12/11/17 at 4:34pm

If there is anybody under 18 on here there are $5 tickets available for anybody who is between 13 and 18 here:
https://teens.artsconnection.org/events/fiasco-theaters-twelfth-night-or-what-you-will-teen-takeover/

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#8Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?
Posted: 12/12/17 at 9:22am

little_sally said:
My major qualm is that it felt like Toby, Feste, and Maria's play. It felt like Olivia and Viola were the subplot, not the main focus.

Interestingly, Sir Toby has the largest line load in the play. Viola is the protagonist, but Twelfth Night really is an ensemble piece. Midsummer, As You Like It, and even Much Ado are as well, really. It’s the histories and tragedies that have the big “star vehicle” roles.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#9Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?
Posted: 12/12/17 at 10:08am

It all comes down to the directorial vision: a romance with comedy, or a comedy with romance? The Pittsburgh production I mentioned above was definitely a comedy first, and highly slanted towards the clowns.

little_sally
#10Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?
Posted: 12/12/17 at 10:18am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "little_sally said:

Interestingly, Sir Toby has the largest line load in the play. Viola is the protagonist, but Twelfth Nightreally is an ensemble piece. Midsummer, As You Like It, and even Much Ado are as well, really. It’s the histories and tragedies that have the big “star vehicle” roles.
"

Interesting. I guess every time I read it/see it, I think of it as Viola's play.

Alfie6
#11Any reports on Twelfth Night at CSC?
Posted: 12/20/17 at 10:16pm

This was pretty bland but I was prepared for much worse having slept through CSC's As You Like a few months ago. This production was nowhere near as lifeless but still pretty dull. I kept thinking about this past summer's Twelfth Night by The Public's Mobile Shakespeare Unit which was joyous, colorful, and exploding with energy. I did enjoy the music a lot and that was probably the strongest part of the show. I just don't get why the theater felt so dark, very dim lighting. For a comedy, this didn't feel very fun.