pixeltracker

Mad Ones Miles for Mary at Playwrights

Mad Ones Miles for Mary at Playwrights

Alfie6
#1Mad Ones Miles for Mary at Playwrights
Posted: 1/12/18 at 1:09pm

Caught the first preview and this is so fantastic, I would quickly put it on your Off-Broadway radar. The first scene starts out a little slow but the show really picks up steam after that first scene. It reminded me a little of Antipodes without the strange supernatural elements. 

Basically, there are a group of teachers who over the course of a few months are trying to plan a telethon in memory of a former student, each scene involves a different aspect of planning the telethon which I won't spoil. The setting is Garrison High in 1988 Ohio and how they pulled off the 80s vibe down to every single detail is mind blowing.  The audience (and myself) were laughing hysterically. This is far and above the best thing I have scene at PH in recent memory. The show runs 1.45 no intermission. 

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#2Mad Ones Miles for Mary at Playwrights
Posted: 1/12/18 at 1:33pm

I was there last night as well, and agree that it is an excellent play.  Brantley wrote a good, on point review when it was Off Off Broadway last season:  https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/theater/review-miles-for-mary-a-sendup-of-the-interminable-meeting-from-hell.html?_r=0

A great launch for Playwrights new Redux Series, which, as stated in the program, seeks to address the problem that "vital, groundbreaking work that in a larger venue might profoundly impact the field is too often seen by an insider crowd, unable to find the broader audience that it demands.".  Kudos to them for starting this series.

Updated On: 1/12/18 at 01:33 PM

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#3Mad Ones Miles for Mary at Playwrights
Posted: 1/14/18 at 12:47pm

I'm so happy to see The Mad Ones in a prominent Off-Broadway venue. I've loved their amazing work for years; Samuel & Alasdair: A Personal History of the Robot War remains one of the most remarkable theatrical experiences I've ever had. I've had the pleasure to see all four of their plays. The specificity and naturalism of their work is truly incredible.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#4Mad Ones Miles for Mary at Playwrights
Posted: 1/14/18 at 5:02pm

I love love loved this at the Bushwick Starr. One of my favorite shows of 2017.

Go see it!

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#5Mad Ones Miles for Mary at Playwrights
Posted: 1/14/18 at 9:14pm

Saw it tonight. I think it’s good, if not great. The writing is amazing, although I do find some of the cast struggling a little bit with their roles, but time will solve that. I do think, however, that because it is too funny in parts some people in the audience also laughs in the more emotional moments. The laughing feels, personally, crass and cruel in these moments but perhaps this is exactly the point of the play.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6Mad Ones Miles for Mary at Playwrights
Posted: 2/25/18 at 10:51pm

Caught the final performance this evening and loved every minute of it. They pretty much nailed the small town school teacher committee thing. The Genesis LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY reference and the coffee pot had me on the floor!

Kudos to the cast for totally ignoring the extremely loud ringing phone owned by the woman sitting directly behind me in row F. It rang five times or more before she could find it and shut it off. She was whispering "Oh my god no, oh my god no"  as people started turning to look. I just lifted my finger and pointed to get behind me as i continued to watch the play.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 2/25/18 at 10:51 PM

LightsOut90
#7Mad Ones Miles for Mary at Playwrights
Posted: 2/26/18 at 1:37am

in a just world this show would transfer to Broadway next season, its just that good

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#8Mad Ones Miles for Mary at Playwrights
Posted: 2/26/18 at 10:34am

I was thinking the same thing. It would have to be I a smaller house and maybe a limited run.

Just give the world Love.

LightsOut90
#9Mad Ones Miles for Mary at Playwrights
Posted: 2/26/18 at 5:28pm

Second Stage should put this in the Hayes next spring

Videos