pixeltracker

Japanese Musicals coming to broadway?

Japanese Musicals coming to broadway?

Oldies m
#1Japanese Musicals coming to broadway?
Posted: 9/16/18 at 11:39am

Do you think their will ever be a chance for musicals from japan to make it to broadway?

I'm no okaku or anything but It be interesting to see some of the musicals they have made based of the Anime/manga their to make it to broadway.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2Japanese Musicals coming to broadway?
Posted: 9/16/18 at 1:18pm

What are some of the musicals?

I am semi-addicted to the NHK-World channel. They sometimes feature the arts over there but it is mostly traditional or current pop.

Just give the world Love.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#3Japanese Musicals coming to broadway?
Posted: 9/16/18 at 6:16pm

the term is “otaku”

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4Japanese Musicals coming to broadway?
Posted: 9/16/18 at 6:20pm

Sometimes I peruse the Toho channel on YouTube. There appear to be some original Japanese shows there, along with imports like Les Miz and Jersey Boys. There's a Marie Antoinette one whose origins I don't know about. I wonder how many are wholly homegrown Japanese works.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TohoChannel

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#5Japanese Musicals coming to broadway?
Posted: 9/17/18 at 7:52pm

Marie Antoinette is actually of German origin; it's written by the guys behind Rebecca.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#6Japanese Musicals coming to broadway?
Posted: 9/17/18 at 11:47pm

but It be interesting to see some of the musicals they have made based of the Anime/manga their to make it to broadway.

Those tend to not be very good... and done on the very cheap comparatively to what their source would require. They're not exactly Broadway caliber in terms of design and the stories they're telling aren't really meaty enough to excuse a lacking production design.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#7Japanese Musicals coming to broadway?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 12:07am

LizzieCurry said: "Sometimes I peruse the Toho channel on YouTube. There appear to be some original Japanese shows there, along with imports like Les Miz and Jersey Boys. There's a Marie Antoinette one whose origins I don't know about. I wonder how many are wholly homegrown Japanese works.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TohoChannel
"

Just checked it out. Thanks for sharing that.

Just give the world Love.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#8Japanese Musicals coming to broadway?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 11:24am

I think there are some Japanese tv shows, films, graphic novels, and books that would be great material for musicalization. The problem is that if they were to transfer to the U.S. would they lose their Japanese flavor which is a big part of the original material thus altering and decreasing the impact of such material.

Updated On: 9/18/18 at 11:24 AM