pixeltracker

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews- Page 6

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#125MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 12:56am

I’m told by my friend now that in the end...

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Rather than ambiguous reconciliation between Eliza and Higgins, Eliza LEAVES by exiting the theatre (not even the voms, but by the audience’s exit/entrance door).

Updated On: 3/16/18 at 12:56 AM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#126MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 12:57am

Yes, Bartlett took a stand, unlike the wishy-washy approach O’Brien has taken with the porch scene in Carousel. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

blm2323
#127MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

WhizzerMarvin said: "MM, the sets are more lavish than those for King and I and probably equal to South Pacific, though Henry’s residence is the biggest wow of the three. It reminded me of that massive turning set in Act One- which I believe won a Tony.

Re the ending: I’m usually a purist with revivals. I want every note of the score and every line of the book, and we get that here, but with a big tweak that I think totally works today. (Even though no one has spelled it out, it must be obvious what Sher decided to do...) It might upset some, but I thought it worked.
"

Why not a compromise? They’ve both learned and grown. She can still show her indepenbce without leaving him behind.

I think of the revival of Kiss Me Kate, where in the finale, she winks at the audience, letting them know that in no way she will be submissive to him. 

After Eight
#128MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

"After Eight, I’m curious, what did you think of the entire production prior to the ending?"

It's completely irrelevant.

It's like saying, how was your meal before they served your ice cream with mud on top?

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#129MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 12:59am

Thanks Whizzer for the answer. smiley

And speaking of designs, I found an Instagram picture of the show curtain/thrust stage and it looks freaking AMAZING!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgXcm-zHhYF/?tagged=myfairlady

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#130MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 12:59am

After Eight said: "It’s like saying, how was yourmeal before they served your ice creamwith mud on top?"

Well, considering there were 3+ hours prior to the end, I’d still love to know what your thoughts were during them all! MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#131MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:01am

BroadwayConcierge said: "I’m told by my friend now that in the end...

Rather than ambiguous reconciliation between Eliza and Higgins, Eliza LEAVES by exiting the theatre (not even the voms, but by the audience’s exit/entrance door).

"

Thanks! I think that could be a fair interpretation of the final scene. 

After Eight
#132MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:07am

^

Broadway concierge,

I'm sickened and appalled at the arrogance and presumption I witnessed this evening.

And that is all I have to say about this production.

You can find out all you need to know about the rest from the various theatre experts on this board. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#133MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:10am

Sounds like Shaw would have LOVED that ending.

It seems like this production succeeded on almost all counts including being a perfectly faithful production except for one thing that allowed AE to wallow in his outrage as he loves to do. So something for everyone to enjoy.

Updated On: 3/16/18 at 01:10 AM

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#134MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:11am

Love the sound of that ending!

Weird question, I know: is Eliza a redhead?

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

binau Profile Photo
binau
#135MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:13am

So let me understand - Higgins, as immature, condescending, annoying and possibly sexist as he might be - takes a poor, uneducated person off the street and helps her make her way. Then as thanks she takes everything he gave her and leaves him to rot away by himself? What kind of ending is that? It seems to change the tone of the ending completely from something more complex and ambiguous to something rather sad and depressing. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 3/16/18 at 01:13 AM

degrassifan
#136MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:15am

kade.ivy said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "I’m told by my friend now that in the end...

Thanks! I think that could be afair interpretation of the final scene

wait, I’m confused...

So she leaves Henry’s mom’s house and just doesn’t come back to Henry’s home? So after “Ive Grown Accustomed to Her Face,” there is no “Eliza, where the devil are my slippers?”?? 

After Eight
#137MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:17am

^

And something that seems to be of no concern to our experts here:

It's the presumption, qolbinau, it's the presumption.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#138MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:19am

She won his bet for him. She doesn't owe Higgins her entire life to devote to him and be his companion. Shaw wrote an extensive epilogue pretty much saying she does NOT go back to Higgins and actually marries Freddy. Shaw wanted this to be a story of Eliza's independence but it became more about how they should be together for the audiences, which incensed him. The only reason Lerner/Lowe (and the Wendy Hiller/Leslie Howard film) gave a more ambiguous ending was to appease the audience who were and still are programmed to ship them and give it a nice romantic angle if they choose to read it that way and to stay close to the spirit of Shaw (who probably wasn't too happy with the film ending) by not making it obvious they they end up together romantically.

Also, about Higgins giving her a better life...one of his suggestions was to marry her off which Eliza (in both Pygmalion and My Fair Lady) perfectly replies with when she was a poor girl selling flowers all she did was sell flowers, not herself, but now that he made her into a "lady" that was all she was fit to do. So there's also something to think about regarding Eliza needing to be grateful to Higgins for the rest of her life. Also, without the whole plan to pass her off as a Duchess, Eliza just wanted to pay him with her money to teach her how to speak a bit more "genteel" so it wasn't like she was begging for charity.

Updated On: 3/16/18 at 01:19 AM

WhizzerMarvin
#139MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:26am

Eliza is a redhead. It looked like Ambrose didn’t even wear a wig, but her hairstyle changed so many times that they must have been wigs?

With the ending- I guess the show is old enough, and certainly Pygmalion is old enough, that we don’t have to use spoilers to discuss it.

