Can I be sappy for a second?

IlanaKeller
#1Can I be sappy for a second?
Posted: 2/12/18 at 3:28pm

I know we talk a lot, sometimes in grandiose terms, about the importance of arts. And they deserve that, of course, but it also can seem very abstract at times.

A man from Mexico traveled to BroadwayCon, and was a bit anxious about the way he would be received in this country, as sad as that is.

His response afterward really blew me away. 

"You made me feel welcome in a country that I thought I would not be welcomed, you proved me and a lot of people in my country wrong.

"Gracias. From the bottom of my heart and back here in Mexico, thank you."

It was so thrilling for me to hear his stories of the bridges that the weekend, and theater in general, built.

Anyone else have a concrete impact story to share?

Here's the full column with his whole reaction, with photo gallery and video, if anyone cares to check it out:

BroadwayCon's reach is more vital than ever

Twitter: @IlanaKeller Latest work: app.com/topic/asbury-park-broadway/

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#2Can I be sappy for a second?
Posted: 2/12/18 at 3:30pm

To be fair, Trump did also say that some of them are good people. Can I be sappy for a second?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3Can I be sappy for a second?
Posted: 2/12/18 at 4:31pm

Plus many performers on Broadway have Mexican heritage. Most notably, the fabulous Bianca Marroquin.

I bet he’s unaware of this and assumes Broadway is just all-American actors. The standard response when people are informed that global nationalities appear on Broadway nightly: “wow, I did not know that.”

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#4Can I be sappy for a second?
Posted: 2/12/18 at 4:39pm

Why don't you just post "Read My Blog" every time you start a new topic?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

IlanaKeller
#5Can I be sappy for a second?
Posted: 2/12/18 at 4:43pm

Mister Matt said: "Why don't you just post "Read My Blog" every time you start a new topic?"

Well for one, it's not a blog.

I do have to admire your gumption and dedication in tracking down and posting this every time, though. E for effort.

Twitter: @IlanaKeller Latest work: app.com/topic/asbury-park-broadway/

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#6Can I be sappy for a second?
Posted: 2/12/18 at 5:01pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Plus many performers on Broadway have Mexican heritage. Most notably, the fabulous Bianca Marroquin.

I bet he’s unaware of this and assumes Broadway is just all-American actors. The standard response when people are informed that global nationalities appear on Broadway nightly: “wow, I did not know that.”
"

I am 100% sure he knows who Bianca Marroquin is and what she’s done, she’s well-known in Mexico. But alas.

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#7Can I be sappy for a second?
Posted: 2/12/18 at 5:09pm

Mister Matt said: "Why don't you just post "Read My Blog" every time you start a new topic?"

I think her job is to get hits on the website Can I be sappy for a second?
----

Here is the full post/ statement from Jose Damian, made on Feb. 1 (so it's not really new) :
"So, I finally got myself to write this, the con blues were horrible.

Thank you so much to everyone for making these 3 days the best of my short life, you have no idea how overwhelming was your kindness and warm to me.

Thank you to the wonderful kid who tried to make me fat by making me try all the different American candy, to the guys who shared their ribbons while I was just sitting down from exhaustion, sharing stories with me and laughing at whatever was happening, to the girl who started talking to me at the closing ceremony just because I said something silly to myself.

Thank you to all the amazing cosplayers who let me get a picture with them, your costumes were awesome!

Thank you to all the people who randomly said hi to me just because I was dressed as Usnavi, and the kids from school of rock who actually wanted a picture with me!

Thank you to everyone in general for accepting me as part of the community, for having the patience while I tried to say something that I didn't knew how to say or mispronounced anything, you made me feel welcome in a country that I thought I would not be welcomed, you proved me and a lot of people in my country wrong.

Gracias. From the bottom of my heart and back here in Mexico, thank you." 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#8Can I be sappy for a second?
Posted: 2/13/18 at 8:18am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Plus many performers on Broadway have Mexican heritage. Most notably, the fabulous Bianca Marroquin."

Rodney Ingram, currently playing Raoul in Phantom on Broadway, is also from Mexico.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage