Lost In The Stars?

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#1Lost In The Stars?
Posted: 1/25/18 at 1:54pm

Recently I picked up Alan Paton’s Cry, the Beloved Country and am thoroughly enjoying it. From some internet sleuthing I discovered Lost in the Stars, the last show Kurt Weill composed for, was based off of it. Has anyone had experiences with both book and show/cast album? Would you recommend? Thanks in advance; I always greatly value your opinions
-Corky

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#2Lost In The Stars?
Posted: 1/25/18 at 2:22pm

Don't know anything about the show, but Patti LuPone did a lovely cover of the title song on her Patti LuPone Live! CD/concert series back in the mid-90s. Because she was not allowed to perform any Sunset Blvd. material prior to the production (but she was already announced to star - she even exclaims that on the CD), she used this song and included some Norma Desmond lines. It was very effective and chilling, giving a sense of what she would bring to Norma later. And it was a great way to close out her show. It's heartbreaking to listen to now, knowing the whole Sunset debacle was going to explode shortly after this was recorded.

Jarethan
#3Lost In The Stars?
Posted: 1/25/18 at 2:41pm

I saw a production at the Imperial 40 - 45 years ago.  I remember being bored, but I also still remember several of the songs, despite never having heard them since; so, I think that speaks well for it.  I can't imagine it being successful unless revived by a non-profit or unless the lead role is played by a singing Denzel Washington, i.e., a name actor with a great voice.  

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#4Lost In The Stars?
Posted: 1/25/18 at 4:40pm

The Goodman Theatre Chicago revived the show in 1993 retitled Cry The Beloved Country, and featuring an unnecessary new book by Frank Galati.
It was okay, but the production itself has long been forgotten.

The Other One
#5Lost In The Stars?
Posted: 1/25/18 at 8:57pm

I enjoyed the Encores presentation seven years ago.

https://www.newyorktheatreguide.com/news-features/lost-in-the-stars-encores-announce-cast

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#6Lost In The Stars?
Posted: 1/25/18 at 9:37pm

The recording of the 1958
NY City Opera production is
absolutely gorgeous. It was
remastered and released on
CD in 1993.

You can download it on
iTunes for $9.95. (The
OBCR is also there, but
despite the presence of
Todd Duncan, I don't think
it is as well sung.)

(Disclaimer: I don't know the
novel or the show, so I can't
know whether the score is
representative of the material
you are reading.)

Cesare2
#7Lost In The Stars?
Posted: 1/26/18 at 2:59am

As stated above, Encores did the show a few years ago, with Chuck Cooper in the lead.  A few years before that, BBC Radio broadcasted an excellent live performance of the musical.  The Broadway revival that flopped at the Imperial starred Brock Peters.  A film was later made with Peters, Clifton Davis and Melba Moore for Ely Landau's American Film Theater subscription series.  The film was directed by Daniel Mann.  I would not recommend the film, though; it is not very well done and its ending is wildly at odds with that of Paton's great novel, as well as the Kurt Weill and Maxwell Anderson stage musical.

Alan Paton was a great writer and humanitarian.  His TOO LATE THE PHALAROPE is another great read.  Done right, LOST IN THE STARS is deeply moving,.  The endings of both acts are quite powerful.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#8Lost In The Stars?
Posted: 1/26/18 at 8:10am

The Elvis Costello and Brodsky string quartet rendition of the title song is indispensable.