From everything I’ve read I agree that Shaw would very much love this ending. He was strongly opposed to Henry and Eliza having any sort of happy ending and actively fought productions of Pygmalion that attempted to give them one.

I know the ending of My Fair Lady is usually far more ambiguous, and the film version almost implies that they’re going to a be couple.

I don’t see Eliza as being ungrateful at all for what Higgins has given her. She was a bet and an object to him. She is thankful, but moving on with her life. She’s empowered. It reminded me of A Doll’s House. I thought for this production in 2018 it really worked.

It’s not like Bartlett cut up the book and softened Henry for the #metoo movement. Every word is in and he lets it play out as written, with just a slight alteration in stage direction at the end (which admittedly makes a big impact). Still, I think the choice can easily be defended by following Shaw’s wishes.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#140MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:37am

Interesting RE: background about the original intentions. I mean it does seem like it could be a plausible ending given the events of the show (and as mentioned how awful Higgins can be). But what a bold choice for a musical that seems to be almost universally beloved. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 3/16/18 at 01:37 AM

Ravenclaw
#141MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:45am

So did they change the line Henry has before "A Hymn to Hymn" when Pickering is on the phone with the police and they ask her hair color and Henry shouts from the next room, "Brown!"? Such a small little change, just a little curious.

In that final scene, does Eliza come in, turn off the phonograph, say "I washed my face and hands before I come, I did," Higgins says his line, and then Eliza exits the theatre? Was it strange for her to exit thirty seconds after re-entering? 

I'm totally open to playing around with the ending. In Gary Griffin's great chamber production in 2002, he staged that final scene with instead of a gramophone, Henry was walking down the street hearing Eliza's voice in his head, and then he runs into Eliza, and they say their final lines as a coy way to recall the ups and downs they experienced together. I think any production of My Fair Lady has to deal with the fact that this final scene doesn't honor Shaw's intentions, which after sticking to his words verbatim for so long, feels off. The scene as written just never works today--in productions I've seen recently, even the conservative elderly patrons around me complain about that ending. However, whenever I see Pygmalion, the ending is shockingly abrupt and lacking in resolution. The best productions of My Fair Lady play the final scene in unique ways to honor Shaw's intentions and give some resolution.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#142MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:48am

When I saw the recent Julie Andrews directed-production, the feeling I had coming away from the show is that we just simply don't know what the future has in store for them. They had a complex relationship, and maybe they will be in a relationship - maybe they'll just maintain a good friendship (only) - maybe they'll dissolve. But it seemed ambiguous and I liked that. Maybe my 'reading' of this scene wasn't even correct and most people just assumed they'd end up married and have a happy ending (I'd prefer not to have such a heavy-handed approach). 

Updated On: 3/16/18 at 01:48 AM

blm2323
#143MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:50am

I understand the original intentions of Shaw - I’d just like a happier ending :)

It doesn’t mean they have to be lovers, but the hope for friendship and reconciliation would be nice to imply.

They’ve both made each other better.

WhizzerMarvin
#144MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:50am

Yes, the line is changed on the telephone call. He says her hair is red instead of brown. I assume if the understudy is blonde or brunette, then the color will change again.

Yes, she comes in, does the phonograph bit- all exactly word for word as in the script.

Loved your post, Ravenclaw. I think you have the right attitude with how the ending should be approached.

blm2323
#145MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:53am

Ravenclaw said: "So did they change the line Henry has before "A Hymn to Hymn" when Pickering is on the phone with the police and they ask her hair color and Henry shouts from the next room, "Brown!"? Such a small little change, just a little curious.

In that final scene, does Eliza come in, turn off the phonograph, say "I washed my face and hands before I come, I did," Higgins says his line, and then Eliza exits the theatre? Was it strange for her to exit thirty seconds after re-entering?

I'm totally open to playing around with the ending. In Gary Griffin's great chamber production in 2002, he staged that final scene with instead of a gramophone, Henry was walking down the street hearing Eliza's voice in his head, and then he runs into Eliza, and they say their final lines as a coy way to recall the ups and downs they experienced together. I think any production ofMy Fair Ladyhas to deal with the fact that this final scene doesn't honor Shaw's intentions, which after sticking to his words verbatim for so long, feels off. The scene as written just never works today--in productions I've seen recently, even the conservative elderly patrons around me complain about that ending. However, whenever I see Pygmalion, the ending is shockingly abrupt and lacking in resolution. The best productions ofMy Fair Ladyplay the final scene in unique ways to honor Shaw's intentions and give some resolution.
"

Yes I found it odd for her to come in and then leave immediately.

It’s late so not thinking too clearly but why DID she come back?

WhizzerMarvin
#146MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:58am

blm, I believe this can be seen as a happy ending too, at least for Eliza. Do you think A Doll’s House has a happy ending? I guess one could see it as a sad ending for Torvald and the kids, but it’s so liberating for Nora that I’ve always viewed it as a happy ending.

degrassifan
#147MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:59am

In addition to saying “red” instead of “brown,” was the line “about 21” changed as well (in reference to Eliza’s age during tbe same phone call)?

WhizzerMarvin
#148MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 2:00am

No, her age was still stated as 21.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#149MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 2:08am

Almost forgot to ask this: How is Christopher Gattelli's choreography?

Videos